No Google Talk Back and KODI Screenreader Accessibility for the x6 Pro... Why?

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X6 Pro' started by Tod Rose, May 12, 2016.

1. Tod Rose

Tod Rose New Member

Hello,
    I'm legally blind and thanks to the KODI Screenreader (Thanks Ruuk) was able to use KODI Jarvis v16 with no problems on my Windows 10 PC.
    So I decided to purchase Zidoo X6 Pro Octa Core Android 5.1 TV Box 2G/16G Dual Band WiFi Bluetooth 3D RK3368 OTA HDMI 2.0 4K*2K H.265 UHD 1000Mbps Streaming Media Player ZDMC thinking since it did have Android 5.11 as the OS that Google Talk Back and the same KODI screenreader would work on it.
    Well I was shocked to visit the "Settings" panel of my x6 Pro and not see any sign of the "Accessibility" option in the App? Also when I did get sighted help to activate KODI ScreenReader (I uninstalled ZMC and installed the latest build of KODI Jarvis from kodi.tv for Android) it was not verbosing anything in KODI on my X6 Pro Yes, KODI stated KODI screenreader was activated, but x6 Pro wasn't allowing it to speak anything.
    I don't understand. How can this be an Android set-top box, but all of the accessibility features found in the latest builds of Android from v2 and up aren't present in it?
    Please, can someone instruct me on how to access the Accessibility panel for my X6 Pro? Also how to get KODI screenreader to work on it?
    Thanks for any help.

2. freeroc

freeroc Active Member

I'm sorry to hear that. Rockchip simplified some function from original android .
    We can give a feedback to the company of chipset. If you know other android box which have these functions , please tell us.

3. Tod Rose

Tod Rose New Member

Sorry, but I would have to buy every Android set-top box on the market today and test them to see if I can enable the built in Accessibility found in all versions of the Android OS.
    Guess admitting your Android set-top box is Accessible to the visually impaired isn't something that most designers wish to advertise on the product description page.
    Maybe there isn't any currently on the market that permits this, but does that make it right? Wouldn't doing such a thing make you on the cutting edge? I mean there are plenty of visually impaired people who enjoy TV (I can enjoy TV shows/movies simply from listening to them.) Really don't think it is fair for developers to blindly disable such features because they happen to have good eye-sight.
    I'm hoping you will release a build that would once again put the Accessibility App back in settings where it belongs. Google has already done all of the work developing Talk Back. You simply need to turn the Accessibility panel back on so people like myself can use it.
    Also if someone was nice enough to develope the KODI screenreader to permit people like myself to use KODI, it would be nice if you allow it to be enabled on the Z6 Pro.

4. freeroc

freeroc Active Member

Please believe us we want to resolve all the issues from every user. Absolutely includes your problem.
    We are start working with this issue. If the Accessibility just been commented , it will be quickly resolved.
    But tell the truth, this is not the most priority for us . There are many issues should be resolved,
    we have to prioritized them by considering the universality of demand. Please understand.
    And I am very appreciated that your complain. It means you are expecting Zidoo will be better.

5. warren_wh

warren_wh Active Member Staff Member Zidoo TECH Supporter

Please install Settings.apk, has enable the Accessibility.

Attached Files:

PacoRabanne, Tod Rose and cyber7 like this.
  6. Tod Rose

Tod Rose New Member

Thanks so much for making available this settings.apk file to re-enable the Accessibility App in Z6 Pro.
    And I do understand you guys have to prioritize features based on end-user demand. Just a shamed that people who have disabilities are always placed at the bottom of the list when it comes to technology. Guess I now understand why Steve Jobs was such a great man/inventor.
    He realized that all people deserved a chance to benefit from new evolving technology from day one, no matter what their physical limitations may be. That's why in my honest opinion Apple will always be the #1 tech company in the world today when it comes to developing cutting edge gadgets geared on making our lives easier.
    Thanks again for the settings.apk file. Hope other developers of these Android set-top boxes will follow suit and permit something that Google has already made readily available in the Android OS, accessible to those of us who truly needs it.

PacoRabanne likes this.
  7. PacoRabanne

PacoRabanne Well-Known Member Beta test group

Thanks so much for the "modded" version!!!
    Now I can finally enable Tasker ad an "helper" app, and also increase font size (too small for my TV)
    To respect all people with any kind of phisical impairing, I think you must put this version in ANY FW you release, at least from now. Is a pity you have missed this in you last 1.0.38 FW...

Will be nice if you can also enable all other "disabled by Rockchip" Settings menu and submenu (except those clearly not applicable to your devices).

Thanks anyway!