Music Player 6 - Scanning

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by rozel, Feb 25, 2021.

1. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Hi all

I am preparing for a review of the music I hold on my NAS now that I have an external DAC. I want to update my thread on my experiences but felt it appropriate to change the directory structure somewhat and then Scan the main folder holding various sub and album folders. What I thought was a simple procedure has left me asking a few questions: -

1. My music is quite extensive - well over 1Tb - and seems to be taking hours. Is this normal? The particular folders I'm scanning are High Definition Flacs and DSD files. Currently I started 8 hours ago and it is still scanning - again is this normal?
    2. I've noticed once the screen-saver kicks in, more often than not when I go back to check progress, the % (percentage) counter has disappeared so it's difficult to know how much progress has been made - is this normal?
    3. I'm asking myself why I'm doing this? I find if I play my music through "file manager" the songs play in Music Player so I'm confused - could someone please explain?
    Many thanks

2. Ozzyoz

Ozzyoz Member

I have a Z9S.
    Music Player 6 , to me only scans 130 songs and then crashes :eek:
    Am I wrong to scan or it's a bug?

3. mecanix

mecanix New Member

1- same issue
    i have 900 g of music alway crash after 2 or 3 hour of scaning, or it freeze at 3%
    Music Player 6 fail for me

i am now using "Music Folder Player Full" (no ad version)
    no scaning need it play folder by folder

2- I've noticed once the screen-saver kicks (there and option you can put 30 minute or 1 hour or never)
    me i set it up 15 minute and fill the folder with 1000 4k image but there alway show up in the same sequence,
    random image option will be nice

zidoo is hack machin with hack code with bad coder!

4. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

1 & 2 - Last night I "Stopped" the scanning, then restarted it by pressing "Update" - it quickly jumped to 80.24%, suggesting this is where it had stopped previously. I left it running over night and this morning it showed "Scanned" - happy days. But is this normal?

3. Hoping someone can tell us the purpose of Scanning

5. tosh123

tosh123 Member

Me too, i have never get the music player running (trying since V3) - it crashes on scanning. Bad that it begins every time new. I have tried to let them scanning x songs, take a break bevor crashing and try to follow for the next songs, but every time he begins from starting point to scan. I have given up to use this for music.

6. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

But why is it necessary to scan (or indeed is it?). I can play the music through MP6 using the inbuilt File Manager without scanning. I really don't understand at all.

7. McBluna

McBluna Well-Known Member

@rozel you're not the streaming generation. Listening a complete album is not modern anymore. ;)

8. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

@McBluna - I guess what you are saying is using the file manager you play 1 song at a time whereas after scanning you can play a complete album or playlist?

9. Whitfield

Whitfield Active Member

"Necessary" for collection of metadata. Artist, album, release date, cover images, that sort of things. Which would be a lot faster/unnecessary when Zidoo would be able to read tags on musicfiles in the first place.

Maybe you wanna bump this thread:

http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?thr...eatures-into-basic-mp-and-juke-box-app.84839/

Mabon likes this.
  10. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

11. Rob W

Rob W Active Member

After a scan has added songs to my Albums and artists list they are all removed if the share is unavailable when the music application starts. I then have to rescan all music again or just go to folder manually. This is super annoying because my NAS sleeps when it's not being used and wakes up on activility. HT4 manages to not delete my whole libary while it lets my disks wake up but not music app!

I also have all flac albums and yes it takes far too long to scan the files.

12. McBluna

No

rozel and Mabon like this.
  13. Ozzyoz

Ozzyoz Member

Not work after twenty time .....:mad: .....
    it seems enough to me

14. McBluna

After my HT loader tool is out of beta I'll write a tool to read the tags from the music files and transfer the info into the MP database. The online scraper doesn't work and the offline scraper uses only the filenames. May be the tool can fill the gap until Zidoo improve the scraper.

Sawas and Mabon like this.
  15. Paul777

Paul777 Member

I have a question too:

Which music formats include lyrics inside the file, probably this is flac or maybe this is mp3, i don't know very well about this.

16. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

@Paul777 a very good question. I too am confused as to why some of my files have Lyrics and some do not.

In the meantime I've been messing about with Scanning and have found that when I start a scan, if it bombs out, and the only way I've found if it has, is to see if the % counter has stalled for over 30 mins or so or to listen to my HDD inserted into the front of the Z1000 Pro - if it's quiet then it's bombed out! If it has stalled then I click "Update" and it restarts from when it last bombed out. So far I've only had to do this once per Scan, if that makes sense.

Another issue (I won't call it a problem as it was probably my doing) is that I was testing my External USB DAC using UAPP. I was playing the same music via my Android Tablet, but via a different server, bypassing the Zidoo completely. I exited last night whilst some music was still playing. This morning I went back into MP 6 only to find my Music "Sources" to be invalid. After fiddling around for a bit I came back to the track that was "paused" at the foot of the screen and started to scratch my head. Eventually I removed 17 tracks from the playback "Queue" and voila, the Sources were back to normal again. This might seem basic to some but this External DAC malarky isn't easy to fathom! - my hat goes off to people like @Nice Monkey and @CGI who have probably been where I'm still going - patience is a virtue.

As I watch the family funeral of the late Captain Sir Thomas Moore, whilst typing this post, I can only reiterate - "TOMORROW WILL BE A GOOD DAY"

17. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Both MP3 and FLAC allow lyrics to be tagged optionally.

18. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

And how exactly do you do that please?

19. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

There are many PC applications for MP3/FLAC tagging/editing. Never bother myself anymore.

20. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Thanks @Mabon - very helpful. I assume this procedure is for all audio files including DSD files?

Mabon likes this.