Naming convention TV scraper for HT 4.0

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by noe from the matrix, Jun 9, 2021.

1. I set up my Z9X today and unfortunately found the vast majority of my TV library in the unmatched section.
    Before I go about renaming, I was wondering about the exact naming convention required for best results for TV shows (movies went mostly okay).

I really can't make heads or tails of it, as when the scraper gets the correct information seems random to me. Some examples:

successful match:
    Title.Of.Show.S02E01.REPACK.720p.HDTV.x264-AVS.mkv
    Title.Of.Show.US.S02E02.720p.HDTV.x264-AVS.mkv
    Title.Of.Show.S02E03.1080p.HDTV.x264-BRISK.mkv

no match:
    Title.Of.Show.S03E01.WEBDL-2160p.mkv
    Title.Of.Show.S03E02.WEBDL-2160p.mkv
    Title.Of.Show.S03E03.WEBDL-2160p.mkv

and others like it. I think I have what I need to change the filenames relatively easily due to all my media being managed in Sonarr and Radarr but I'm not sure what name to change it to. It also seems like changing the filenames is required as you can't fix the match on the device itself as easily as you can in Plex for example.

EDIT: Not sure if it matters but my TV shows are stored in folders like this:

TV
    -Title of Show
    --Season 3
    ---Title.Of.Show.S03E01.WEBDL-2160p.mkv
    ---Title.Of.Show.S03E02.WEBDL-2160p.mkv
    ---Title.Of.Show.S03E03.WEBDL-2160p.mkv
    --Season 4
    ---Title.Of.Show.S04E01.WEBDL-2160p.mkv
    ---Title.Of.Show.S04E02.WEBDL-2160p.mkv
    ---Title.Of.Show.S04E03.WEBDL-2160p.mkv
    -Title of Another Show
    --Season 1
    etc etc

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
  2. Inikad

Inikad Active Member

Put all the episodes from all the seasons in the main folder of the TV show. No folder per season to get an automatic scrape. If you want to keep the "one folder per season" structure, you will have to use the batch editing function.

For the name, usually something like that works pretty well:

- Title Of Show.S03E01

- Title Of Show (Year).S03E01

XiziX likes this.
  3. OlivierQC

OlivierQC Well-Known Member

4. Thankfully, this was incorrect. I used the re match function described here http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?threads/posterwall-ht4-0.87599/#post-150464 and manually matched my TV shows to their proper entry. I'm not sure why the scraper wouldn't just work on the first scan tho, considering every single re-match worked on the first try.

5. OlivierQC

OlivierQC Well-Known Member

6. Is there a way to mark individual episodes of a TV show as watched or can you only do it on a show and season basis?

7. Inikad

Inikad Active Member

No, it wasn’t. ;)

If you want to get a good % of match with the automatic scrape of the source, all the episodes must be in the main folder of the show.

Same with the batch editing function used to rematch all the episodes from a show in one shot in manual. :)

8. Even after manually fixing all my shows via the re-match function, when a new episode gets downloaded HT 4.0 is unable to add it to the correct show automatically, this is truly infuriating.

9. boxerfan

boxerfan Active Member

I was infuriated months ago with HT4 media library scanning/matching, and went back to ZDMC. I must say that HT4 has progressed a lot since then, but still far from Kodi/Jellyfin accuracy. I still hope to adopt the native HT(8) when it is sufficiently reliable & accurate…

10. Does DV playback still work when using ZDMC?

11. DennisTheMenace

DennisTheMenace Active Member

Yes of course, it uses the internal Player of zidoo

12. Does the HT 4.0 app support imdb/tmdb IDs in the folder name and/or filename to help with search or is it pointless putting it in there?

13. Netmask

Netmask Well-Known Member

Ideally the naming of any file should IMO be simply eg A Sound of Thunder (2005).mkv (or mp4 or avi etc etc) and for TV The Expanse S01E01.mkv with the technical details of the file picked up via mediainfo to provide on screen details like SD or HD or UHD and audio type etc . It's really quite silly having to rename a movie followed by a string of additional information. Virtually every other media player uses mediainfo to extract this information.

14. Netmask

Netmask Well-Known Member

That's the type of info a scrapper should pickup or the user to manually insert for movies that have the same name etc.

15. It should I guess but the usual issues of names that are too short, consist only of numbers or contain special characters cannot be avoided with this method, all these movies had to matched manually:

'71 tt2614684 (2014)
    1917 tt8579674 (2019)
    All the President's Men tt0074119 (1976)
    Ernest & Celestine tt1816518 (2012)
    Ida tt2718492 (2013)
    Mud tt1935179 (2013)
    Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri tt5027774 (2017)

It's a shame that the scraper doesn't give an imdb priority above all else if one is found, seems like it would simplify things quite a bit.

16. Love3Dwatmos

Love3Dwatmos New Member

Not sure where to ask this but I am having the worst time getting HT4 to scan my TV shows. I have just over a hundred shows and manually rematching them is taking days, days my wife assures me I don't have. My naming convention looks like this,

-Title of Show
    ---Title Of Show - S03E01 - Title of Episode.mkv
    ---Title Of Show - S03E02 - Title of Episode.mkv
    ---Title Of Show - S03E03 - Title of Episode.mkv

Even after rematching I found most of the time HT4 matches up the wrong episodes with mine. I used TMM to label the shows the first time. I can go back and use Bulk Renaming Utility to rename, but I just want to get it right. The scraper seems so random. Is it the dashes " - " that are the problem? Do the periods instead of spaces help?

I find myself in Boxerfan's camp, but I really like the look of HT4 over Kodi.

17. The scraper is pretty bad for TV shows I've found but putting the season number in the folder name made a big difference for me. Try

-Title of Show Season 3
    ---Title Of Show.S03E01.mkv
    ---Title Of Show.S03E02.mkv
    ---Title Of Show.S03E03.mkv

Removed the titles of the individual episodes because that's just more words to potentially confuse the scraper and used dots instead of dashes because hose are more standard.

18. slappy2

slappy2 New Member

I also have problem scanning my tv series.

I am really disapointed that Zidoo choose a different naming convention then kodi, jriver and plex. I will not rename all my 60 TB of tv series. All my other machines are using kodi. So i will use zdmc for tv serie and HT 4.0 for the movies.

Six66Mike likes this.
  19. muha

muha Active Member

God bless Bulk Rename Utility for it is good.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
  20. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

I've been using that for years - awesome software.

muha likes this.