Howto: Downgrading/reverting the FW level

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A6' started by Nice Monkey, Jun 12, 2024.

1. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

This action is not foreseen by the Eversolo policy for unknown reasons to me. Using FW of many other Android based media players doing so hardly ever created problems as a negative side-effect. One can always next do a factory reset on the downgraded FW.

Fortunately @Remik shared us an Android developers method to bypass this limitation. All thanks' go to him

Doing it using the build-in Eversolo update procedure:
    Main Menu => Settings => About => FW revision => Revision 1.2.96 (press 7x)
    or
    Main Menu => APPs => Update => FW revision => Revision 1.2.96 (press 7x)

FW downgrading.jpg
    Picture to be replaced by English version.

You really need to press the current "FW revision" 7x to enter Android developers mode!
    Now you can follow the standard USB update procedure also with older/previous FW levels. This results in a downgrade.

Notes:
    - The process requires the Android "USB Debugging" feature, fortunately this is set to ON by default already. No additional actions required for it.
    - For convenience one can also use the Eversolo APP in "Cast" mode and do the actions via that interface. Used that way myself and proved to work well.

Alternative way by installing the "Settings Shortcut apk":
    Install the Settings Shortcut apk first if not already done to enable e.g. Bluetooth audio output. Opening this APP , you see a stripped down android settings list, the last item is the About section. Tapping on this and moving down to the bottom you see the final entry called Build Number. If you tap 7x on this area, then a message briefly pops up saying you are now a developer.
    For the curious: If you now use the search facility in this app and type "developer", you will get the whole list of developer mode settings, this including the one about USB Debugging. It confirms it is turned ON by default.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 16, 2024
  2. Jjb067

Jjb067 Active Member

Just to clarify, when you say Setup you really mean Settings ? You also get to the same end screen by going Apps then Update. Should I expect to see any text like developer mode after the 7x pressing ? You also don't mention the Settings Shortcut apk, so you don't need this installed at all to do the firmware reversion ?

3. Inti

Inti Active Member

Yes it will show develop mode quickly in small text

4. Nice Monkey

Updated the text with all comments and questions.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2024
  5. Jjb067

Jjb067 Active Member

Just one last point, you mention Scan mode for Eversolo App, what exactly is this ?

6. Nice Monkey

Corrected! Meant Cast. Thanks'

Last edited: Jun 13, 2024
  7. Jjb067

Jjb067 Active Member

I have tried this tap 7x on the firmware version number but as suggested by others I see no text briefly saying developer mode or the like. Having previously installed the Settings Shortcut apk in order to achieve bluetooth output from my A6, I thought I would explore there instead. If you open this app, you see a stripped down android settings list, the last item is tha About section. Tapping on this and moving down to the bottom you see the final entry called Build Number. If you tap 7x on this area, then a message briefly pops up saying you are now a developer. If you now use the search facility in this app and type in say "developer", you see the whole list of developer mode settings including that one about USB Debugging, which is indeed turned ON. This is just how you enter developer mode on an android phone or tablet. I assume from what other people have said, that being in developer mode would now allow me to revert to an earlier firmware version, I have not tried this as I am happy with the latest one. So an alternative way to get into developer mode for general info.

Nice Monkey likes this.
  8. Remik

Remik Active Member

everything is correct, as you wrote, you can do it this way.

Nice Monkey and Jjb067 like this.
  9. Nice Monkey

I did not see the message myself tapping on the frontpanel but yes doing it in Scan mode using the Eversilo APP.
    Maybe it is a notification pop-up (which Eversolo does not support).

Added also the alternative Settings Shortcut apk approach to my initial post.
    Thanks'

Last edited: Jun 14, 2024
  10. Remik

Remik Active Member

you should click on the build number in eversolo and not in the eversolo application, then the notification will appear

11. Nice Monkey

It worked for me. Cast mode is a full clone of the front panel and all actions work also from there. Never found any difference just that it is much more convenient.
    Once more thanks' for sharing this method from your Android knowhow.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2024
  12. Well, I need some help here. I am in developer mode now (checked with the Settings Shortcuts app) but cannot downgrade the firmware. When I try to upload the zip file via usb It says the upgrade package is lower than the installed one. Am I doing something wrong?

13. Nice Monkey

You got the message after pressing 7x and tried immediately then?

14. I think the problem was that I did the tapping using the Settings Shortcuts apk. That doesn’t work even if you can see you are a developer (with that app) and go into the developer settings etc.

I did a factory reset first, then started to tap the firmware version several times (much more than 7!) and at some point I had the message ‘you don’t need it, you’re already a developer’. Haven’t seen the message after the 7x or whatever the number, I think that is a bit tricky, the display of the message once you’re developer.

Anyway, it’s working now… o_O

Last edited: Jul 14, 2024
  15. Jjb067

Jjb067 Active Member

So is being in developer mode sufficient in itself to allow firmware reversion ?

16. Yes, that’s all

Jjb067 likes this.
  17. Alan Rutlidge

Alan Rutlidge Well-Known Member

I tried tapping seven times on the Version number as shown in the original post and nothing happened. o_O Am I missing something in the translation or is there something else I have to do / install?

18. Nice Monkey

I did it using my phone using scan. Just worked. It may be briefly showing. When done twice it says "you are already in developer mode".
    I don't know about speed and duration of each press if that matters?

Alan Rutlidge likes this.
  19. I did it using Cast mode with my iPad. I tried several times, different speed, duration of the tapping… it worked at some point.

Alan Rutlidge likes this.