MKV green screen with auto FR+RES

Discussion in 'ZIDOO Z9S' started by xtripsnova, Mar 16, 2020.

1. xtripsnova

xtripsnova Member

Hello,
    I almost never use MKVs but today I needed to and i was surprised to encounter that famous green screen.
    I read some posts so I decided to go back from 2.3.x to 2.2.96 via the 1.7.8 procedure.
    The green screen remained.
    So I decided to fiddle a bit and found out that setting off the Auto Frame Rate and/or Resolution was the only thing that solved the problem.
    Now, I need the auto frame rate + resolution set to on.
    Did anyone find a solution to that?

2. futeko.com

futeko.com Active Member

Try Settings - About - Advanced Settings - Display - CVBS Switch: OFF.

3. xtripsnova

xtripsnova Member

I tried that. It doesn’t help. Thanks

4. kfpanda

kfpanda Member

I have also encountered one green screen while watching a 1080p mkv today. In addition, there were intermittent audio drops. this is not the first time, the green screen happened w another 1080 mkv some time back. it seems 2..82 might be more stable.

5. c.peters

c.peters New Member

I have the same problem. I recently upgraded to firmware 2.3.32 and I have intermittent flashes of green screen while playing back mkv movies. Does anybody has a solution for that? Thanks.

6. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

If you use Z9S one could try FW 2.3.33 as that FW actually changed the AFR implementation. I just hope it solved the green screen problem playing some MKV with AFR too?
    Solving this problem was not mentioned in the updates!

7. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Have to be honest, I've never once seen a green screen from the Z9S on either my test box (Z9S>Denon7200>Samsung LED) or theatre box (Z9S>Denon8500<JVC PJ).

I've used the theatre box exclusively with MKV files for nearly 2 years now and the last issue I had with that was in Nov/Dec 2018 with an audio glitch. The test box has pretty much anything thrown at it. Before that I used the X9S and again, I don't recall ever seeing green screen with that box either.

There certainly isn't an intrinsic issue in either the SOC or the current implementation that results in this otherwise there would be more reports. I know this was an issue historically for some people, but that was under specific circumstances and it's not something that has reared its head for a long time.
    So I think the cause is very specific to circumstance.

The fact that the OP mentions AFR seems to indicate that perhaps in that case there was a file issue (maybe a file encode with VFR?) so the AFR is being triggered as the file plays and the TV interprets that as a sync loss. That could also happen with a glitched file.

Do all mkv files trigger it?

Is it only specific resolutions? Frame rates? Bit depth? Colour Modes?

Is there a specific codec in the files that trigger it (audio or video)? Codec levels?

If so do files of the same codec but in a different container trigger it?

Everyone's setup and usage is different, so it's nailing down the specific cause before looking for a solution.

3DBuff likes this.
  8. Nice Monkey

I have seen it once only myself starting a movie. Did not keep that movie. Turning OFF AFR made it play.

9. Tonyj

Tonyj New Member

I was getting green screen on 1080p 25fps mkv files on 2.2.32 but appears to be sorted with 2.2.33.

10. Nice Monkey

Was hoping for that. ;)

11. kfpanda

kfpanda Member

in earlier fw ver, i got the green/blank screen while on the media center folder list screen. that led me to think its more a handshake issue rather than codec/rip issue. anyway, seems the AFR implementation has been changed in .33 so lets see...