Mounting Internal Drive Shares

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X9S' started by teg, Jul 9, 2017.

1. teg

teg New Member

I want to get the most out of my X9S and would like to know how to mount the internal drive folders as Samba shares using OpenWRT. There is a video in the Hints & Tips section but without commentary and slower pace, it is difficult to follow.

Ultimately I would like to create playlists in Kodi. This is limited within the GUI. Smart Playlists do not appear to work correctly for me. Ultimately I would like to be able to mount folders on my NAS, so I can easily edit config files on X9S from my NAS.

Any help greatly appreciated.

2. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

well, that video is done by me, don't know how to explain it better

3. teg

teg New Member

Thanks HaoSs for the video but a simple explanation of how the drive on the X9S is made up, so we know which element to mount if you want to access the Kodi User Data folders would be really helpful.

4. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

you want to share the internal storage via samba ? Never tried that myself, and to be honest , you should not load the internal storage with videos, you have 3 better options for this:
    1) get a SD card, share that via samba ( low speed tho )
    2) get a USB 3.0 stick for fast transfers
    3) get a 2 TB HDD ( usb 3.0 or sata connection ) BEST option. and share that.

5. teg

teg New Member

Thanks for your response but you mis-understand my requirements. I do not wish to load any videos onto the internal drive. I have a NAS which contains all my media.

I want to be able to edit files in the Kodi user data folder. For example create and edit playlist files which reference the media on my NAS. Now I can do this via EZ File Explorer on the box itself but this is clunky and I then have to reload Kodi to see if my changes have been successful. If I could mount the drive and view the shares on my laptop, I would be able to edit the playlist files and then see the update applied within Kodi

6. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

Hmm, setup FTP and connect to it, you should find the android folder in the "/" location and search from there. For kodi is : Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/ , for zdmc should be some Android/data/somethingwith zdmc in it/

7. sprengbox

sprengbox New Member

You have to install and run a ftp-Server Application on the x9s to access the internal drive.
    With openwrt/ftp its not possible to access the internal sdcard.

8. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

may be true, never tested myself, i know there is a android folder in the "/" directory but did not go in to it

9. antenna

antenna New Member

servers ultimate
    samba server

10. htpc

htpc Member

its possible to acces an external sdcard wich is insertet in the x9s with the openwrt-ftp.
    this works so far.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  11. teg

teg New Member

Thanks htpc - could you guide me through how to set this up on my box? I would prefer not to have separate applications installed and use the openwrt-ftp application. I have EZ File Explorer installed as an Android app on the front end.

12. htpc

htpc Member

i am also collecting experinces with this androidboxes and my english is horrible, but i will try my best: )
    i start from the beginning: first you should type the ip of you x9s into an browser to acces the openwrt web-interface.
    user should be root and pw is not set for the first time you acces web-interface.
    i recomendt you go to system/administration and create a strong password.
    then you should go to the point "system" and choose mountet devices, i think so its called in english - my web-interface is in an other language.
    in this menue you can see if your external sdcard is mountet.
    it should be mountet like that: for example:

filesystem: mountpoint:
    /dev/mmcblk /mnt/mmcblk

if this is the case, your sdcard should be ready to use with ftp.
    then you go to nas-services/ftp. there you activate the ftp.
    unter the point "local-user just write as dir "/" without the marks.
    if its not already activatet, activate the options:
    Allow local member, Member can write,and Allow change permissions
    the options:
    Enable chroot and Allow writable chroot i don t have activatet.
    important: the openwrt-ftp seems to use the standard ftp-port wich is 21.
    i don t found directly an posibility to change this listen port in the web-interface.
    but if you want change the listen-port, you can go to the point "template"
    there you can paste on a free place the command: listen_port=your-port-number.

then you start you ftp client and give in the ip, portnumber, username and pw.
    under the path you saw under system/mountpoints for example /mnt/mmcblk you should find your external sdcard in your ftp-client.
    i use firmware V1.4.6.
    i hope i have not forgotten something, but the web-interface is nice and many things are self-explaining. i am sure, there are much more experienced people like me, wich can explain that better then me. i hope it helps you a little bit.

regards and good luck!; )

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  13. sprengbox

sprengbox New Member

... but the question was: "...how to mount the internal drive folders..."

14. htpc

htpc Member

that was the origin question.
    it can t be bad to have aditional informations, so i mentioned, that acces to an external sdcard with openwrt-ftp is possible.
    he asked then if i could guide him trough this.
    so i understood it and tried to help as good as i could.
    my answer was also only for that case.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  15. n_p

n_p Active Member

Another way to do this, which is probably preferable is to use adb instead of ftp.

Go into the X9S's settings and enable ADB.
    Then use Total Commander with the ADB Plugin if you are on Windows
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2105707

or aafm if you are on Linux/Mac OS
    https://github.com/sole/aafm

This has the advantage of not having to have an app active on the player side (ftp server) for it to work.

edit: It could be necessary to root and install WiFi ADB to make it work via WiFi. Not sure. Read the xda thread to get pointers.

16. PacoRabanne

PacoRabanne Well-Known Member Beta test group

17. n_p

n_p Active Member

You tell us. Until then, I'd say - no. (Where do you guys get those exotic recommentadions from?! ;) )

Here is my argument: :)

When you want to copy files, dont play "millenials choice" and get your dependency up on apps or proprietary solutions (never heard of this one, but regularly have facepalm moments when people recomend Airdroid to copy files - because the idea to first have to sign up for a service, and then log in - to copy files, is absolutely atrocious...).

Now heres the deal -

- adb as a transfer protocol doesnt need a separate agent app to be run on your TV box, so its always a good choice.

if you dont care that you have to launch an app every time you want to browse the filesystem on the tv box,

- ftp is a popular alternative, that only requires you to run a little server app, and an ftp client on your pc

another option is to run a smb server app on the android box (google xda samba), but thats the hardest one to realize, as Android 6.0 now comes with SELinux set to enforce by default and setting it to permissive is required for the xda samba app to work. For that you need root. If you disable (permissive) it permanently this disables a pretty critical Android security layer, so what I do on my phones is to write little scripts that can disable and launch the samba app on one click (su -c 'setenforce 0 && echo SELinux Status && getenforce && monkey -p com.funkyfresh.samba 1' && exit) and enable again, once I'm finished (su -c 'setenforce 1 && echo SELinux Status && getenforce && sleep 1' && exit) on another single button press. On a TV box it might be less critical, but if you want to set up custom execution scripts, you can do so with an App called Terminal Shortcut Pro. If you choose to disable (Permissive) SELinux permanently, you can even set the samba app to launch on boot, and then the samba server will be active until the app drops from memory. Launch on boot also means no tv remote action required.

That said, I personally use adb for my TV boxes, and samba for my smartphones - since I take my phone around with me and samba is more flexible in those cases, since the coputer on the other side doesnt need to run any special software to connect (just shows up as a windows share). My TV boxes get accessed from the same two PCs all the time, so its ok for them to have TotalCommander or aafm being installed as a prerequisite.

Those are the basic three protocols you use to get access to file systems wirelessly.

Why you'd want to use "Supermyphonexplorerthingimajing" instead of the most common file transfer protocols, escapes me.

If you want to escape from having to learn what protocols are, maybe - dont. The "millenials recommend app names to each other" - scene is worse enough as is, you dont need to rely on brand names/exotic app recommendations to copy files "most easily" (Just look at these ads, and sign up for an account, and then...).

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  18. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

dude, you always post this wall of text :)) try to compress it, no one has time to read that much

19. teg

teg New Member

Thanks for all your help people. I need to read through the message but I have a more immediate problem. Open WRT web interface does not work. I can login via Putty but every attempt to renable the web interface does not work. Any suggestions?

20. teg

teg New Member

How to enable ADP on the X9S settings? Could not see the facility anywhere under Developer settings.