Issue with all recordings over 1 hour

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X9' started by WarTV, Jul 31, 2016.

1. WarTV

WarTV Member

If you tell the box to record something over 1 hour. Lets say 1 hour and 10 minutes. It records for roughly 1 hour then puts the last 10 minutes on another file. 2 things always happen when you do this.

1. It just keep recording and recording until you tell it to stop. So it records for like 3 hours because it took you that long to notice this.
    2. There is always a space of time (at least a few seconds) between the end of the first file and the beginning of the 2nd file. So whatever was in between was never recorded.

Would it be possible to change this so that it starts recording on the 2nd file a few seconds early so they overlap rather than not recording that space of time at all, or would it be possible to tell it in some way that it can record single files larger than 2GB or longer than 1 hour?

2. azidahaka

azidahaka Member

Your issue is very strange i use it to record all the time and there's no gap in the 2 recordings after i join them on pc...

3. Paul Collins

Paul Collins Member

Yo must be a fat32 formatted storage.

Try using ntfs formatted storage off the Usb3.0 . FAT32 does truncate.

Also do not use an external microsd, it will truncate regardless of the formatting. Same applies to internal sd(no choice on formatting though)

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  4. WarTV

WarTV Member

For it to be cutting it off at 2GB it has to be software doing it. I will take a recording of an online clock so I can see exactly how many seconds it is cutting off. Also Paul are you using yeahmans app? I am using the default app that the box came with.

5. Paul Collins

Paul Collins Member

Dude, simple question, what are you using as a data storage resource , and what file system are you using

6. WarTV

WarTV Member

I did the recording of the online clock. It definitely misses 3 to 4 seconds. As to your questions Paul Collins. It is a Western Digital My Passport 1TB. According to windows it is using some kind of unknown file format. But it does show the full 1TB even though the Zidoo box only sees 417GB. I did have the box format the drive before using it. So it is whatever the box formats it to. Although I can't confirm it the drive inside is most likely a 5400RPM drive. Here is the model # WDBBEP0010BBK-01. The USB on it is capable of USB 3.0 and the drive was connected and will be reconnected to the USB 3.0 blue port on the box.

7. WarTV

WarTV Member

My memory may be incorrect in that it let me format it. I think it does give you the option if you plug in something that is either not formatted or is not a recognizable format. I know that previously it was connected to Vulkano (a sling box knockoff that also has a recording feature) and was using Ext2 or Ext3 which is a file format you usually see with Linux or Unix systems.

8. Paul Collins

Paul Collins Member

Allright in terms of the lost space, make sure there is not more than 1 partition on the disk, also make sure all the drive is allocated and 0 is unallocated. I dont think its a particulary good idea to record to a full tb disk anyway. Just letting you know where your disk space is going.

Anyway the most important issue , is making sure your drive is ntfs.

Plug it into your computer , in file explorer , right click on the drive letter and choose properties. It should give you the % disk used, the disk size and the disk file system, make sure it says ntfs..

Finally id suggest partitioning (first paragraph was letting you know where lost diskspace could be going) your disk into 2 seperate partitions , say the first partition at 250gb and the second the remainder). Use the smaller partition for your zidoo.

The above relates to windows , I know nothing about navigation on mac or linux

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  9. WarTV

WarTV Member

Ok, I will make it NTFS sometime later today. Have to clean rabbit cages.

10. WarTV

WarTV Member

I formatted the drive to NTFS. Now it sees the whole drive, like 951GB. The issue still persists though. There is 3 to 4 seconds between the end of one file and the start of a new one

11. azidahaka

azidahaka Member

I think you should go fat32 for the recording partition... I use that on a 3.0 usb stick and it's ok.

A bit confused about your issues

12. WarTV

WarTV Member

Ok, I will try to explain it differently you have 3 parts A, B, C. A represents the first file. B represents the time between the A and C. C represents the 2nd file. Your recording is long enough or big enough that it is split it up into different files A and C. However, whenever this happens during a recording some time between finishing file A and starting the recording for file C it waits a few seconds to start the recording of file C. The few seconds between it ending of file A and starting file C is B. B is never recorded. Basically if you were to play what was recorded (Files A and C) there would be a time between the two that was not recorded. I made sure that I was correct in this by recording an online clock and watching what the time said at the end of File A vs the beginning of File C. You would think there might be one second. In my case it is 3 to 4 seconds.

13. WarTV

WarTV Member

I deleted my previous test run. I will get some screenshots from VLC to show you what I am talking about after I make some new files.

14. WarTV

WarTV Member

Here are the screenshots. As you can see there are 3 to 4 missing seconds of video from the last frame of the first file to first frame of the second file.

Attached Files:

• 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      179.7 KB
      Views:
    • 2.png
      2.png
      File size:
      174.2 KB
      Views:
  15. Paul Collins

Paul Collins Member

Huh? Are you sure you are choosing to write to your usb3.0 and not using the default , which possibly is your internal SD?

16. WarTV

WarTV Member

Not using the SD using USB 3.0. The drive is 1TB Western Digital My Passport 5400 RPM drive Model # WDBBEP0010BBK-01.

17. Paul Collins

Paul Collins Member

How very odd...

Ntfs , should be able to create big files over 4gb. The reason Fat32 truncates is that there is a file size limit on the file system.

Im kicking off a record on my NTFS usb3.0 storage.

Failing that you probably will have to reflash your box and then upgrade the firmware to .39 , stay away from .42.

Can you confirm your firmware?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  18. Paul Collins

Paul Collins Member

See above

19. Paul Collins

Paul Collins Member

Over 5gb recorded no joining of multiple files , 1.40 hr of high quality recording in a single file, just stopped it now , cant help you beyond that , look carefully at what your doing , reflash the box as per the instructions above,

20. WarTV

WarTV Member

Took some digging but found links for .3.9. Will try to update it tonight to see if it makes a difference.