New fw for X9S v2.1.36

Discussion in 'X9S Official Firmware Releases' started by leonkoum, Jan 14, 2020.

1. failax

failax Member

The second one.

2. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

Same as @Franconian, zero issues with SMB network drives. I have multiple LAN setups from old WDLive to WDMyCloud with external drive connected to it on USB port and Raspberry Pi with couple of drives on USB ports. Zero issues. Zidoo is also loaded with one drive hanging of the USB port and one on the top with SATA ;)

3. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

Most likely it is coming from your TV or projector motion processing. Frame rate from Zidoo devices is pretty accurate right now.
    Disable all motion processing and turn on any "Cinema" options for true 23.976 fps film cadence. Check again.

I've spent countless hours trying to understand and experiment with motion processing, artifacts and effect on my OLED TV.
    For the record. I do use motion processing on pretty high setting. Can't take that strobing effect of 24 fps on OLED display ;)

4. VonMagnum

VonMagnum Member

It's like no one read what I actually wrote since every piece of info given ignores what I said.

There's nothing "odd". The problem is the Zidoo. It's using ancient SMB1, which I made clear does NOT work with Windows 10 without violating a major security flaw that can allow hackers to take control of your computer. Ignore it at your own peril.

Even so, my Mac can use SMB1 (not flawed the same way Windows is) and that's exactly how KODI Krypton can connect, directly to the IP address. While that may work for you NAS from the Zidoo, it does NOT WORK with my Mac server here from the Zidoo interface. Period. Never has. Probably never will. It says "can't connect to server" every time. I'm not going to go buy some NAS just for a Zidoo. It sees the SMB share on the Mac, but it will not connect to it. I even just tried creating a "sharing only" account so there is a name and password I can enter and it still wouldn't connect. KODI connects just fine via SMB1 to the same Mac and SMB2 and SMB3 (You can force any one of them in Leia).

That's your computer using an NAS! Exactly why do you think your NAS = everyone else's hardware??? I've had no trouble with SMB on my mac working with everything out there except the Zidoo. It runs SMB1-3 and it has always used direct share access using Apple's SMB. It hasn't done it the old Microsoft way since they ditched Samba and wrote their won SMB library. They then licensed SMB2 and SMB3 from Microsoft to use their code, but still maintain their own version. Ironically, SMB3 on Windows 10 now behaves just like SMB3 has on the Mac since like 2012. I'm certainly not going to go buy an NAS just to get the Zidoo to work . Zidoo needs to update to SMB3. SMB1 is a security risk. Even the Shield updated to SMB3 on the server side last year.

I get frame rate changes with the native player (I have to use NFS as SMB doesn't work at all as above), but that's only for the HT 2.0 interface. ZDMC will connect to local files (i.e. my 3D collection stored on two local hard drives) using the external player, but it will NOT connect to my NFS shares on my Mac using ZDMC. It can see the files, but when ZDMC passes them to the external player, nothing happens. They will play via NFS from HT 2.0, though so the problem is ZDMC somehow. Of course, ZDMC can also see my SMB shares just fine, but the same thing happens when it passes it to the external player, it just does nothing.

ZDMC 18.4 does NOT crash here. I don't know what message you read, but it clearly wasn't mine. It works fine and it worked fine installing right over 17.6 contrary to what you said.

KODI 18.5 is the one that crashes here. And I've tried a fresh install before. It does not work no matter how it's installed. It runs and then crashes out with "Unfortunately, Kodi stopped running" or something to that effect. I've even had it run for 20-30 seconds before OK and then it crashes out with the same error. There's something in the Zidoo it doesn't like at all. Given 18.4 ZDMC works and 17.6 KODI works, it must be something specific to KODI 18.x running on its own libraries.

5. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

Why do you insist on running NAS out of PC Windows or Mac? All those big powerful computers with fans and big power supplies.

Zidoo has one of the fastest network interfaces. I can move files in and out of Zidoo external drives at 100 MBps top Gigabit speed. Raspberry Pi is another low power and cost option specially with Pi 4 out. You get Kodi media player with SMB drives all in one just like Zidoo.

6. VonMagnum

VonMagnum Member

My Mac Mini server uses like 3 watts sleeping 12 watts at idle. An NAS would likely use more power. I use USB 3.x drives plugged straight in (three 4GB drives, added progressively over time). I keep a set of backups in a fire safe and another updated less frequently off-site. I see no advantage to using bulky PITA NAS units that historically run like thick molasses compared to a regular drive.

NONE of that has ANYTHING to do with Zidoo using UNSAFE SMB1. I could just as easily ask you why you insist on using something that will eventually get your computer hacked and your identity stolen?

Besides, NFS works from the HT 2.0 interface so it still works here. ZDMC never did work as well.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  7. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

I don't keep my identity on Zidoo or Raspberry Pi. Nothing to worry.

Would Mac or PC wake up from sleep on NAS request? Typically it needs Magic Packet.

8. VonMagnum

VonMagnum Member

The Mac wakes up any time something requests something via SMB.

I found a worse problem now still. Now that I added my entire library via NFS, I discovered that Zidoo's player can't read DTS files inside MP4/M4V containers. That makes it worthless for like 1/2 my library. I kept M4V files to be backwards compatible with older AppleTV units since KODI had no trouble reading DTS from M4V. That let the older Apple TVs read 5.1 for other rooms in the house and the main theater read 7.1 or later on DTS:X from the same movie files. I had no choice but to use MKV for Atmos since M4V won't store TrueHD files. All my 3D movies are just straight MKV dumps so they worked fine.

The bottom line is to use the Zidoo built-in player (main benefit is perfect 23.976 fps playback whereas it seems like KODI drops a frame sooner or later even on supported hardware), I'd have to convert all those movie containers over to MKV or at least the 7.1/X ones. Talk about a PITA. KODI and VLC can read DTS in M4V. Why can't Zidoo?

9. Works good but the clock shows 00:00 while watching movies. It's broken.

10. nc88keyz

nc88keyz Active Member

I think I have found a bug in 2.1.36

X9s / Using 2.1.36.66499 in HT 2.0 they have added 3D,4K,HDR badges for the images or bdmv folders vs. A/B/C

Here is the problem: Path is correct but 3D is playing 4K and 4K is playing when you click on the 3D badge. Very Odd.ed rescanning the title and exiting HT2.0 and re-entering the the app. NOGO. The former ABC buttons are now triggering the other version. Again the path direct is correct when highlighting the badge.

Just started with 2.1.36....Anyone else repeat this behavior?

11. VonMagnum

VonMagnum Member

What did it show before? It shows the amount of time left in the movie here when it's playing.

12. Franconian

Franconian Active Member

The ability showing the clock instead of the remaining time is broken (I think since .30). It works in .28, so I advise a rollback.

13. Franconian

Franconian Active Member

Did you think about just buying a Apple TV 4K with Infuse 6. may be the best choice for your wishes and infrastructure.

14. GoDi

GoDi Member

I would like to go back to 2.1.28, how would I do that? I read on 2.1.30 that someone bricked their x9s because they flashed the wrong image to it, how do I know what image I need to flash?
    My unit is bought from geekbuying in early october 2017.

15. szefo

szefo Active Member

If on the day of purchase x9s you had a software version lower than 2.1.1 use image 1.4.12.

16. Franconian

Franconian Active Member

In this case he can use both (I myself have one that came with 1.4.x, and I already restored with 2.1.1 and then flashed 2.1.28 that was detected directly after the first boot)

- If your have a X9S that came with 2.x.x, then only use 2.1.1 or you will brick it.
    - If your have a X9S that came with 1.4.x you can use 1.4.12 or 2.1.1

So anyone who is not sure which device it is (like bought used ones) go the save way and use 2.1.1.

17. szefo

szefo Active Member

18. Franconian

Franconian Active Member

As I said, I already did it successfully and I'm not the only one (several members of the German forum android-mediaplayer.de already used the 2.1.1 image for their old X9S). I don't know what this guy really did because the tried flashing serveral firmwares.

I mean it makes sense and is the case with many other firmwares for other products: You can use a higher firmware you had every time but can not use a earlier firmware that the one the product came with.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  19. Vinny4K

Vinny4K Active Member

My X9S is from feb 2017. I have a 1.2.3 flash file on my pc and used it about a year ago to flash my device. Don't know if it's still available and recommended atm.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  20. blasiusx

blasiusx Member

@VonMagnum

v2.0.15
    Download

Update list
    System:
    1,Improve the Stability of system
    2,Fix ZDMC port conflicts
    3,Add weather in China
    4,Fix the setting of front pad can not saved in system

Player:
    1,Add 4 colors for internal subtitle
    2,Optimize the Video information
    3,Optimize subtitle downloading

Filemanager:
    1,Add SMB v2

Blu-ray navigation:
    1,Fix failing to display subtitle when there is only one subtite
    2,Fix failing to choose subtitle in certain movies.
    3,Optimize 4K Blu-ray navigation

According to the official changelog, the X9S supports SMBv2 since version 2.0.15. (and the X8, too).

I just tried it and deactivated the SMBv1 on my Synology NAS (to min SMBv2). After that I no longer had access to my NAS via my X9S/X8 via SMB in the File Manager/Explorer. :mad:

That is really a cheek. Soon the Fritz boxes will get an update to SMBv2 / 3, maybe then nothing will work anymore with Zidoo/NAS.

3DBuff likes this.