Optical drive on sata port...

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X9S' started by Blue-beast, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Blue-beast

Blue-beast New Member

Hello

I own a X9S and when I connect a DVD optical drive to sata port, I don't find the unit anywhere (I also tried with BD optical drive and nothing), it powers up, but I can't use the disc inside the drive.

If I connect a HDD on sata port, then I can see it in media center.

Can somedy help, me what am I doing wrong, or the optical drives just don't work through sata connection.

Thanks.

2. Wang

Wang Member

Have you updated to the latest firmware?

3. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Using 2.1.12 FW it worked just fine for me. Also shared my experiences there.

http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?thr...a-version-for-zidoo-x9s-released.12094/page-4

Using USB drives the actual playback may result in a black screen (reported by others).

Findings:
    - Was immediately found at boot as a new CD-ROM device. Media Center has a special menu for that when selected.
    - The status of the drive is also correctly shown: Nodisk, open, mounting, CD/DVD/BD with the Volume label of the inserted.
    - Using the menu button there is an Eject option which correctly opens the drive when selected. One needs to go back to the root of the disc first before this option shows up.
    - First popped in a few of my "DTS Blu-RAY Music Demo Discs". These where recognized and also the BD-menu worked, but playback showed lots of freezes. Probably due to buffering problems. I know these discs ask a lot of the player as these run at very high bit-rates at 60 Hz Video frame-rate with 96 KHz Master HD for the Audio. Maybe this can be improved? I am available for further tests.
    - Next tried a few normal Video BD's which did not give these problems. Once running there is no difference between optical, HDD or network based playback except for loading times of BD-Menus which can take a lot of time.
    - It played also Audio-DVD next to standard Video-DVD. Obviously Audio CD's are not recognized (would require digital extraction).
    - Data files on either CD, DVD or BD are found and all media formats supported by the player will also play from optical discs.

Overall verdict "very nice" as CD-ROM really seems to work as a first impression and with a good user interface too. :cool:

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  4. Blue-beast

Blue-beast New Member

Hello.

I have a version 2.0.25.
    I see that in latest version (v.2.1.14 beta) the optical drives are supported.
    I will try it.

Thanks...

5. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Please share your results too.