Kodi 17 audio passthrough

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X9S' started by zxxcro, Jan 9, 2017.

1. zxxcro

zxxcro New Member

Hi Everyone!

i went through 8 pages of forum and nobody seem to ask this question so i will ask it:

when will the ZBMC be based on kodi 17 instead of "old" kodi?

i tried installing kody 17 myself but i cannot enable passthrough audio to send all dolby/dtshd/etc to my Denon avreceiver. the option is greyed-out...

2. zxxcro

zxxcro New Member

i mean the "audio output device" option is greyed out i cannot chose "android, RAW Passthrough" like i can in zbmc
    the only option in kodi 17, which is not a beta anymore, is "android, audiotrack"
    i am using firmware 1.2.7

3. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

when stable comes out. The only thing zidoo ads to kodi is passtrough.. so yah. if you want passtrough. stick with 16.1 .

4. zxxcro

zxxcro New Member

oook... but stable did come out: https://kodi.tv/kodi-v17-krypton-release-candidate-1/

anyway i love kodi 17 so much, i could never go back to 16 :) for now i put my zidoo x9s on the shelf waiting...and using my nvidia shield in the meantime

those 3d movies will have to wait for now...

5. Theeraphon

Theeraphon Member

I think "Release candidate" would not be considered as "STABLE".

6. spring

spring Guest

Hi
    the kodi17 have not add the "android passthrough" project on it.
    we would not change this the kodi17 for x9s at now until the kodi17 add the "android passthrough" project.

7. jinfu

jinfu Member

Improved audio support

As you may have read several times is that the Android part of Kodi is currently low on development. It’s the platform with the largest user base but somehow there don’t seem to be a lot of developers around that can work on Kodi for that platform. Since Kodi isn’t the standard JAVA app like the million other out there working on it is certainly a challenge. One of the improvements we did manage to get added is what most of you have been waiting for and that is HD audio passthrough capabilities. Although we had a proof of concept for v16 it wasn’t in a state where the team was comfortable adding it that late in release cycle. However for v17 we can now tell you that passthrough for DTS, DTS-HD, DTS-X, Dolby TrueHD and Dolby ATMOS should all be working if your device and attached TV/AVR supports this. During the past months however we did find some limitations in the way Google had implemented audio passthrough. After contacting Google and explaining the problems we worked together towards a good alternative which was adding IEC61937 as passthrough option. This standard is something we already used on other platforms like Windows, Linux, OSX and iOS and has proven to be exactly what was needed for good audio support. As such we are happy to say that starting with Android Nougat we will fully use this standard. Devices running Lollipop or Marshmallow will use the older standard method.

8. tosh123

tosh123 Member

Kodi V17 have already added (official) Android Passthrough API Level 23 (RAW), you can proof this for example with a nvidia shield, - If the X9S can't do passthrough with standard Android KODI the Firmware of the X9s is simply broken.
    The Passthrough part was coded by "fritsch" and digging out errors from logfiles.
    With Nougat google had also added IEC Passthrough like Jinfu has mentioned

9. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

yah. kodi 17 sure is an upgrade. i don't use 16/zdmc anymore. but i dont need passtrough.

cyber7 likes this.
  10. zxxcro

zxxcro New Member

Guys thank you for the answers!
    Really, its not very often that i get such a good answers from people on forums, so i cannot thank you enough for the detailed answers, specially "jinfu"!
    i really hope this post can help others who are searching for an explanation about this!
    @tosh123: yes i can confirm kodi 17 works wonderful on my nvidia shield, since the first beta who went on google play months ago! All i did was opt in beta programm on google play and install it from there and it worked! no custom modifications or anything like that!
    Everything simply works: DTSMASTER passthrough , even the ATMOS, all of it works!
    @Theeraphon i think RC is as close to stable as you can get...technically is not a beta anymore because no new source code can be added, unless it fixes MAJOR bugs so...depends how you look at it!
    So i guess something tricky has to be there deep into the software that zidoo didnt add yet!

i'll just say it out loud, and i am sure a lot of people are thinking it: kodi 17 is a major improvement over 16 in design, usability, user friendlyness, intuitive menus, ease of use, speed....EVERYTHING! in my view its the best media database out there right now!

11. cyber7

cyber7 Active Member Beta test group

Ditto! Kodi 17 (I currently use RC1) is the bomb! It is fast, never stutters and have very little problems.

12. jinfu

jinfu Member

Can DTS and dts hd dts es?

13. saji

saji New Member

it will be best if Zidoo releases updates to ZDMC based on Kodi 17

not sure if they are working on it already ?

14. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

well. if kodi 17 passtrough can work as intended,in theory, there should be no need for zdmc anymore ( not sure how much work did zidoo put in kodi for the 3D part )

15. nikos_a

nikos_a Active Member

Well, to work properly, the f/w should support some standards. If the firmware is not good, then passthrough will not work. Zidoo have to be careful to implement the standards (if possible because the f/w for some boxes are heavily modified against the standards).

Zidoo should keep an eye on this topic

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=289735

and try and play by the book. I would prefer the official Kodi than any other fork. It would also allow Zidoo to focus on their h/w and their own player and not needing to maintain one more program (ZDMC).

zone555 and HaoSs like this.
  16. zone555

zone555 New Member

+1

Well said Nikos!

17. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

well. this also depends on RTK, not only zidoo. AMLogic worked with minix to implement the proper api's, we can only hop RTK-zidoo relationship is good

18. nikos_a

nikos_a Active Member

Kodi 17 FINAL is released today 2/2/17. Just downloaded it for my PC and is also available in play store for android.

19. zappa

zappa New Member

Working DD and DTS. KODI 17

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  20. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

English my friend. English!