Power Supply Question

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Nicholas Hewitt, Sep 5, 2021.

1. Nicholas Hewitt

Nicholas Hewitt Active Member

Just wondering if it would be better to get a better power supply for my Z9X? I will be attaching another 1 or 2 drives to it. So far I have a great Powered USB Hub with 6 powered desktop external drives hooked up to it. Like I said the USB hub has its own power supply and the desktop external drives have there own power supply. Anyways just to be safe would it be a good idea to get another power supply? 12v 4A 2.1mm? If so how about this one?

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B074HRM5D4/ref=cm_sw_r_u_apa_glt_i_ZNYPZYC0TJWFQJ40FHYP

2. Whitfield

Whitfield Active Member

I think any other PS is better than the one supplied with the Z9X. I tossed it right out of the box.
    Of course there are pricey top-of-the-range devices. But for this kinda stuff, price/quality-ratio-wise, you can't go wrong with a Mean Well. 4 ampere should indeed suffice for your needs. Can you tell what you mean with "2mm"?

3. Nicholas Hewitt

2.1 mm I believe is the connector size that connects to the Zidoo.

4. Nicholas Hewitt

maybe it's 2.5mm

5. Whitfield

Whitfield Active Member

Ah, I didn't yet think of connectors and all. Some general advice.

First off, the Z9X has a plug that's widely used. 5.5mm outer and, like you stated, 2.1mm inner. Often these are already provided/fitted with a new PS. If not, you can buy them almost everywhere. If you go buy one, look out for the proper shaft-length. There are several. And be ware of DC polarity when connecting. Z9X needs positive (+) on the inner and negative (-) on the outer side. Avoid using these multi-kits where they provide several connectors and you can plug your desired connector into a generic female connector which is fixed on the wire. These are crap. Preferably go for soldering or crimping.
    I wouldn't harvest & use the wire from the original PS, btw. I wouldn't know it's gauge and strandamount (maybe you can tell by reading on the wire), but from what I remember I'd hate to draw 4 amperes through that kind of cord. Can't escape from thinking of a lightbulb :)
    Last but not least. When not already installed on the PS output wire, it's good practice to run the last piece of it through a choke bead to suppress HF noise. These also can be bought evrywhere and they're dirt cheap.