Multi select srt subtitles

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Galactic, Feb 4, 2023.

1. Galactic

Galactic New Member

I read a few threads about forced subtitles and seems things are quite confusing.
    I use srt subtitles because they are better and more easy to tweak than PGS.

I would like to ask from the Zidoo devs to implement the feature of selecting more than one srt subtitles to appear at once.
    So if I download for example the original subtitle and then the forced one, I can select both subtitles from the subtitle list so they appear both at their respective times.
    Thanks!

2. Netmask

Netmask Well-Known Member

Normally the forced subs are simply extracted from the full version of the sub, not the SDH version that has sound effects description like “door opens”. When a forced version is provided that dialog is not removed from the full srt version ie missing so really you would simply double up. I could post a couple for you to examine the time codes and you will see nothing is lost or removed from the full text srt sub. Some people would like to have subs top and bottom of the screen for separation of characters etc. This can be done via .ass subs, not sure if Zidoo fully supports all the features of .ass?

Galactic likes this.
  3. Galactic

Galactic New Member

Yes you are right, I dont extract the full, I use the SDH versions because it gives some important hints about the movie sometimes.
    I dont know about .ass but you helped thanks!
    Nevertheless I would hope for the feature of multi select as not all full subs contain the forced language.

4. Netmask

Netmask Well-Known Member

"Nevertheless I would hope for the feature of multi select as not all full subs contain the forced language."

As SRT format doesn't occur naturally in either DVD or BD discs they have to be made by someone doing a optical to text conversions, ie an amateur.
    I've yet to come across a SRT text only of SDH that is devoid of the forced dialog information. Could you give me a couple of examples and I'll check my collection if I happen to have the title. As I'm hard of hearing, age related hearing loss I need subs but not SDH. I often download SDH subs and remove the instruction side using Subtitle Edit ( https://www.videohelp.com/software/Subtitle-Edit ) and selectively leaving in character names sometimes etc.

5. Galactic

Galactic New Member

Yes the movie Plane with Gerard Butler.
    I just now merged the forced and the sdh srt files within zidoo, using Easy Subtitles app.