Practical-experiences using the Neo X

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Nice Monkey, Jul 25, 2021.

1. mirak

mirak Member

I used a calibrated professional balance weight for that.
    Strange that Zidoo never communicates the weight of their products !

2. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Updated with some FW 6.3.40 changes including the Front Panel controls: Now "Switch" and "Front Panel Snapshot" can be mapped to colored buttons on the remote.

The front panel view pictures have all been enhanced using the second feature. I hope you like it.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
  3. mirak

mirak Member

Nice Monkey likes this.
  4. Nice Monkey

Very nice review.
    Yeah the really weak point is still the Music Player APP coming with it. Most of the reproduction flaws have been solved with the latest FW which is really good news. Gapless MCH reproduction is the biggest flaw remaining. The processing and visualisation of metadata is also slowly getting better and more accurate.

But it is not flexible enough to deal with big and complex collections using different album formats. Still using the file browser myself for selection which frankly suits me fine.

As the french review states 'a lot of work to do for Zidoo" as the platform deserves it for sure.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2021
    muha likes this.
  5. maxhim

maxhim Active Member

I also use a file browser for my collection, but many times I don’t know where to find a certain song among a lot of music. That’s why I’ve been looking everywhere for a music file catalog app for android (like the Where Is It or WinCatalog for Windows), but I can’t find one anywhere. Does it exist at all?

6. Nice Monkey

Tried Emby once. Did a very reasonable job for both Video and Music.

7. Nice Monkey

There is a lot of attention for DSD512 (Internal input only) and even DSD1024 (not) being supported. For me that is absolutely irrelevant as these exotic formats in fact never are released directly by studios as they don't make sense. Upscaled versions don't improve quality they just eat more resources. A real SACD would be limited to a few tracks even in 2CH not being hybrid.
    I own exactly one DSD512 album which in fact is a intentional studio master upscaled DSD256 native recording. It is a demo disc which I use for testing. There may be a very few more around as these are extremely rare. Even DSD256 is an exception already and DSD128 only a handful.
    They ask themselves why the Zidoo does not do DSD1024 as the Es9038Pro can process it. The answer is very simple the datapath for DSD flows via the XMOS processor which is limited to DSD512.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
    muha likes this.
  8. muha

muha Active Member

How is HiFi line of Zidoo devices behaving with multichanell audio? Is it gapless? No big deal for me, just wondering.

9. Nice Monkey

25. MCH Music albums play with gaps between tracks.
    Signalled this problem with DTS-CD but occurs with all MCH output via HDMI. Using an Internal DAC downmixing to Stereo gapless works. Very peculiar even a single track album with a CUE sheet included will result in gaps between tracks indicated just by the CUE sheet.
    This problem was confirmed by Zidoo.

muha likes this.
  10. muha

muha Active Member

Thank for the reply, sorry, I missed that post.

11. Snoopy8

Snoopy8 New Member

Good review of the Neo X, Nice Monkey.

You mentioned that you prefer the audio via HDMI of the Neo X to the UHD3000. How does your Oppo 203 compare to these units for the same multi channel music track?

12. Nice Monkey

The differences are small and obviously subjective like hell but my order: UHD3000 / Z9X +> OPPO ++> Neo X. The last difference is very audible. All Zidoo models except the Neo X sound the same to me via HDMI. My Dune HD Real Vision to my surprise sounds very similar to the OPPO.

All related it seems to the quality of the crystal oscillator being used for the clocking. Applies to all sound forwarded via HDMI for Movies and Music in 2CH or MCH. With movies it remains mostly inaudible. Obviously it also depends on the DAC included in the AMP too.
    I am considering upgrading my AMP to the new Onkyo TX-RZ50. I do specifically like the sound of the RZ-series of Onkyo which offer great value for money.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
    Snoopy8 likes this.
  13. Reelyator

Reelyator Active Member

Thank You Nice Monkey!

Very Informative!!

Is it correct that the NeoX has only one HD Bay?

14. mirak

mirak Member

Yes. :)

15. Nice Monkey

Yes and on the right side and no External SATA. It is very silent though.

16. Snoopy8

Snoopy8 New Member

Thank you. I found that my Panasonic UB-9000 is noticeably better in the audio via HDMI than the UHD3000. Cannot justify buying the Neo X.

Have you tried adding a good linear power supply to the Dune?

Agree, the internal clock is important. But I think a good linear power supply has even more influence. Also agree that your can hear the difference in sound quality in music, but not movies.

Suggest you upgrade to the RZ50. Dirac Live will provide a significant improvement. I am using Dirac Live with my Arcam AVR550.

17. Nice Monkey

I tried a shared linear PSU with all my boxes (really big external dual 12V 5A) but it did not bring me anything clearly audible. Always use oversized PSU's so back to my standard grounded 12V 5A unit doing the same job. It's mainly about oscillator crystals it seems.

Added this to the review. Thanks Snoopy8

Yeah Dirac Live is one of the reasons.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2021
    Snoopy8 likes this.
  18. Nice Monkey

Added reply #4 with a Suggestions/Wish list. Comments corrections and additional suggestions are welcome. Also unique features for specifically HiFI model Music Players can be added here.

I do expect at least some nice suggestions for the OLED front display here. :D:rolleyes:
    Also Zidoo staff is explicitly invited to comment/react on those suggestions. ;)

Also had a peep at Dune Max/Ultra models but despite having nice OLED panels too these are functionally very limited as-is. Wait and see for Zappiti (will add when more detailed info is available).

Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
  19. myzidoo

myzidoo Active Member Beta test group

I am eagerly awaiting the roon readiness of Neo-X and this held me back buying it so far. Anyway waiting on one end and seeing the player becoming scarce I pulled the trigger, bought one and recently received it. I can only confirm what @Nice Monkey stated. The difference to the UHD 3000 is astonishing. The Neo-X is the first player which will make my oppo 205 go. (actually i only keep it for MCH DSD). It's also souding extremely close to the Exasound E38 in stereo mode.

So I installed the Neo-X and played a bit around ... being still sad that there is no roon readiness so far....AND THEN

It struck me. It's XMOS based so why not put a raspberry running ropieee per USB IN to the Neo-X ....that might work....and....IT WORKS FLAWLESSLY.:p:p

So less stressed to see the roon readiness come up !!

20. Nice Monkey

Yes the Neo X sound is indeed very good. The best I got working in my home thus far for sure. The more I listen to it the more I like it.
    I keep my OPPO 203 for a few more reasons: Perfect BD Menu when needed, MCH SACD and DVD-Audio playback.

Could you explain a bit more in detail what you did exactly. Not a Roon user myself but always willing to learn.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2021