Help!! Z1000 Pro can't see the NAS on SMB

Discussion in 'General - Guides and FAQ' started by RayChong, Mar 6, 2021.

1. RayChong

RayChong New Member

Hi All,

Hope someone can help, very much appreciated.

I have been accessing files on my NAS with Z1000 Pro via SMB network. Last night after an Internet outage (from the service provider side), the Z1000 Pro can't see the NAS again.

Here are some info about the situation:
    - I have reboot my router during the outage when I was not sure the outage was from the service provider
    - the NAS is certainly on, all my other devices such as PC and iPhone can access
    - the Z1000 Pro can access my Windows PC via SMB
    - doing a Rescan SMB on the Z1000 Pro, both the name and ip address of the NAS do not show up
    - tried to add the server using the name and the IP, both received message "Unable to connect to the server"

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
  2. McBluna

McBluna Well-Known Member

Hello RayChong,
    Did you try to restart your NAS?

3. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Sounds like a DHCP problem - if the NAS isn't on a fixed IP address then it could have been assigned a new IP address by DHCP depending on how the router allocated addresses when it rebooted and the Zidoo could be getting confused over the old one.

It's always good practice to assign static IPs to all devices on a LAN and only use DHCP for transient devices - phones, tablets etc.

4. RayChong

RayChong New Member

Hi McBluna,

Yes, I did. I restart everything.:(

5. RayChong

RayChong New Member

My NAS is on static IP. I even tried changing to a different IP and restated everything. It still doesn't show up.

Weird thing is when I use the "Quick Scan" option, IP of almost all devices connected to my network come up but not for the NAS one. Feeling so sad......

6. RayChong

RayChong New Member

Oh, I am so sorry that I forgot to say THANK YOU for you guys help. Guess I am too upset. LOL

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
  7. RayChong

RayChong New Member

I got a workaround although still don't know the reason for the problem.

I connected the Ethernet to a different LAN port of the NAS (my Synology has 4), give it another static IP, my Z1000 PRO can see the NAS again. Thank God!!!

8. Markswift2003

Could be the power outage took out the LAN card for the first port.

9. RayChong

RayChong New Member

Nah, everything else works well. I am guessing something wrong with the SMB service. Thanks for you suggestion.

10. Conny Olsson

Conny Olsson New Member

Hello, I have the same problem. I have three NAS and two of them show up. One of them appears twice when scanning SMB. And the third doesnt show up at all.
    All of them runs on DHCP.
    Can someone help me?

11. Markswift2003

Even though the NAS drives are on DHCP I would still check for IP conflicts.

But more likely - check the network names of the NAS drives are all different.

12. Conny Olsson

Conny Olsson New Member

The names are different but I can try change the name. Static IP-adress didnt work.

13. Conny Olsson

Conny Olsson New Member

Changing the name didnt work either. :(

14. Conny Olsson

Conny Olsson New Member

If I do a Quick scan the ip-adress for the NAS shows up. It must be something with Zidoos SMB-service.

15. Markswift2003

Always do a full scan - I have over 100 clients on my network and it takes seconds to do a full scan.