Kodi 17 audio passthrough

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X9S' started by zxxcro, Jan 9, 2017.

1. zappa

zappa New Member

I apologize.

2. nikos_a

nikos_a Active Member

Do you mean it passes HD audio? Because the issue is not DD and DTS.

3. DaMacFunkin

DaMacFunkin Active Member

In his pictures DTS-HD is grey'ed out, so i would say no, kodi 17 will not work till Zidoo upgrade to android 7 or release ZDMC based on kodi 17.

4. zappa

zappa New Member

Optics does not support DTS -HD

5. zappa

zappa New Member

Smoothness The 4K possible? There is not a big frame twitching.

6. nikos_a

nikos_a Active Member

Actually, this looks like not selected, not grayed out. This is why I asked. Of course he is using optical so in any case no HD audio for him.

I will try and install Kodi 17 tomorrow and check my self. If someone is faster than me, please write your outcome.

7. zappa

zappa New Member

I spent 3hours on the setting. After Oppo 105 complex setup. Yes, all this is included with no long delay.

8. zone555

zone555 New Member

I installed Kodi 17 on my X8. The audio passthrough options are all there and can be enabled, but only stereo is sent to my AV receiver over HDMI. In the screenshot, the audio device is Audiotrack, and as mentioned already, I think only Android 7.0 will support this audio device natively.

So it looks like we are stuck with ZDMC until Android 7.0.. that's if the X9S will even get Android 7.0 o_O

Attached Files:

9. zappa

zappa New Member

Do as I will sound DD and DTS. HD audio on Optics is in principle not possible for HDMI only.

10. zappa

zappa New Member

Pay attention to my last picture. It must be so.

11. tosh123

tosh123 Member

As stated many times it hasn't to do with Android 6 or 7. Even on Android 6 passthrough could work, as long, as the proper Sound APIs where implemented.
    As long as Zidoo uses their own passthrough solution and not the prefered common one, as long you won't get sound, even with Android 8-9-10 whatever.

12. zone555

zone555 New Member

I was lead to believe Android 7 (API v24) was needed for IEC passthrough based on this thread: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=289735

But after reading the Kodi 17 release notes, it sounds like you're right, and AudioTrack v23 (Android 6) needs to be properly implemented:

Kodi 17.0 is now standards-compliant with Android’s official Audio API and requires Android 5.0 or higher as the minimum version. DTS-HD, DTS-X, Dolby TrueHD, and Dolby ATMOS passthrough are now supported on devices that implement AudioTrack v23 or higher. Devices with firmware that does not follow this standard will not support passthrough. Support for 4K video and output and improvements to refresh rate switching and HEVC, VC-1 / WMV 9, and VP9 playback on supported hardware are the icing on the cake.

Here's hoping Zidoo does this ;)

13. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

some implemented IEC in android 6, its not there by default. but considering the API state in zidoo's android 6 firmware. i think is better to just update to android 7, the faster the better.

14. nikos_a

nikos_a Active Member

I wrote my thoughts here

http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?thr...to-future-proof-your-devices.4151/#post-20487

If Zidoo want to differ from all the cheap Chinese boxes, they have to play by the book. I am sure that if this machine had Official Kodi 17 with passthrough or was netflix approved, it would get enormous fanbase out there. So it seems so far that they prefer to follow the cheap way with their own forks, rooting and stuff but with a market that has a new box every day, how they can differentiate? x9s is supposed to be their top machine, they could make it robust in terms of standards and have people buying it for Kodi 17, Netflix and other important apps that SELL.

15. zone555

zone555 New Member

Everyone in this thread wants the same thing, but we need to give Zidoo time to react, after all Kodi 17 was only released a few days ago. I don't think any Android box developer wants to fork their own Kodi to support HD audio, but given the restrictions at the time, this was the only solution. I firmly believe Kodi 17 will start a new generation of Android boxes which are more competitive / in-line with LibreELEC boxes. Have patience! :D

16. tosh123

tosh123 Member

There are two things:
    - RAW passthrough was official introduced with Android 6 and API level 23. KODI V17 for Android can use that proper (as seen on the shield)
    - IEC passthrough was released with Android 7 and KODI 17 can use that also

So Zidoo could do two ways:
    - implement API level 23 in the yet existing firmware - and we have proper passthrough on RAW
    - change the complete OS to Nougat and implementalso the proper API (for nougat level 24)

But maybe they do nougat with an proprietary sound API - so we must stay with their ZBMC instead generic KODI

17. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

well. i bet on nugat update. its by far the better option. Timeline i'd say 3-6 monts .

18. totizidoo

totizidoo Member

I do not work on my x9s the passtrought what should I do?

19. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

nothing you can do. zidoo need so implement the proper android API in the firmware first.

20. Clint74

Clint74 Member

Hello to everyone this is my first post here as I have a X9S now.

To get the best of all; Kodi 1.7 with 4K and HD audio passthrough why don't you install 1.7 and add an external player?

I'm trying to do this but didn't have much time so far....an actually need some advice!

I installed 1.7 and it works flawlessly, now I have to find the right player or use the zidoo player itself but I don't know what is its filename, can anyone help?

I tried the VLC but it doesn't support HD audio and though I got kodi to switch to the player and the player to start the movie itself won't start.

To use an external player i followed this: http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Use_external_players_on_Android

It should be the same thing that zidoo does with the Jarvis version it switches to an external player or is it not, I've been reading about a wrapper but don't know what that is exactly?

Am I missing something here? Probably!

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!