Picture Quality from Z10 vs X8

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1296)' started by Plantunes, Apr 29, 2020.

1. Plantunes

Plantunes New Member

Hi guys.
    I'm a very happy owner of a X8.
    99% of it's use is to see mkv from a external hard-drive (4k h265 movies with Atmos is mandatory for me and thankfully X8 delivers them all without any issues).
    I own a LG 65B8 Oled tv and obviously picture quality is a main point for something I may consider to buy.
    I would only change my zidoo if there ir an upgrade on PQ as all the rest my X8 delivers what I need.
    Knowing that...is there any significant PQ upgrade on Z models versus the X8/9/10 series?

2. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Yes there is for UHD pictures with HDR10 (now with MaxFALL, MaxCLL)) and slightly less micro jitter for P23 framerates (more precise frame-rate).

For some movies with HDR10 the difference is really big.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
  3. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

@Nice Monkey can you take couple of screenshots of HDR content with X9S and Z9S to show the difference?
    I have X9S and thinking of upgrading but not sure if it is worth the trouble. I like X9S and don’t have issues with it.

If internal screenshot doesn’t show the difference try photo camera. You probably need tripod and set camera for full manual mode including aperture, shutter speed, ISO and white balance. You could pause the movie at exact time between both players and take screenshots internal and using photo camera.

Start new thread :)

4. Nice Monkey

It is very simple if the wrong parameters are used with HDR the contrast may be off-set showing the picture very dark. Happens with some HDR pictures only.
    If you never have seen it don't worry then as you will see it immediately.

5. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

I do see over saturated contrast on occasion with dark areas but it's hard to tell if this is HDR parameters, movie mastering issue or my TV as one of the first implementations of HDR to the market 2016 model. Pictures from the same TV and 2 different Zidoo players would tell the story :)

6. Nice Monkey

I changed using the same OLED TV from X9S to Z9S myself and re-watched some problematic HDR movies. This after the FW included MaxFALL, MaxCLL processing which took quite a while.

I think Realtek played a bit a dirty game here as RTD1295 was "HDR ready" only not "full HDR" to recall a 1080P story using these confusing labels at that introduction. MaxFALL, MaxCLL processing was brought as a feature on RTD1296 while in fact was removing a shortcoming on RTD1295. The same with P23 frame-rate accuracy.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
  7. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

23.976 fps on RTD1295 was oversight on Realtek part. Whoever programmed the chip developing the player at Realtek engineering team didn't notice the issue. I'm not sure about initial releases of the software player but when I got into the game it was there on all file formats except for 3D MVC frame packing. It took at long time for them to acknowledge and see the issue. As you remember most of the people didn't see it at all. If you play part of the movie, skip fast forward and play another part you would never see it. It only happened if you watch continuously interesting movie with the lights out and paying attention. New chip 1296 had correct timing but at the end it was a programming glitch that creep up into 1295.

If you still have both players, can you take an internal screen shot of the problematic scene? It would be nice to see how much of an issue it really is? Those too dark over contrasted scenes don't appear on DV from Netfix. I only see it from X9S but can't really tell if I don't have anything to compare it to. It's like the gamma correction is out of range and I have no way to adjusted in the TV. Those problematic scenes look better on regular HD Blu-Ray format.

8. Nice Monkey

That's how I watch movies typically :) It was a clock divider problem (HW design) that is why it could not be solved (just look at identical complaints with RTD1295 based dune players).

No I don't have my X9S anymore. Try "Passengers" on UHD HDR and you will see it for sure. No problem with Z9S.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
  9. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

The 23.976 fps issue on X9S and all players with RTD1295 was actually fixed in software with firmware v2.1.22 back in January of 2019.

I tracked those issues here.

I can see oversaturated contrast without any problems but don't know how much of a difference 1296 makes without comparing it side by side.
    I was going to wait for the next generation of chips before making the move.

"Passengers" is my 3D showpiece :) Perfect balance and infinite blacks there.
    I don't know if I watched it in UHD.

10. Nice Monkey

@Plantunes
    Swapping if for the new Z9X would be a far smarter move. :)
    I expect that one to come together with Zidoo X.

11. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

That’s the plan unless it’s a step back like lack of 3D or something else.