"Pop-ups" or improved "Info" showing Video and Audio detailed formats?

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Nice Monkey, Mar 13, 2021.

1. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

The latest firmware added again another "Pop-up" in this case when HDR10/DV/HDR10+ is detected.
    We already had a similar pop-up for AUTO frame-rate and AUTO resolution changes.

Most TV's do so also already and it is a question of if this is the best solution?

This is mostly done for customers which want to be sure that they actually get what they want/desire. The point is that once known it is totally superfluous. My alternative is improving the "Info" feature when pressing the assigned button. The Info should be at a detailed level giving all variants that do apply to both Video and Audio formats active at the moment when pressed. So Video needs to give the correct HDR mode too and Audio should say if the sample format is 16, 20, 24 or 32 bits not just the sample-rate for PCM/DTS/DD/etc.

To provide for both Video and Audio details at the same time or with a second press for Audio is debatable for me. My AMP follows the second method: When pressing "Info" again while the Video details are displayed will next show the Audio details too.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
    myzidoo, Mabon and boxerfan like this.
  2. boxerfan

boxerfan Active Member

Love this idea.

3. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Me too but I confess I haven't seen it yet - exactly at what point does it pop-up and what triggers it?

4. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Indeed.

Mabon likes this.
  5. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Ahh I saw that yesterday for the first time - Dolby Vision - seemed odd that, given my Samsung display is non-DV enabled - god bless my Vertex 2 :)

6. JS_racer

JS_racer Member

my sony does not pop up resolution changes or hdr formats automatically , I can easily recall that information though.
    this is a nice little addition, I think.
    I have my video pause a few seconds at start, so everything syncs on start up.

7. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

It's really handy because it tells you whether the output is native DV or VS10 DV.

8. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Sure I just saw DV - what happens with LLDV ?

9. Markswift2003

The same - both Standard DV and LLDV show the Dolby Vision logo when the content is native and the VS10 logo when it's processed using VS10.

10. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Right, thanks. So I must assume that my method of playing is not via the VS10 engine

11. Markswift2003

Yes it is - you'll see this when the file is played natively as DV:

upload_2021-3-14_15-31-55.png

And this when the file is converted to DV by VS10:

upload_2021-3-14_15-33-8.png

12. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

I am sure I didn't see either of those - It was "DV" in dark blue in a white box, with some other writing in blue underneath