Music playback on Z9X sounds 'lifeless'

Discussion in 'other' started by GoldenRetroGames, May 22, 2022.

1. GoldenRetroGames

GoldenRetroGames New Member

I picked up a Z9X several weeks ago and it's absolutely fantastic for playing movies. Unfortunately, I'm finding that music playback isn't as good. Overall it feels completely anemic. Playback using other devices like an Oppo BD-103, XBMC on a ShieldTV Pro or line out from a Fiio M11 Plus sound as I'd expect it to. I don't see any options that would be negatively affecting the sound, like a poor EQ config.

It also seems that the audio is playing at a significantly lower volume with the Z9X. Tool's Fear Inoculum (24bit 96khz) is a perfect volume on my other devices at about -17db on my receiver, while I need to go to about -5db to level match with the Z9X. It still doesn't sound right after level matching.

Is this expected with the music app on the Z9X? Is there a better app I should be side loading? I could simply continue using other devices for music, but it would be nice if I didn't have to.

EDIT:
    The volume issue was fixed by enabling 'Volume Direct Mode'. Music still doesn't sound right though. It's like there are frequencies that are turned way down.

Last edited: May 22, 2022