jittery recordings

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X9' started by Kurt, Dec 8, 2015.

1. Kurt

Kurt Member

I have tried TS and mp4.
    I have tried VGA HD and FHD
    I have tried recording on various devices (7200rpm HDD, Thumb drive)

All recordings jitter with choppy playback.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks

2. papiguy

papiguy Member

What is the version of the firmware on your zidoo ?

3. Kurt

Kurt Member

sorry I was reading the wrong info.
    v. 1.0.4.1 is what it reads in the 'about>software version'

4. Sarco

Sarco Active Member Beta test group

For me the best place to record is my NAS. But you need to open the file explorer to the NAS to have the choice in recorder. I have v 1.0.4.1.

5. Kurt

Kurt Member

I only have USB HDD's (actually they are esata with a USB connector)
    Thanks,

6. papiguy

papiguy Member

I tried several times to record on my NAS (Synology DS1813) but having the same problem I left this solution. The performance of my wired network is poor due to long distances (to avoid noise the NAS is in another room) and a lot of switches and other devices.
    To avoid jittering, it is necessary to have fast recording devices. For me, the best results are obtained using either a micro sdcard (fast speed recording) into a USB3 adaptator, or a ssd USB3 drive.
    However, improvements remain to be made on the recorder app to avoid buffering problems.

7. Kurt

Kurt Member

I have not used a network HDD yet but I may go that route.
    I bought a pavo M9 to go along with the zidoo x9 because not being able to watch another file while recording makes the zidoo x9 pretty much useless to me.
    So if the M9 records OK (it is basically the same box as the X9 but with 1/2 the memory.. geekbuying had them for $40), I may then try a network drive so both boxes can see the same HDD.. Ill see once the box comes in.
    But anyway, this X9 should be able to record without any jittering but I cant find a solution to it.
    About every 2-3 seconds I get jitter, no matter the recording format or the recording HDD (7200 rpm should be fast enough, I use them all the time when editing video)

thanks
    kurt

8. Sarco

If you play your files in kodi there will be jittering, if you play your file in native player it will jitter for few second at start then stop. Since it is record at 60 fps if you play in 1080p 24 fps there will be jitter, in 1080p 60 fps and 720p 60 fps no jitter. In native player any resolution will not jitter more then few second at start. I use tsmuxer to repack the file since there a second sound track ac3. I remove that track and it help for jitter and enable editing or transcode file. When I repack the file I make sure I had take note of time delay (txmuxer show that value when file open) for further use) Repack take few minutes.

Edit: record are 30 fps not 60 fps sorry if misleading.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
  9. Kurt

Kurt Member

Thanks for the tip, Ill give it a try.
    I think I did try playing in the native player but Ill double check..

10. kakuzawa

kakuzawa New Member

There is something wrong with files recorded by zidoo. It played fine on pc but only in vlc, but any player on zidoo does not play it smoothly... Ts file seems not quite ok... Sarco can you provide a tutorial how to fix these files with repacking? My x9 has 1.0.41 software.

11. Sarco

First download txmuxer. google txmuxer download, it is a well known software.
    Unzip the file and put folder where you want. Tsmuxer doesn't need to be install, personaly I put the folder in program file and create a shortcut for txmuxergui on desktop. Start the gui then drag your video file in windows.
    If you want to only repack do not change anything, check at bottom for output setting.
    Ts muxing will repack the file, in file name choose the name you want and where you want to save it. When done the file is correctly format in ts and it run more smootly.

12. kakuzawa

kakuzawa New Member

It's not working. Tried this on osx, the file can be previewed by quicklook afterwards but there are still problems with audio.

13. Sarco

I do not use osx, and I do not use ts file. I only have mkv in my librairie because ts or mp4 are always playing bad in any of my tvbox or computer. When I repack I can after quickly make mkv with mkvtoolnix, but they are at 30 fps. If I want to change to 24 fps I use handbrake to reencode. If your file is bad from bad encode no matter the way you repack it will stay bad. If your file not playing smooth in native player there something wrong. Again I use my NAS because I found that was the best result for smoothness and other media always has some jitter.

14. kakuzawa

kakuzawa New Member

Overall, the recording is far from perfect, I tried recording on sandisk extreme and it also has problems with smooth playback (and this is fast usb 3.0 device). I do not have NAS and since I wanted to give zidoo to parents the NAS solution is not that great. Maybe other firmwares are not so heavily affected as 1.0.41? As this software is not easily downloadable do you have a way to create backup and do the downgrade? So I would have a way to get back to it if older f/w would behave worse than the current one?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
  15. Kurt

Kurt Member

I have not had the time yet, but I will soon look at a recording on my editing system. I am a video editor for 20 years and I will inspect a recorded file to see if the problem is in the record, or the playback.
    Either way, there is a problem here, the recording should work on a USB device, or possibly even on the internal card.
    My HDD's are 7200 RPM, this is fast enough to do a FHD recording.
    Even the other 2 lower recording options have this same stutter.
    To me it looks like the recording is dropping frames, probably caused by a buffer problem, but I am not sure yet.
    I will try to look at a recording later on today. MP4 seems better than TS (on my box anyway) so that is what I will look at.

16. Sarco

To downgrade you will have to use the mstar.bin method because ota will no permit you to downgrade. Find the mstar.bin file on forum, then copy mstar.bin on usb thumb with fat file system, unplug your device an turn the switch off, insert the thumb in one of the two usb 2, plug the device and while pushing the reset button (small hole back) switch it on and wait a little. You should see "copy" on front panel and on screen. Then you will be able to download various old firmware, for me 1.0.3.9 is the best. Good luck and be carefull with the mstar.bin method, never stop the process even if it take time be very patient... never stop the process!
    P.S: It is not possible to return to 1.0.4.1 since the last official firmware is 1.0.3.9.

17. kakuzawa

kakuzawa New Member

Thanks Sarco for your input. What do you think about 1.0.3.9, is it any better than 41 in terms of recording? Also, what changes have you noticed between these 2 versions?

18. Sarco

I am not sure, I will unbox my old x9 today, but I think v1.0.4.1 does not allow me to record hdcp from my cable box like v1.0.3.9. In v1.0.3.9 I could record playing dolby stuff. In v1.0.4.1 I have to change input to stereo (acheived with my HDMI switch). I have to check this maybe this afternoon.

19. Kurt

Kurt Member

Here are the stats of a recorded mp4 FHD
    Take note of the frame rate of progressive 25fps, yet the maximum rate is only 15fps.
    Double checking this, Playing back the fine in QT Pro tells me it is playing a file that is a frame rate of 25.56
    However the video appears to be actually 15fps by looking at the playback.
    I can not figure out how to make a upload on here to show you a sample of the video.
    If anyone knows how to, let me know and I will upload.

For a FHD file, the data rate and Frames per second are very low.
    Especially if the 15fps max holds true.

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : Main@L4.0
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames : 1 frame
    Format settings, GOP : M=1, N=30
    Codec ID : avc1
    Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
    Duration : 5mn 36s
    Source duration : 5mn 36s
    Bit rate : 4 366 Kbps
    Width : 1 920 pixels
    Height : 1 080 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate mode : Variable
    Frame rate : 25.564 fps
    Minimum frame rate : 9.581 fps
    Maximum frame rate : 15 000.000 fps
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.082
    Stream size : 175 MiB (98%)
    Source stream size : 175 MiB (98%)
    Title : VideoHandle
    Language : English
    Encoded date : UTC 2015-12-13 14:13:51
    Tagged date : UTC 2015-12-13 14:13:51
    mdhd_Duration : 336862

Audio
    ID : 2
    Format : AAC
    Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
    Format profile : LC
    Codec ID : 40
    Duration : 5mn 37s
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 96.0 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L R
    Sampling rate : 44.1 KHz
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Stream size : 3.85 MiB (2%)
    Title : SoundHandle
    Language : English
    Encoded date : UTC 2015-12-13 14:13:51

20. Kurt

Kurt Member

Here is a sample of the recording.
    Note the ticker at the bottom of the video, here you can clearly see the jittering.
    Your video will be live at: