New SPMC build 16.2.0

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X6 Pro' started by Rene Veen, Apr 2, 2016.

1. Rene Veen

Rene Veen Member

16.2.0 (2016/04/02):
    • Add voice recognition to soft keyboard (cf. faq )
    • Add Thumbnails cleanup (cf. faq )
    • [Shield] fallback to s/w for 3D (still issues with HTAB/HSBS)
    • (re-)Add reboot & shutdown on rooted devices
    • Add support for AudioFormat::ENCODING_IEC61937 (Android N IEC passthrough)
    • Expand recommendations and voice search to tv shows and music albums
    • Fix IEC passthrough volume issue
    • TrueHD PT buffer tweaks
    • Backport "disable PT when sync to display is enabled"

2. PacoRabanne

PacoRabanne Well-Known Member Beta test group

What about this note on SPMC homepage ( http://spmc.semperpax.com/ )?

Important: No more Rockchip specific support as of this version

3. cobra78

cobra78 Member

It was only because Koying didn't want to waste time to fix or improve firmware of Rockchip devices and try to understand how their system works.
    He wants a universal solution so that all manufacturers make small changes to their firmware to use the features in his SPMC instead of patching SPMC and using hacks in their firmware that then makes SPMC only work on their hardware.
    The benefit of this is, when a new SPMC version is released it will work straight out of the box on Rockchip devices without patching SPMC again and making custom SPMC builds that only work on Rockchip devices. People will be able to install new SPMC versions from the Play Store and it will immediately work without any problems and users won't have to wait for new SPMC builds from Rockchip or Zidoo.

Rockchip and Zidoo will release a new SPMC fork with extra pass-through and auto frame-rate switching shortly then all Rockchip users will also be able to benefit by using SPMC that is much better optimized for Android than official Kodi at the moment. Maybe Zidoo or Rockchip can also improve the auto frame-rate switching in the firmware itself so that doesn't have to be added to a custom SPMC build. Some manufacturers have an auto frame-rate switching setting in their Android settings that if enabled allows all video players to use auto frame-rate switching.
    Then users can use Zidoo's SPMC build until the auto frame-rate switching setting is added and after that start using official SPMC.

Apart from that I tested the new SPMC and everything is working great apart from the 2 things mentioned above so far.
    SPMC uses Mediacodec Surface Rendering for video playback, Rockchip devices already has support for it in their firmware so video playback is fully working with SPMC.
    Rockchip only has to add a small amount of code for CJNIAudioFormat::ENCODING_IEC61937 Android N audio pass-through to their firmware for pass-through to work correctly in SPMC now.
    Since SPMC has had several pass-through changes it should work much better than previous ZDMC's in regards to audio playback after new firmware is released.
    https://github.com/koying/SPMC/commit/433ebb49ddbce7e57828bb7222c8316f405b2981

Rene Veen likes this.
  4. PacoRabanne

PacoRabanne Well-Known Member Beta test group

Thanks a lot! Very thorough!!!
    A lot of information for us users, and hope enough for Zidoo developers to do what is needed to transparently support SPMC.
    In the meanwhile I'll try SPMC. For me pass-through is not yet needed, and I don't know if any of my videos needs auto frame rate switching,
    Maybe it will run perfectly for my modest needs.