My current issues with Z9X

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Tagh_azog, Sep 6, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Tagh_azog

Tagh_azog New Member

Hello team, folks,

I recently setup the Zidoo to watch movies but i'm facing one minor problem and one major problem.
    My setup is:
    NAS: Synology DS420j
    Player: Zidoo Z9X
    Image: Panasonic JZ1500
    Audio: Denon 4520

I am currently on a Stereo configuration until i find what is missing to complete the HC. Since the Denon is not capable of native 4K, I'm using the e-ARC from the TV, so my Zidoo is connected via HDMI on the TV, and the TV by HDMI e-ARC on the Denon.

Let's start with
    Minor problems:
    - How do I find movies the scrapper is unable to retrieve whatever search words I try? (it shouldn't have trouble finding this kind of movie imdb.com/title/tt0431197/, but it didn't find it whatever I did, but cannot find it to force it)
    - I heard NFS has better performance, but doesn't work on the Zidoo, I can see the shared folder from the NAS, but I do not see anything in the folder.

Major problems:
    - Several of my ripped isos have their menus broken, i can still play the main video, but the menus bug or don't even start for some of them, any idea?
    - My Denon crashed for the first time and could hear a cracked sound just before the crash, which is pretty scary, this is the main issue at the moment, because if Zidoo can damage my 10 000$ audio material I'm going to really be not gentle at them at all, this is absolutely never something that should ever happen.
    - The sound problem that caused the crash is unknown, but not isolated, as i simply cannot read many mkvs, the image works, not the sound (Yes, i'm obviously on RAW in the options).
    It also seems Dolby works better than DTS which never works.
    The only thing that i made to work was setting sound output to Auto and not RAW, which means Zidoo is probably decoding the audio instead of my Denon...

While the minor issues are not a big deal, those sound issues are absolutely critical at the moment, anyone experienced that? does the staff have known issues or fixes? (My zidoo has 2 weeks and its firmware should be updated, will check it once back to my home)

Thank you for your help,
    Jérôme

2. AngryVirginian

AngryVirginian Active Member

Similar to new LG TVs, your TV does not seem to support DTS so you cannot eARC any DTS format. Also, it looks like your Denon AVR only supports ARC and not eARC. ARC does not have enough bandwidth for lossless audio formats; Dolby TrueHD and DTS:HD-MA.

3. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

No idea why you can't scrape The Kingdom - found it first time here:

upload_2022-9-6_17-28-59.png

It's a bit of a myth that NFS produces better performance - it started over a decade ago when we would use NFS in preference to SMB because, being a very old protocol, NFS has less of an overhead on the network so it used to work better for high bitrate files. That's not the case these days, however, if you want to use it, NFS works with Zidoo, so it must be something to do with your network configuration.

upload_2022-9-6_17-28-29.png

Never seen the audio problem you describe and I've certainly never seen a source that's not even connected to an amp make the amp crash, but I assume your sound issues are to do with the compatibility of the amp (presumably it has ARC) and the TV with E-ARC and using RAW on the audio. Theoretically the EDID should take care of it, but maybe not - try setting audio to "Auto". You have something set wrong somewhere but I'm not sure what it is.

4. Tagh_azog

Tagh_azog New Member

Thank you for the fast replies. As I do not have yet a preamp+amp (cannot find them yet, so i keep my Denon at the moment), do you have any idea to get the sound not passing through ARC then, as my Zidoo Z9X does not have an HDMI out for sound only (which is a very nice feature to have in my opinion) ?

As I told earlier I've set the audio out to Auto to get the sound to work, i don't know if decoding the audio ahead of the Denon provides less good audio quality, as I'm in Stereo.

Damn what did you search to get The Kingdom? Why would it ever be different from one person to another? Servers are not the same depending on the country? Looks weird.

PS: Where did you get the info for my TV not supporting DTS on ARC? Couldn't find the official specs about this.

5. Markswift2003

You said you were using RAW, not Auto.

However, if you are just using Stereo then just chose "LPCM 2 Channel"

I just added a file called "The Kingdom.mkv" and scanned it - I didn't have to search for anything, it found it first time.

6. Tagh_azog

Tagh_azog New Member

Yes i had the bug with RAW, but i precised after that the only way to remove the problems were to set Auto.

I have also another issue i didn't talk about, I Ripped my Game of Thrones Blu-Ray Discs but i can't set the episodes in the Zidoo HT4, it doesn't recognise the iso as having multiple episodes in it...
    Am i forced to extract mkvs from the discs or there is a way to make the zidoo recognise blu-ray discs for series (i can set only one episode per disc)

7. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

8. Markswift2003

One of my best friends used to be a dubbing mixer and he regularly used to shut down his Brystons (running PMC MB fronts and Tannoy rears) because of his mixes, but yeah, same here, never ever seen an amp crash.

I have PMC IB fronts and wafers rear and height on my Denon 8500 and believe me I've tried to put that into thermal shutdown and although I've had it absolutely red hot, it's never ever shut down!

9. Tagh_azog

Tagh_azog New Member

Well, I've never seen it until it happened to me tw days ago^^
    I was switching audio track, then i heard a cracking sound very loud and the amp turned into safety mode (power led was flashing red, wasn't really off).

As I do not have yet a preamp+amp (cannot find them yet, so i keep my Denon at the moment), do you have any idea to get the sound not passing through ARC then, as my Zidoo Z9X does not have an HDMI out for sound only (which is a very nice feature to have in my opinion) ?
    Do i need to go other Zidoo like Z1000 pro which has an HDMI audio out or there is other options that will not affect image/sound quality and avoid ARC?

10. Markswift2003

The amp is obviously the weak link here - money would be better spent on that rather than a Z1000 etc then you can connect up normally - Source > Amp > Display.

In the meantime, since you're obviously not using lossless audio, why not just connect the amp by optical?

11. Tagh_azog

Tagh_azog New Member

Because I still use RAW output as much as i can as it gives me better sound quality, i do switch to auto only when i have no sound. All of this is temporary obviously, i want to change the amp, but i don't find the preamp/amp i want at the moment. I was wondering if there was a cheap splitter that could output HDMI audio and HDMI image until i get my high end preamp/amp.

12. Markswift2003

Yes, you could get an audio breakout splitter, something along these lines:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/hdmi-audio-splitter/s?k=hdmi+audio+splitter

13. Phil181

Phil181 Active Member

Perhaps see if you can find an old AVRKey for sale, as they work very well (and won't cost as much as the newer models from HDFury).
    P.S. you would need to get a UHD3000 to have twin HDMI outputs (with one for audio).

14. Gelto

Gelto Member

Hi Azog,

according to the Denon site, the 4520 is well capable of 4K:
    upload_2022-9-7_15-24-50.png

So what happens if you connect the Z9X directly to the Denon and play some 4K with HD audio content?

15. Markswift2003

It's HDMI 1.4a, so is capable of 4K passthrough at 300MHz (4K30 4:2:2 12-bit/4:4:4 RGB 8-bit and 4K60 4:2:0 8-bit only) but not HDR10 which requires HDMI2.0.

Early on in HDR days, some HDMI 1.4 devices were jerry rigged to allow HDR10 metadata (Epson projectors for example) but I don't think Denon ever did that.

16. Gelto

Gelto Member

Ah, thanks Mark, my bad, didn't check thoroughly enough :confused:
    Then it's probably best to go for a HDMI Splitter, right.