No DTS-HD sound from Zidoo z1000 pro

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by adrian.mole, Apr 30, 2022.

1. adrian.mole

adrian.mole New Member

Hello,

I do not have any sound when playing some media files via HDMI on my TV. Please can anyone help, perhaps I need to turn a setting on to convert the audio?

Examples;

Not working;

Disc Title: DJANGO - 4K UHD (3rd audio track in DD works)

Video: MPEG-H HEVC Video / 94948 kbps / 2160p / 23.976 fps / 16:9 / Main 10 @ Level 5.1 @ High / 10 bits / HDR10 / BT.2020

Audio: English / DTS-HD Master Audio / 1.0 / 48 kHz / 1062 kbps / 24-bit (DTS Core: 1.0 / 48 kHz / 768 kbps / 24-bit)

Audio: Italian / DTS-HD Master Audio / 1.0 / 48 kHz / 1070 kbps / 24-bit (DTS Core: 1.0 / 48 kHz / 768 kbps / 24-bit)

Audio: English / Dolby Digital Audio / 2.0 / 48 kHz / 192 kbps / DN -31dB

Disc Title: Joker 2019 - 4k UHD

Container : MP4

Video 1:
    Format : HEVC with Dolby Vision

Audio:
    Format : DTS-HD Master Audio
    Bit rate : 4 065 kb/s
    Channel(s) : 8 channels
    Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
    Bit depth : 24 bits
    Language: : English

Working

Disc Title: The dark knight rises - 4k UHD
    Container: MKV

Video: MPEG-H HEVC Video / 55805 kbps / 2160p / 23.976 fps / 16:9 / Main 10 Profile 5.1 High / 4:2:0 / 10 bits / HDR / BT.2020 /

Audio: English / DTS-HD Master Audio / 5.1 / 48 kHz / 4037 kbps / 24-bit (DTS Core: 5.1 / 48 kHz / 1509 kbps / 24-bit)

2. Phil181

Phil181 Active Member

Most TV's won't be capable of processing DTS (core). I am unaware of any brands of TV that can process lossless DTS-HD MA audio.
    You may as well use the Dolby Digital stereo track since it does work for you. This is your main option if you have no AVR or even a soundbar, that can process DTS or any mutichannel audio.

Audio output settings can be changed in the Zidoo. It will be worth your while reading through the Recommended Settings thread on this forum.

3. adrian.mole

adrian.mole New Member

Thanks Phil :)

4. CAPnCap

CAPnCap New Member

I am having the same problem with my Z1000 - "Audio is not supported". This is true for different types of audio streams, like DTS-HD, and results is the majority of my Blu-Ray titles not producing audio (I only RIP the highest quality audio tracks from the disc). However, it's not the TV that's the problem: I have the Oppo 203 which plays those same ripped MKV files with audio - through the same HDMI cable and port on my LG C1 OLED. I just swapped out the Oppo with the Zidoo to ensure the problem is with the Zidoo and nothing else. I love the UI on the Zidoo, and while the Oppo plays the movies perfectly well (perhaps even better), the UI is just not workable for the wife or, indeed, what today's streaming servers should look like (it's just a basic file browser). So I'm highly motivated to get this Zidoo to work with my high-end home theater setup, and I can't sacrifice any audio quality by ripping a lower quality audio track.

5. Phil181

Phil181 Active Member

What AVR are you using from the Zidoo? Do you have multi-channel surround speakers?

I would assume it is your TV not supporting the audio, as the Zidoo will pass lossless bitstream to an AVR. The Z1000Pro only has a single HDMI output so the chain of AVR and TV must be 4K DV compatible. I use an older AVRKey to split the HDMI from the Z1000Pro into video (to the TV) and audio (to the non-compatible AVR).

6. Netmask

Netmask Well-Known Member

From the specification sheet for your TV it appears it doesn't support DTS - see attached file sheet

LG C1.jpg

So if the Oppo appears to play these tracks check in the audio settings that it doesn't mix down to a different format maybe Dolby Digital Plus E-AC3

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/lg_c1_oled_2021.php

7. CAPnCap

CAPnCap New Member

Thank you for the quick reply. Much appreciated.
    I tried connecting the Zidoo (in RAW mode) via HDMI to my LG C1 TV but also directly to my Marantz AV7706 Processor and neither worked. Since both ways works fine for the Oppo, I also checked the Oppo settings and I didn't see anything that showed it would do any down mixing, nor would I expect it to given the TV is really just passing the bitstream through to the Marantz via e-ARC. I admit I don't really understand the data path between the Zidoo, through the TV, then to the Marantz Processor via e-ARC, but I would assume the audio track's raw bit stream from the MKV file simply flows unhampered by the Zidoo (RAW mode) and TV to be processed finally by the Marantz.
    I really want to get away from using the separate audio-only HDMI port to the Marantz as that would entail several more steps just to get all the components setup properly, and with my one-remote world, that gets tricky. And I wouldn't think the Audio-only HDMI port would handle it any better than the A/V port, but again... my assumption.

8. CAPnCap

CAPnCap New Member

I haven't yet found any of my current settings on the Oppo that would down mix the audio stream by the Oppo to the Marantz AV7706 Processor. This new gen processor can handle anything I can toss at it. I'll take another look at the Oppo's settings just in case I missed something.
    You did give me an idea that I just tried... I sent the Zidoo HDMI A/V output to the Oppo HDMI input (never done that before) to see if your idea of the Oppo doing the audio processing is the golden ticket. It still doesn't do LPCM but it did fix the DTS-HD, which I'm pretty sure wasn't working the "normal" route. So the first 3 Pirates of the Caribbean movies, for example, don't have audio (unless I rip the lesser audio formats, which I just can't bring myself to do with my 5.2.4 Atmos home theater setup such that it is, especially with that amazing Monoprice 11 channel behemoth driving the subs). That leaves all my 4k movies working fine and about 75% of my HD Blu-Ray movies not working. Thanks so much for your help. I've sent in a support request with Zidoo as well.

9. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

1. What says "Audio is not Supported"?

2. "This is true for different types of audio streams, like DTS-HD" - can you be more specific.

3. Can you post your EDID:

To Download EDID
    ================

Settings/Display/Custom EDID/Save EDID

Save to a USB stick or network location.

Change the file extension from .bin to .txt to post on forum

10. Phil181

Phil181 Active Member

Ok, is there a reason you don't use HDMI from the Zidoo into your Marantz (and then HDMI out from the Marantz to the TV)? Going via a TV first, and then expect it to process lossless audio does not sound correct.
    Your pre-amp seems more than capable with 8K HDMI passthrough?

11. CAPnCap

CAPnCap New Member

Summary of what I have found thus far after looking at about 50% of the 100 discs I've ripped thus far (it's consistent behavior, at least):

(Setup #1) Zidoo --> TV --> Processor (eARC): no [DTS 2.0, DTS-HD, DTS:X, LPCM, H.264 Dolby Digital], yes [Atmos, Dolby TrueHD, VC-1]
    (Setup #2) Zidoo --> Processor --> TV: same, so no benefit
    (Setup #3) Zidoo --> Oppo --> TV--> Processor: same but fixes all the DTS formats

In the end, I want to use the top setup #1 (Zidoo to TV) because 95% of our consumption is streaming services hosted on the TV like NetFlix (I had the nVidia Shield, but the new LG C1 TV did what we watch easier) and it allows me to control everything from the TV remote. If I use setup #2 and connect all my toys to the Processor first then I need to switch back to my Logitec Harmony remote to automate switching inputs on the Marantz processor and the TV, and there were issues with that remote and the LG C1 TV's that I didn't like. But it's a moot point because that config didn't solve any of the problems and my setup #1 has been flawless for a year.
    Setup #3 is interesting in the sense of testing, but it's not a workable solution. It adds more sync delays with both the audio and video, and it still doesn't solve LPCM or the older H.264 Dolby Digital. Besides it's just hokey.
    My Oppo handles 100% of those audio formats. If the Oppo had the GUI like the Zidoo, it would be an even more amazing machine, but I love what the Zidoo brings to the table with the poster wall to make my collection of physical media clear to browse. It was that feature (primarily, but not only) that caused me to spend so much on 32 Tb more of HDD space and a NAS extender rack for my Synology NAS, plus about 100 more movies, so clearly I'm impressed! I really hope we can solve this.

I attached the EDID as requested. Thanks again for your help.

Attached Files:

• edid.txt
      File size:
      256 bytes
      Views:
  12. CAPnCap

CAPnCap New Member

Good question, and one I struggled with once I got my new TV and again when I got the new Marantz processor. I always had the processor (or AV receiver) as the hub of my setup, but now that the new TV's with eARC are so much better and streaming is the vast majority of what we consume (and a few other things), I found the TV being the hub not only simplified the whole ordeal (just use the LG TV remote for everything because there's no input switching on the Marantz), the audio is not taking any hit since it's all just bitstream pass-through the TV. It does no audio processing - just passes RAW from Netflix audio track to the processor via eARC, or from Blu-ray to TV via bitstream, and back again to the processor as-is (bitstream). Unless I'm missing something, which is certainly possible. But my audio sounds stunning - especially since I upgrades to separates for the processor and amp. The channel separation for Atmos (and everything else, of course), is night and day, and I had the very solid Marantz SR7011 before my new AV7706 processor and Monoprice 11 channel amp (125 lbs of joy!).

13. Markswift2003

Ok, quite easy to see the problem. All to do with EDID and E-ARC.

The way you have it connected, only the TV EDID is being passed back to the Zidoo and that only supports PCM, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby Atmos, so obviously that's all the Zidoo can output.

Audio Data Block #1
    L-PCM, channels=8, rate=192,176,96,88,48,44.1,32kHz, bits=24,20,16
    Enhanced AC-3, channels=8, rate=48,44.1kHz, AFCdv=3
    AC-3, channels=6, rate=48,44.1,32kHz, MBR=640
    MAT, channels=8, rate=192,176,96,88,48,44.1kHz, AFCdv=3

Are you sure the Zidoo is plugged into the Port 2? the EDID says it's plugged into Port 1 which is of course not E-ARC.

14. CAPnCap

CAPnCap New Member

While I believe I understand your point, I got exactly the same results when I connected the Zidoo to my processor, and the HDMI handshake to my Marantz would have allowed all audio codecs.
    You asked about port 1 or 2, but I don’t know on what device you mean? The LG TV? I wouldn’t plug the Zidoo into the eARC port on the TV; that port is for the Marantz processor.

15. Markswift2003

Sorry - yes, that's what I meant... Getting mixed up between source and display... But as I say the problem here is the Marantz EDID isn't getting to the Zidoo - Do you have CEC turned off by any chance?

16. CAPnCap

CAPnCap New Member

Good question. All CEC options are enabled on the Zidoo, and the Marantz as well. I played around with different settings on the Zidoo to try and solve this, including the CEC options. I thought that was a good reason as well. Unfortunately it’s not the problem.
    If the TV was interrupting the device capabilities handshake between the Zidoo and the Marantz, it would be the same problem with my Oppo, but it works great. I even exchanged the same HDMI cable and port on the TV that the Oppo uses, just in case it was a port limitation on the TV or a faulty HDMI cable, but that didn’t work either.
    Could there be a hardware failure going on here with the HDMI controller on the Zidoo? I’m not seeing others with this problem online and we’ve tried quite a lot of different scenarios and it seems it’s something on the Zidoo. If it’s not in the settings and the firmware is current, I’m running out of ideas.

17. Thanh Nguyen

Thanh Nguyen Member

Only way to get DTS on a C1 or any recent LG TV as a matter of fact is going into a Audio Processor first. It would be the same for the Oppo if you have audio set to bitstreaming.
    I use Setup of Zidoo > Soundbar > C1
    Oppo> Soundbar > C1
    Audio to bitsteam on both Zidoo and Oppo. If you do Device > TV>AVR. The Device needs to convert DTS into PCM or another format that the TV supports. Which is the case for me when I do PC>C1>Soundbar

Last edited: Nov 14, 2022
    Phil181 likes this.
  18. CAPnCap

CAPnCap New Member

The TV doesn’t do any audio processing at all. It’s just a data pipe from my Oppo or PC or Zidoo through the TV’s eARC to the Marantz processor. I get all the different audio codecs working just fine from my Oppo and PC: the Marantz tells me this on the display. It’s just the Zidoo that’s not working.

19. Thanh Nguyen

Thanh Nguyen Member

Yes, but it still needs to support DTS to be able to passthrough the audio. So to get DTS to work on TV without the DTS support it has to go through AVR first. And are you sure you are doing a bitstream PC > TV > AVR and still passingthrough it as Atmos/DTS-HDMA/DTS:X and not just converting to PCM. Because I own that TV and DTS passthrough even lossy DTS is no possible on that TV. If you are doing Oppo and PC through TV first then to AVR and getting audio. I'm 99.9% confident that your media player is converting your audio to PCM and not actually passthrough. Like I stated LG C1 does not support DTS codec at all, and therefore will not pass it through. The "Audio Not Supported" pop up is from the TV.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2022
    Netmask likes this.
  20. Thanh Nguyen

Thanh Nguyen Member

Audio Not Supported is the popup notice from the TV. He's trying to passthrough DTS-HDMA through LG C1 that doesn't support DTS core. All other scenario of DTS producing any audio at all with the TV as first device in chain is most likely the device mixing it to PCM.

Phil181 and Netmask like this.