@mirror - bug with DV 23.976 output and LG C8/C9

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by DaMacFunkin, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Random_Vibration

Random_Vibration Active Member

I finally got my Z9X in and got it set up with my TV. I will provide my full setup in hopes it will help provide clarity.

I have a LG C6 I used for testing. My set up is Zidoo Z9X -> Marantz NR1608 -> C6. HDMI CEC is turned on for all devices. I ignored the Zidoo instructions to use their HDMI cable and have used mine own. I have more confidence in their abilities. They are both certified and proven by my personal experience.

The content used for the testing is my own UHD discs ripped to .mkv using the latest version of MakeMKV. The films used were Joker, Birds Of Prey, and Venom.

Test #1
    Zidoo settings:
    HDMI Mode - 3840x2160p 60hz
    HDR - Auto
    HDCP - 2.2
    Frame rate switch: Only Frame-rate
    Results - All three .mkv files played smoothly with Dolby Vision triggered on the TV. Resolution dropped to 1080p and 24hz. The same movies from the UHD disc play at 2160p 24hz and Dolby Vision from a Oppo UDP-203 using the same cable. The Oppo had the Marantz in the middle as well.

Test #2
    Zidoo settings:
    HDMI Mode - 3840x2160p 60hz
    HDR - Auto
    HDCP - 2.2
    Frame rate switch: Frame-rate & resolution
    Results - Played none of the .mkv files and kicked out of media player app

My HDR10 content plays back at 3840x2160p 24hz from the Zidoo Z9X as it did when I was using Zidoo X9s using the same cable.

Clearly, the Zidoo can't function in an environment the Oppo UDP-203 can. Once I get my Nvidia set up to handle .mkv files with Dolby Vision, I will repeat the tests.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
  2. Cyclion

Cyclion New Member

That is really interesting! So the current problems with playing DV files may have something to do with a faulty function of the resolution switch...!? I will try to test this also with my equipment...

3. Random_Vibration

Please test and report back on your results.

4. DaMacFunkin

DaMacFunkin Active Member

The C6 can’t accept a 4K DV signal higher than 23.976hz, that is why it is synching at a lower resolution.

I have tested with resolution and refresh rate switching turned off, if you select 2160 output at 23hz manually it does the same thing it isn’t a resolution problem.

Ps the Zidoo is funny with cables, you should always test with the cable they supplied just to be sure, I have a very expensive optical HDMI cable that works fine with all my gear but I get a black screen with the Zidoo on DV playback, as such I use a Sandstrom Gold series cable with the Zidoo. I have also tried this cable:
    1M HDMI 2.1 Cable 48Gbps by True HQ™ | 8K Ultra High Speed PREMIUM Lead with Ethernet | 8K 60Hz 4K 120Hz UHD HDCP 2.2 eARC | Dolby Vision Dynamic HDR PS4 Xbox PC | Zinc Alloy & Gold https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07TYGCWLM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_SbYGFbDWDTZ9P

5. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Can someone upload the C6 EDID - curious to see the DV version of the VSDB - I've seen this behaviour too with certain V1 VSDBs with Standard DV only.

6. Cyclion

Cyclion New Member

Okay, that would explain that, of course! I have tested this with some files with my Z1000 Pro on my C9 and see no significant differences with or without resolution switch and still have the already known annoying problems with a stuttering picture, signal dropouts or complete crashes... I don't believe in a cable problem as I also always use very high quality and proven cables and have no problems with all other devices and high bitrate files or streams...

7. Random_Vibration

I am quite aware of this. Yet, none of this explains why it choose 1080p 24hz and not 2160p 24hz which the C6 does do. 2060p and 24hz is the native encoded movie on the disc and in the files.

The cable has been working with the X9s for years. It also works with the Sheild and Oppo UDP-203. It has nothing to do with the cable used. Some devices have problems with optical HDMI cables period so it's not the expense or capability of the cable. It's that's it optical. Problems with an optical HDMI cable doesn't prove anything beyond problems with an optical cable. You're not the first. You're not going to be the last either.

8. Markswift2003

If the C6 has a similar EDID to the E6 then it's because of the VSDB:

DV Version: 1, [long 15-byte version]
    DV DM Version: v3.x
    DV Interface: standard DV only
    2160p60: not supported

YUV422 12bit: not supported
    Global Dimming: not supported
    Backlight Control: not supported
    RED Primary: 0.676, 0.320
    GREEN Primary: 0.266, 0.660
    BLUE Primary: 0.137, 0.047
    MAX/MIN Luminance: 700 / 0.001 nits

I think it's to do with it being Version 1 and Standard DV only.

This EDID shows similar behaviour, particularly the crashing back to home screen.

9. Random_Vibration

I have my doubts considering other devices seem to send Dolby Vision at 2160p and 24hz to LG TVs without event.

10. Markswift2003

But those devices don't use VS10 to do it, and I think that's where a lot of people are getting confused over the abilities of the Z9X to handle DV and in particular, DV profiles.

In this respect I don't think Zidoo have really done themselves a favour in the way they've advertised Dolby Vision compatibility, but once you understand what VS10 does and how it works, it's a pretty awesome tool. Just needs a tweak or two.

11. Markswift2003

It'd be interesting to hear how a Vizio TV handles the Z9X with regards DV - contrary to say Sony or Panasonic, based on the Dolby VSDB, I wonder if you get similar behaviour.

12. DaMacFunkin

Hi Mark,

If HDR is set to auto Zidoo should send DV as native, VS10 shouldn’t come into it, in this setting the problem still exists.

13. DaMacFunkin

Hi, I own the Shield 2019 pro, I own the Opp0 203 as well, some cables that work fine with Dolby Vision and TrueHD Atmos on those devices have been proven by me not work with the high MHz output of Zidoo z9S in VS10 mode (total black screen and reboot needed) I don’t have to say anything else, seen it with my own eyes, to totally disregard trying the cable in box because you are convinced your cable isn’t the problem is wrong.
    Also the X9s doesn’t output at the same bandwidth as the Z9s.
    In troubleshooting you should be prepared to try anything and everything.

14. Markswift2003

VS10 is the entire Dolby engine - basically a chunk of code anything Dolby runs through regardless of whether any conversion is needed. When you see the option for VS10 in the HDR options that means "forced" VS10, so your EDID dictates what spits out regardless of content - SDR, HDR10 or DV.

What we don't know is what's happening to P7 streams which is obviously what most people refer to when talking about "Dolby Vision".

In HDR <Auto>, P4 (BL+EL+RPU) spits out the SDR base layer, P5 (BL+RPU) & P8 (BL+RPU) we assume pass through as is (assuming an LLDV EDID in the case of P5, but if it's Standard DV only, it gets converted to standard DV).

The question is what happens to P7 BL+EL+RPU (MEL). ISO and MP4 both just play the HDR10 base layer, it's only MKV that spits out DV or LLDV depending on EDID and my assumption is that's just a conversion of the HDR10 base layer in both instances rather than "passthrough".

Information is very sparse with regards the internal workings of VS10.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
  15. Koloss

Koloss Member

Hey,

1. I have the same black flicker Problem with my LG OLEB B7 (2017 Serie) TV.

2.I tested 20 MKV DV Files but 4 Files give me the DV Signal, the rest unfortunately only a HDR Signal.

I hope in future support all DV Files/Profiles.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
  16. kemcro

kemcro New Member

I have a Z1000 Pro connected to an LG CX in my primary viewing location and a 2016 Vizio P series in another room. If I can help with any testing let me know?

17. Markswift2003

It would be helpful if you could post your EDID here.

<Quick Settings\Other\About\Advanced Settings\System\Realtek Developer Options> "Save EDID on USB stick"

And if you could test the Zidoo with the Vizio and see if you get similar resycs to the LGs when playing 4K23 in Dolby Vision - select "Dolby Vision VS10" in <Quick Settings/Display/HDR>

Doesn't matter whether it's a DV file or just HDR10 as long as it's 23.976fps and 4K.

My gut feeling is that it'll be fine, but since the Vizios tend to have either v0 or v1 Dolby VSDB versions like the LGs it's worth a look.

Cheers!

18. kemcro

kemcro New Member

Hopefully, this is what you are looking for, the menus are a little different on the Z1K Pro?

I don't seem to get the resyncs on either display, I am playing back folder structure backups which default to HR10 unless I force DV by turning on VS10.

Attached Files:

19. Markswift2003

Sorry my fault - should have said connect direct to TV - one of those is a Denon receiver and the other is a device/HDMI board by Momentum Data Systems - a video processor maybe?

20. kemcro

kemcro New Member

No problem, the second device is a Monoproce HTP-1 processor. Here is the Vizio directly connected, let me know if you need the CX or anything else?

Attached Files:

Markswift2003 likes this.