No DolbyTrueHD/Atmos Sound With ARC Connection

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by paresh, Feb 6, 2021.

1. paresh

paresh Member

Hi!,
    @Markswift2003, @Nice Monkey, I still am on 6.0.90G FW & have a few queries. Recently I tried to connect Z9x directly to my Samsung TV55UHD9000 (2014 Model) hoping to enhance the PQ, which it did (marginally but noticeable). My Yamaha receiver RX V-683 is connected to the ARC HDMI port in the TV. Now, when I try to play any movie with HD sound it automatically gets converted to pcm 2.1 CH. Z9x is set to Audio RAW & passthrough for the receiver whereas when Z9x's connection goes through the receiver all the HD sound formats play flawlessly. What I would like to know is? Which component is throwing the spanner in the works? Is it the TV, receiver, or Z9x? Also, cannot switch to 60pHz when Z9x is connected via receiver (RX V-683 supports 4K @ 60Hz) only 24Hz works. I still do not get to see the option of HDR10+ in Z9x's display settings, its only HDR Auto , HDR To SDR. Nor does it show while playing the movies when I try to access the info by pressing the info button on the remote. Although one can make out that the content being played is in HDR format but HDR does not show in the info window. Could it be due to my TV? Last but not the least, please guys do not feel offended its merely a suggestion. Wouldn't it be better if you could make one sticky thread for all Firm wares (Old & Latest) & flashing the players method instead of everytime a FW is released a new thread is created. Thanks, just take care & stay safe.

2. Whitfield

Whitfield Active Member

I hope you don't mind.
    ARC does not support high resolution audio formats. You can see it as return of SP/DIF audio.
    10 bit 4K video @ 60Hz is probably working on YCbCr 4:2:2, which you can try.
    Check your manual if the RX-V683 supports HDR10+, I doubt whether it does.

paresh likes this.
  3. ulna68

ulna68 Active Member

• HDMI® (6 in / 1 out) with 4K Ultra HD full support, HDR Video including Dolby Vision and Hybrid Log-Gamma, and BT.2020
    there is nothing here about HDR10 + support

4. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Get a UHD3000 for excellent sound plus video. HDMI Video directly to the TV including HDR10+ and HDMI Audio directly to the AMP for MCH HD Audio.
    Use the DAC for 2CH Audio via analog input on the AMP directly. It is what I do now.

No this setup still does not play MCH DSD Audio via HDMI using the AMP. Maybe it will come? I use my genuine OPPO 203 for that and also for DVD-Audio.
    You can always batch convert MCH DSD to MCH FLAC (using e.g. XRECODE3) and play that obviously. Used to do that before getting myself an used OPPO (the only box doing SACD ISO playback with 2CH/MCH DSD via HDMI).

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
  5. ulna68

ulna68 Active Member

I use sony ubp-x700 for DSD playback including MCHl, cheaper than oppo even used

6. Nice Monkey

With SACD ISO? You mean burned to Disc or original SACD. My Pioneer BDP-LX55 did that for me too. Stopped burning 2 years ago, last for SACD!

Used OPPO's are more expensive that these were original new.

7. ulna68

ulna68 Active Member

no iso files, only dsf and dff,
    I have a program that can extract these files from iso

8. Nice Monkey

Never too old to learn. It is a cheap alternative for MCH DSD indeed. For DVD-Audio the slightly more expensive Sony UBP-X800 is needed I learned, but still no ISO or folders then just discs.

9. paresh

paresh Member

@Whitfield Ok, then what is the option of getting the High Resolution sound after connecting Z9x directly to the TV?

10. cucnz

cucnz Active Member

prolly going to need either a newer tv with earc or a newer reciver

im in sort of same situation
    i can hdr10+ going zidoo to tv and earc to amp and ill get DA but not DTS-X
    or i can go zidoo to reciever to tv and get DA DTS x but no HLG or HDR10+

atm im skipping the dts-x since im loving my newish panasonic oled....specailly now the zidoos almost got DV DA working 100 perc

thinking ill get a denon x3700h reciver since itll do it all excpet 4k/120 but i dont own consoles so wont miss it .
    i can also gain 2 extra heights or even add a 2 ch amp for full 11 channel surround

problem is , soon as i do some newer thing will come out and its rinse repeat time

paresh likes this.
  11. ulna68

ulna68 Active Member

that's why the fate of a home cinema fan is still a struggle, stereo fans have it easier there for years, nothing has changed, a high-class amplifier, turntable and speakers are still high-class equipment
    and the home cinema receiver is getting old fast, when i have a 5-year-old marantz sr6010 and it's already old;)

12. paresh

paresh Member

Alright, its a marginal sacrifice as far as the PQ is concerned but at least I get to hear all the MCH high resolution sound & don't have to compromise on any digital sound format output from my receiver with my current settings. Therefore it comes down to how deep you can dig into your pockets everytime something new pops up in the market. This is always gonna be an endless wild goose chase and finicky people like me will remain in a loop trying to achieve something intangible. Guess, I'll stick to what I have at present & be happy with it. Thanks everyone for your edifying replies, all of you have been of great help.

13. DaMacFunkin

DaMacFunkin Active Member

...late to the party...
    HD fury.

14. Whitfield

Whitfield Active Member

Yeah, all these new rapidly successive formats aren't friendly to one's wallet, if you wanna keep up.
    As far as HDMI goes, TBH I think it's a poor connector in the first place. Also, where years ago audio- and videohandling & -connectors were separate, now it's all integrated into "one handy" crap interface.

You don't see the HDR10+ option in Z9X's setting, I reckon it's because both your TV and AVR don't support it. If the 4K 10bit 60p video should work as I suggested (try setting Z9X to YUV 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 10 bit) I would leave the Z9X directly connected to the Yammie. To enjoy the Hi-Res audioformats.

I am wondering whether your stated "marginal PQ change" is due to HDMI-cable quality? I assume you haven't enabled your AVR's video-processing? Also, check the HDMI mode setting in initial/advanced setup menu.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
    paresh likes this.
  15. Korelko69

Korelko69 New Member

Dear Nice Monkey! I am using HTPC on Windows, which plays all kinds of file formats with the JRiver Media Center player. Including SACD-ISO, DSD, DSF ... Audio output using WASAPI and ASIO. I have questions: 1) I want to connect this computer with a USB cable to ZIDOO UHD3000 on USD DAC in. The built-in DAC in this player will be able to process and decode the received signal in the native DSD format? Or will it still convert it to PCM and then back to DSD?
    Thank's!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021