New firmware v2.0.5 version(beta) for ZIDOO X9S release

Discussion in 'X9S Official Firmware Releases' started by mirror, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Malcedo

Malcedo New Member

I have already solved the problem of noise in HDMI IN recordings

In settings of the screen options it is necessary to set the color depth to off.

It has worked for me, it must be because my TV is 8 bit, and in this option, if you put it in an automatic, it will be set to 10 or 12 bit.

Sorry for my English I use the translator of google I am Spanish. :)

2. ursiel

ursiel Active Member

I'm a new user and just updated my x9s from 1.4.12 to 2.0.5 after initially being very disappointed in DVD playback. Sadly, things have not improved.

DVD playback is completely broken on 2.0.5, as well as previous versions:

- When playing NTSC (29.97) 4:3 aspect ratio DVDs (VIDEO_TS or ISO, or individual VOB files), video is "stretched" horizontally. It is not stretched to 16:9, as there are vertical pillarboxes (black bars), but it is not the correct 4:3 aspect ratio, as the pillarboxes are not as wide as they should be. It's half-way between 4:3 and 16:9. It is completely distorted and there is no way to fix it. Hitting "menu" brings up an option under the pop-up menu on the left for "aspect ratio" but the 2 options are:
    - "full"
    - "fit"
    Neither option displays 4:3 correctly. "Full" stretches the image to 16:9, and "fit" displays the image partially stretched.

- When playing PAL (25.00) 4:3 aspect ratio DVDs, the opposite is true - the video is "squished" horizontally, resulting in pillarboxes wider than they should be. Again, neither "full" nor "fit" displays it correctly. "Full" stretches the image to 16:9, and "fit" displays the image partially squished.

- Same holds true for 16:9 NTSC and PAL content - it is "squished" horizontally into the same broken aspect ratio - in-between 4:3 and 16:9. You have to hit the menu key on the remote and force the aspect ratio option to 16:9 to force it into the proper 16:9 aspect ratio.

To put it simply, regardless of the disc's aspect ratio, the Zidoo forces all DVD content to a weird "in-between" aspect ratio - neither 4:3 or 16:9. So both ratios are broken for DVD playback.

How is this an issue a year+ into the player's firmware? How has this not been discovered and fixed already? Am I really the only one who has discovered this, or has this just been ignored? This is a deal-breaker for me and I will be returning this player ASAP if this can't be fixed quickly. Many people still have large collections of DVDs and DVD files. If a media player in 2018 can't get basic DVD playback figured out, there's something wrong.

Also:

- The navigation bar is broken for DVD ISOs. In a 1 hr, 46min film, hitting the right navigation key on the remote skips to 35:28, 1:10:56, and 1:46:25 (end). That's it. In a 25 min TV episode, I cannot skip in the navigation bar at all. There's no way to go anywhere else in the video. I have confirmed this with multiple DVDs. The numerical keys do bring you to the percentage of the film, so it's the navigation bar that is broken. The navigation bar seems to work "okay" with DVD VIDEO_TS folders, though the navigation bar is choppy (not smooth) and a bit hard to get where you want in the video. It's not as precise as with mkvs, mp4s, etc.

- DVD menu navigation was broken in one of the PAL DVD ISOs I tried. You could not see any indicator in the DVD menu as you moved from option to option. If you hit "ok" on the remote it would activate the option you were on in the menu, but there was no way to see what option I was on since moving the remote's navigation buttons weren't having any visual effect on-screen (no arrow or highlighted text of any kind like you usually see in DVDs and blu-rays).

- You can't navigate or skip warnings or other junk (studio intros) when DVDs start playing. Hitting menu doesn't work. You have to sit through them.

- Cannot hit "menu" key on remote to bring up the player's menu options when on the DVD menu page. You have to start playback first.

- When clicking on a DVD ISO file, it thinks it's a blu-ray file:
    "This file may be a bluray image file,Please choose operation to be performed.
    Play
    Blu-ray menu"

Hitting "Play" still brings you to the menu, just like hitting "blu-ray menu".

- When clicking on a folder with a DVD VIDEO_TS folder, it thinks it's a blu-ray folder:
    "This is a Blu-ray folder. Please make a selection
    Open
    Play
    Blu-ray menu"

Hitting "Play" still brings you to the menu, just like hitting "blu-ray menu".

- I also installed the latest ZDMC and set it up, then tried playing those same DVDs in ZDMC. The aspect ratio is correct in ZDMC but both NTSC and PAL have constant stuttering every few seconds, making it unwatchable. This is with the Zidoo's options set to HDMI auto, and I also tried it with HDMI 1080p@60Hz.

All of this combined makes DVDs an exercise in frustration and unplayable. Can the Zidoo team please, please look into this?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
    nikos_a likes this.
  3. I'll continue on 1.5.0
    I will not update at the moment

4. Ekul

Ekul Active Member

Stuttering is caused by the wrong fps output, most dvd's are 25 fps (50i) and should be output as 50 fps.
    All my bbc series are unwatcheble.
    You could try to put the player at 1080p 50 hz manual and turn off auto framerate.

5. nikos_a

nikos_a Active Member

I already mentioned this as request.

http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?thr...to-media-center-zidoo-player.5448/#post-26601

It was supposed to be examined but no luck so far. Honestly, this is basic 4:3 playback request. And unfortunately, developers have to understand that there is a LOT of 4:3 material still especially older series released on BluRay or DVD.

ursiel likes this.
  6. I'll continue with 1.5.0

7. litlgi74

litlgi74 Member

Hopefully a simple issue to fix... The VFD display does not stay "closed." If you switch from light to close it goes off... But comes back on when the X9S gets rebooted.

8. OlivierQC

OlivierQC Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I just checked Jack Reacher 2 UHD HDR ISO with the Egreat, the BD menu appears but when I choose play, nothing happens and everything is frozen, nothing works and I have to restart the Egreat.

the problem comes from the video file, not Zidoo.

and so far I have no problem with the BD menu and zidoo devices for the moment with my ISO/BDMV.

EDIT : i delete JC 2

see you

9. ursiel

ursiel Active Member

Wesk05 posted this in the Kodi forum for this player:

"As for the refresh rate issue, it is present only for 2160p 4:4:4 mode. The output refresh rate is different for 10-bit and 12-bit. It is 23.982 for 12-bit and 23.988 for 10-bit. These offsets will theoretically cause stutter every 166.67 and 83.33 seconds resp. This is probably the reason why it has gone unnoticed."

"23.982 and 23.988 are the actual refresh rates for 2160p 23.976fps content when the output is set to 12 or 10-bit YCbCr 4:4:4 resp. Other frame rates are not affected. 24.000/25.000/30.000/50.000/60.000 are perfect. 29.970/59.940 have minor offsets but I wouldn't worry about it.

It is likely to be some minor error (? typo) in the HDMI transmitter code that is causing this. Zidoo should be able to fix it quickly."

I have tested this myself with motion bars, and I can confirm that 23.976 does indeed stutter with output set to 4:4:4 at 2160p with deep color set to 10-bit or 12-bit. The player says in the pop-up that it's sending 2160p 23.976, but apparently it's not adhering to the 23.976 framerate. I have no way to measure the framerate output other than viewing motion bar test patterns and watching for stutter in content.

This is critical and I hope they fix this ASAP, please.
    As it stands, 23.976 will stutter for anyone with the above configuration, though for some it may be hard to notice. I'm sensitive to stutter anyways so I notice it. If possible, could you also take a look at 29.970/59.940 and confirm that those are being output correctly? Even if the offset/stutter is minor, it shouldn't be happening and some people are more sensitive to stutter than others.

This issue apparently developed in the 1.5.0 update and has carried over to 2.0.5. Stability is the most important thing in any media player. This player has great potential, but having something like this break in an update makes me worry about what may break in the next update.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  10. ursiel

ursiel Active Member

I agree - it's disappointing to hear this has been brought up so many months ago and yet it still hasnt been addressed. This is basic stuff. Many people have large DVD collections of old movies and TV series that may never get released on another format. Proper DVD support is important, and that means both PAL and NTSC DVDs (ISO and VIDEO_TS folders) need to display in the correct aspect ratios, whether 4:3 or 16:9. This is a deal-breaker for me and there's still time to return my player. I'm hoping this and a couple other big issues get fixed soon, or at least some confirmation that they will correct it would be nice.

From what I understand 25fps should be output as 50, but I'm in the US and my 60Hz TV doesn't display 25 or 50, so I rely on the player to convert 25/50 to 60Hz. I agree it should be outputting it correctly for those that can display 50Hz.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  11. gadgetman

gadgetman Active Member

Try alien,aliens,alien 3,alien resurrection, for starters then report back that menu's work

12. leonkoum

leonkoum Active Member Beta test group

What ever I have done ‘alien covenant’ is not recognized...:(o_O

13. OlivierQC

OlivierQC Well-Known Member

As for Rogue one, the martian, independence day ...

leonkoum
    Alien covenant UHD HDR works...and covenant too

see you

14. gadgetman

gadgetman Active Member

As for Rogue one, the martian, independence day (never said these do not work) except the branching on rogue one does not work.

So you saying alien iso blu ray displays the menu and not just a black screen?

15. tosh123

tosh123 Member

A lot of devices are stuttering on 50Hz.
    The solution is to force the screen on 25Hz files to output also 25Hz instead 50Hz.
    On KODI you can create an advancedsettings.xml with the following:
    1. <advancedsettings>
    2. <video>
    3. <adjustrefreshrate>
    4. <override>
    5. <fpsmin>24.99</fpsmin>
    6. <fpsmax>25.01</fpsmax>
    7. <refreshmin>24.99</refreshmin>
    8. <refreshmax>25.01</refreshmax>
    9. </override>
    10. </adjustrefreshrate>
    11. </video>
    12. </advancedsettings>

16. SaskMedia

SaskMedia Member

I have not had any issues with 3D playback using the external player in either 1.5 or 2.0.5. LGUB8500 4k 3D TV

17. Ekul

Ekul Active Member

I dont need 25 hz ,what i see now on the tv, but 50. Advancesettings are for the kodi player, but i use zidoo player for PQ quality and smoothness.
    In fw 1.4.6 all is ok , tv show 50 hz for all 25 hz material and plays well.

18. ursiel

ursiel Active Member

Deep color causing the screen to flash black

I used the native "Media Center" player, not ZDMC.

During my testing today with the x9s and my LG LED UHD UH8500, I discovered the screen flashes briefly to black for 1-2 seconds, almost like it's changing resolution or frame rate, but it isn't. It happens randomly but persistently, sometimes several times a minute, sometimes a couple minutes go without it happening. I pinpointed it to deep color when combined with certain color space modes:

HDMI Mode: AUTO
    Deep Color Mode: AUTO; 12bit; 10-bit
    Color Space Mode:
    - YCbCr 422; RGB 444 - no flashing
    - AUTO; YCbCr 444; YCbCr 420 - flashing

HDMI Mode: AUTO
    Deep Color Mode: OFF
    Color Space Mode:
    - AUTO; YCbCr 444; YCbCr 420; YCbCr 422; RGB 444 - no flashing

AUTO, YCbCr 444 and YCbCr 420 all cause flashing when any deep color mode is enabled. Why is this happening?

Update:

Black flashing solved!

So I connected my new WalMart Black Web premium certified 18Gbps HDMI 2.0 cable, and it has totally eliminated the screen flashing black. It indeed was my old 1.4 HDMI cable to blame. It couldn't handle 4:4:4 deep color apparently. My LG has 3 HDMI inputs and all 3 accept 4:4:4 from what I've been told, so every HDMI port should act the same for me.

I would say anybody that is having the issue with the screen flashing black should try a premium HDMI 2. o cable, and if that doesn't solve it, try a different HDMI port.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
  19. Sh1no8i

Sh1no8i New Member

Hi guys, just upgraded from my trusted 4yr old Mede8er to the Zidoo X9S and updated to FW to 2.0.5

Couple of things...

1) Anyone else have an issue with ‘viewport’ setting not being saved? I.e. set to display folder content list in A-Z for example, but after launching from standby, the content in the folder reverts back to something else.

2) Also, there isn’t a ‘watched’ indicator, I.e. if you’re watching episodes of a TV show, there’s no way to tell which episode you’re on? (When you come back to continue at a later time).

Thanks in advance.

20. Sh1no8i

Sh1no8i New Member

Hi, can’t tell you why this is happening, but I’ve had a similar experience. Screen goes black intermittently, HDR trigger on my TV would go on and off, the AV Reciever was cutting sound on/off.

I switched ‘deep colour’ mode off, this doesn’t affect HDR as far as I can tell since my TV displays the HDR notification pop up, and TV info shows BT2020. I’ve left HDR setting ‘on’ and turned off deep colour. The colour space on ‘auto’ and no more issues with TV or AV Reciever, audio is passing through fine too.