LLDV or Regular DV? What's the Difference?

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Nicholas Hewitt, Apr 3, 2021.

1. Nicholas Hewitt

Nicholas Hewitt Active Member

Hey, I was just wondering What the difference was between Watching an mkv Dolby Vision rip, and an SDR 2160p rip with LLDV activated? Visually is there any difference? Also, What would a 2160p HDR10PLUS mp4 with a hidden 1080p Dolby Vision stream play on the Zidoo Z9X?

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

First off the SDR version loses dynamic range over an HDR grade although it very much depends on the grade and the display as to how that difference manifests - but you always lose data.

Going from SDR to Dolby Vision is a bigger step again - the VS10 engine handles chroma alignment a lot better than the Realtek engine so there is virtually no chroma banding, so you'll see the benefit of that with both SDR and DV content if you use LLDV for both however, Dolby Vision also includes dynamic metadata to adjust tone mapping of the HDR image depending on the scene, so again, depending on the display this makes a big difference.

Bottom line, yes, you will see a difference.

If you're talking about Dual Track, Dual Layer, then strangely that would depend how it was put together - it will either play the HDR10+ base layer or it will play the 1080p enhancement layer.

For MP4, Dolby Vision files must be Single Track, Dual Layer (similar to MKV) to output Dolby Vision.

3. Nicholas Hewitt

Ok So how would I make a compatible Dolby Vision MKV file from a m2ts file? I have mkvtoolnix so far.

4. ulna68

ulna68 Active Member

m2ts>tsMuxer>iso>MakeMKV>mkv

Markswift2003 likes this.
  5. Nicholas Hewitt

Seeing as I have a dolby vision compatible tv. VS10 engine does not work on my TV right? I tried it, and the image goes pink. So the only option I have is LLDV correct? Well that and Regular Dolby Vision.

6. Markswift2003

No - The VS10 engine is what drives DV and the options available are dependent on the capabilities of the TV.

Under what circumstances do you get a pink image?

7. Nicholas Hewitt

When I choose VS10 engine for anything I get a pink video. The only option I've tried that doesn't give me a pink screen is LLDV. Before the 1.15 update I used to be able to use one of the options, but I can't remember which one it was.

Edit: changing priority to LLDV gets rid of the pink screen, but I'm not sure what I'm getting.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
  8. Markswift2003

That's a bit odd - you'll get a pink screen when you play out Standard DV on a display that doesn't support it, but the EDID in the display should tell the Zidoo it only supports LLDV.

9. Nicholas Hewitt

I have the TCL 55R617-CA. If that helps.

10. Nicholas Hewitt

Any other ideas why I'm getting a pink screen? Maybe some setting or something?

11. Nicholas Hewitt

I get 2 dolby vision symbols at the same time. When selecting vs10 engine for sdr, hdr, and dolby vision content, with priority lldv. One is on the right side, then one from the vs10 on the left.

12. Markswift2003

The one on the right will be from the TV.

I do think the pink screen is because the TV doesn't support Player Led DV but if you want to capture your TV's EDID I can tell for sure..

Connect Zidoo directly to TV and do:

Quick Settings/Other/About/Advanced Settings/System/Realtek Developer Options/Save EDID on USB Stick

13. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Or just click on the "Save" button. It will nicely ask you where to safe it. ;)

Markswift2003 likes this.
  14. Markswift2003

Ah - haven't tried that yet...

15. Nicholas Hewitt

What save button?

16. Nicholas Hewitt

It's saving it somewhere I don't have access to.

17. Nicholas Hewitt

nvm I got it. 1 sec

18. Nicholas Hewitt

Here you go https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DUXV5Hg-_CdGOxfHjmGqtK1vTgK4iFJl/view?usp=sharing

19. Markswift2003

20. Nicholas Hewitt

Here you go

Attached Files: