NFS vs. SMB Speed Problem

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Martin Musko, Nov 10, 2022.

1. Martin Musko

Martin Musko Member

I have purchased a Z9X in order to overcome the playback issues with x265 files on Z9S, which now work.:) But there is a huge problem with the Z9X playing back "jellyfish-120-mbps-4k-uhd-hevc-10bit" test files via NFS. They worked flawlessly (up to 400mbps) on Z9s via NFS, but stutter on Z9X via NFS.
    They work flawlessly via SMB on Z9X.

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

So use SMB.

3. Martin Musko

Martin Musko Member

I almost had exspected this answer:mad:
    If there is an obvious problem with the software it should be solved. NFS is definetely the more stable and normally faster setup!

4. Markswift2003

Not any more - NFS used to be the protocol of choice nearly two decades ago because of it's simplicity - it had a smaller network payload, so lower overhead. So for high rate DVDs we all used NFS.

These days, with improvements in SMB and hardware (switches and networks are a LOT quicker and more efficient now), it's no longer the case. The 1619 has always had problems with NFS but works perfectly well with SMB, in the way that every other network device does, so there's no reason to use it and every reason not to.

When I got my first Z9X when we started beta testing before release I tried NFS, it was problematic, so I just shrugged my shoulders and switched to SMB and I can tell you I have absolutely zero network issues ever.

TV11 and xskip like this.
  5. Martin Musko

Martin Musko Member

Your proposal is a workaround not a solution. There is obviously a bug in the software and that is all I wanted to report. Hopefully Zidoo will fix it, if they are able to...

6. Markswift2003

Just tried NFS for the first time since 2020 and I can play up to the 400Mbps Jellyfish demo with no problem.

Still sticking with SMB though.

7. Markswift2003

Tried a real world file too - Gemini Man, 4K59 with real-time bitrates up to 150Mbps and no issues there either.

So not seeing anything that needs addressing.

8. Martin Musko

Martin Musko Member

That is strange! I am on the latest Beta-Software and have only installed ZMDC and Firefox APKs. And as I have no problem with my network neither with the Z9S or Kodi on Raspery or any PC playback I wonder what's the difference between our Z9Xs???
    Addition:
    I have factory resetted the Z9X without intalling anything and tried again: still the same result

Last edited: Nov 10, 2022
  9. Markswift2003

No idea - you're not using a QNAP by any chance??

10. Martin Musko

Martin Musko Member

11. Markswift2003

That was a shot in the dark :)

I tend to keep out of network issues as it can be quite emotive - but it seems that every time I read a post where someone has stutters on SMB this and issues with NFS that, it's always with a QNAP.

Honestly, use SMB - it's a better protocol for large files and just works.

Some people will tell you NFS is faster, some will tell you it's slower, some will say it's good for large files, some will tell you it's not. Blah blah blah...

12. Martin Musko

Martin Musko Member

Thank you for trying to help clarifying the situation! But it seems the potential NFS QNAP connection speed issue is only ocurring with the Z9X. There should be a software solution for it!

13. Phil181

Phil181 Active Member

QNAP's seem to have a bad habit of "doing their own thing" like housekeeping tasks/file re-arranging, in the background. No prompting is required.

You can hear the drives "thrashing about" if you are in the same room, even when not accessing files. This is using RAID 5 on 6-bay units and EXT4.
    It was worse when I had PLEX and/or Video Station/DLNA installed (none of which are needed with a decent media player networked).

My main PC is next to my NAS's so it is obvious when this happens (but not when watching the TV with the Zidoo). My Thecus NAS's don't do this, so it is mainly a QNAP "feature"!

Follow the advice above and stick with SMB :)

14. Martin Musko

Martin Musko Member