HDR10+ black screen issues with Z9X

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by HDGuy, Dec 10, 2021.

1. HDGuy

HDGuy Active Member

Vizio PQX85-H1, Denon AVR-S760H receiver and Z9X.

Currently HDR10+ content for me is unwatchable- every minute (or less) the screen will go to black (tv sees no input at all) or I will just get a black screen on my Vizio that says HDR10+ in the info box. It’s not the receiver because I tried other sources with HDR10+ output (Fire Stick 4k, 4k Blu-Ray) and it works just fine, no black/blank screens. I don’t have this issue (much) with any other content, including HDR or Dolby Vision on the Z9X. Although I do have an occasional “blank” screen.

Anyone else with this issue? I tried swapping out cables multiple times and it made no difference, I’m wondering if the Z9X is having issues with the receiver, as it is a new model.

Edit- plugged directly into my TV, works fine, so apparently the Z9X is having issues with my receiver.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2021
  2. Visconti12

Visconti12 Active Member

Are you using same HDMI cable to TV than AVR?

3. pcristi

pcristi Active Member

Check if AVR doing any type on HDMI conversion on HDMI output then disactivated or try set resolution force to 2160/23 on Zidoo maybe helps.

4. HDGuy

HDGuy Active Member

Yes.

Also, no upconversion done by receiver.

5. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Can you send me your EDID with the Zidoo connected to the Denon connected to the TV.

I'll then remove the HDR10+ bit in the EDID, the Zidoo will send HDR10 only for HDR10+ files and we can see whether the issue is related to the metadata.

6. HDGuy

HDGuy Active Member

Ok, I’ll do that in a bit.

As I said, most of the issues I’m having is with HDR10+ content but I’m still having an occasional screen “blank” with other content (including even 1080p). Definitely not an issue with cable and none of my other devices exhibit this problem connected to my receiver (Shield Pro 2019, Fire TV 4k stick, Panasonic 4k bluray).

7. Markswift2003

I guess it's not beyond the realms of possibility that you have a faulty device - I have two Denon receivers, both with Z9Xs connected and have never seen this.

If it happens with 1080p material it's definitely not a bandwidth issue.

Certainly HDR10+ doesn't have a bandwidth premium and I can't see why it would be handled any differently to anything else by the receiver unless you have some processing turned on for that input.

8. HDGuy

HDGuy Active Member

Figured it out-

In the Denon's HDMI settings I changed the Z9X input from 8k Enhanced to just Enhanced.

9. Markswift2003

Excellent - good to know about that !!!

Always learning...

No need for the EDID now :)

10. HDGuy

HDGuy Active Member

Probably my HDMI cable was inadequate for 8k, although it shouldn't have mattered because I was outputting a native 4k signal.

Funny because the receiver says the TV supports HDMI 2.1 4k/120Hz. I guess you have to turn on/off 8k enhanced (also applies to 4k/120Hz) manually for each input.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2021
  11. Markswift2003

Doesn't really make sense does it? - the black screens are presumably the receiver losing HDMI sync and the EDID takes care of what modes the Z9X can provide to the TV and of course it doesn't even know about 8K, so there should be no reason for the receiver to lose sync...

The more HDMI advances the more complicated it gets mixing and matching different equipment - At least there's a solution, it's just not an obvious one.

12. HDGuy

HDGuy Active Member

After discovering this I was finally able to get 4k/60Hz VRR working with my 2080Ti. Again, shouldn’t have mattered because it was 60Hz, but after turning on 8k Enhanced for my PC’s input it worked. On just “Enhanced” my PC allowed me to turn Gsync on but it was giving me a double image on the Vizio.

13. Visconti12

Visconti12 Active Member

I've got similar issues with HDMI cables 4K-8K for more than 10m long and solved when I upgraded it. Absolutely surprised to found such important topic!!