Orbsmart R81 - is it a rebranded Zidoo Z9X?

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Mai, Oct 31, 2022.

1. Mai

Mai New Member

Hi all,
    I live in Europe and I can't seem to find a shop selling Zidoo Z9X. However I found a company selling Orbsmart R81 which looks to me exactly the same as Zidoo Z9X. My question is, is it just a rebranded Zidoo Z9X with exactly the same hardware? What about software? Can I install Zidoo's official firmware on this device? Many thank in advance!

2. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

There are multiple Zidoo official sellers within Europe (e.g. Futeko). So I feel only price would be a reason to buy a clone.

If you can load such a clone with official Zidoo FW in an easy way is questionable for me. Zidoo players check which FW is running when updating not allowing cross flashing for standard updates.
    Personally I would keep my fingers away and spend those few extra bucks for a guinea machine. ;)

3. Mai

Mai New Member

Thanks for the reply! I saw it was discussed in some German forum and sounds like it's official clone by Zidoo (so they should licenses with hw design and sw). Just check amazon.de Z9X costs 250EUR and R81 costs 200EUR so there is 20% price difference.

4. Nice Monkey

Yep, there it is. You really prefer a clone for a mere € 50,- discount? :rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 31, 2022
  5. Armin Moesslacher

Armin Moesslacher Active Member

price rules a lot of customers ;-)

6. OlivierQC

OlivierQC Well-Known Member

It is very interesting (-20%) for a rebadged Z9X.

I see that it offers the FW V6.4.42_G.

[​IMG]

If you decide to buy it, don't hesitate to come on this forum for help or advice, you will be welcome.

See you soon

7. Nice Monkey

You run a real risk that FW supports ends at a random day. You also run a risk of inferior builds/components being used.
    You can't just see the difference between a rebadged unit and a full clone. Mostly they are the later. Rebadging hardly brings advantages but a full clone has no HW/FW development costs resulting in nice margins at far lower sales prices but obviously via intellectual property theft.

For me not worth considering but if you are on a real tight budget I do obviously understand one doing so.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2022
  8. maxhim

maxhim Active Member

The menu is the same. The hardware is the same. FW is the same. It is completely like the Z9X, in terms of knowledge. In everything.