Help! X9S cannot get 4K, 10bit HDR to work.

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X9S' started by John7, Jun 24, 2020.

Tags:
  1. John7

John7 New Member

Hello fellow Zidoo brothers and sisters. I'm hoping someone can give me some advice/suggestions what to try next with my issue. I'm out of options and tearing my few remaining hairs out!

First, my system
    LG B7 OLED TV
    Zidoo X9s
    QNAP 4-bay Nas
    Pioneer SC-LX701 AV receiver
    Sony X800 BR player

All sources go into HDCP 2.2 inputs of receiver.

Here's the problem.....I cannot get the X9s to switch to 10 or 12 bit HDR when streaming my 4K movies from my NAS. I have tried every setting available in the menu and no matter what I change, it will only output 8 bit, which causes horrible banding with certain scenes. 1080P works fine with 10 bit.

The BR player outputs 10 bit fine through the receiver.
    The X9S switches to 10 bit with direct connection to TV.

I've updated the X9s to the latest firmware, issue persists
    The Pioneer has the latest firmware, as does the TV
    I've tried different HDMI cable(s) and connected the X9s to the same input as the BR player.

I never noticed this before but a few weeks ago I updated the FW of the receiver and I'm not sure if the problem was there before or after the update? I can't seem to find a way of reverting the Pioneer's firmware to try it.

I'm out of ideas now and don't know what I can do-I can't live with 8 Bit HDR!

I'm tempted to buy a Z9s but not sure this will be a solution as the X9s does output 10 bit with direct connection to TV but then I lose ATMOS

Any tips/suggestions gratefully received!

UPDATE! After reviewing the Pioneer receiver firmware change logs, it seems there is a hidden menu item (press (hold) dimmer button then press auto/direct button to change the active input HDMI format from Standard to Enhanced. Standard only allows 8 Bit, enhanced gives 10/12 bit.

It had been set to Standard in firmware update. Changed to enhanced and now it's sorted, 10/12 bit playback now possible with x9s!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020