NEO S - Unfit For Purpose

Discussion in 'General - Guides and FAQ' started by Carlton Kid, Jan 12, 2023.

1. Carlton Kid

Carlton Kid New Member

During initial setup and testing I have come across serious problems with the way audio is handled. The DAC and the HDMI audio cannot be enabled at the same time. If I turn on the DAC, listen to music all is fine. If I then switch to a Movie all is fine but if I then go back to music I find that the DAC has now been turned off. THIS IS CRAZY !!!! This situation means that every time I switch from music to movie I have to go back into settings to switch either DAC or HDMI audio. This is further compounded by trying to playback DVDs with both DD/DTS and PCM audio tracks, only one type can be selected because part of the hardware is switched off. I can't believe how anyone who owns a NEO S can live with this, I can't. I will subsequently be looking to return this for a full refund. Under the sale of goods act the NEO S is "Unfit for Purpose"

2. witchdoctor

witchdoctor Member

I got the Z10 Pro to avoid this issue and use a dedicated DAC instead.

3. Carlton Kid

Carlton Kid New Member

How do you connect an external DAC to the Z10 PRO ?

4. witchdoctor

witchdoctor Member

The Z10 Pro has 3 ports you can connect to a DAC, the optical, coax, and USB ports. I used the USB port but optical and coax would work as well:
    [​IMG]

5. Carlton Kid

Carlton Kid New Member

Yes but those outputs are only in PCM to start with although the USB does potentially give the highest quality. I need a player that can handle Native DSD SACD streams which is what I have with the NEO and also with my existing Auralic G1 and RME DAC

6. witchdoctor

witchdoctor Member

I use the usb into a Sony TA-ZH1ES DAC and it sounds excellent. I was considering a separate server for music but feel the Zidoo is a good match with my DAC.