Hard drive isn't being recognised

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by autocrat, Apr 14, 2022.

1. autocrat

autocrat New Member

Hi All,

I have a new UHD3000. I had a 1TB WD Caviar Green hard drive hanging around. It hasn't been used for a while but I don't think there's anything wrong with it. Stuck it in the drive bay becuase I wanted to test a few things out (best formats for movies etc), but the system doesn't seem to realise it's there. It doesn't appear in file manager - I expected it to be there with a format option.

Is there anything I need to do to the drive in order for the unit to recognise it? Otherwise I'll have to check whether there's something wrong with the hard drive (or the Zidoo!), and that means mucking about with other boxes etc which I'd prefer not to do.

Thanks

Edit: drive seems fine in another system (Truenas, it spun up and I was able to wipe it so it's empty). It isn't recognised in either drive bay on the UHD3000 - my understanding is it should appear in the file manager as "unknown" and give me a format option.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2022
  2. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Remove all partitions including any hidden and next re-format it with GPT+NTFS while SATA attached to a W10+ PC.

Had WD Green edition HDD's in all sizes. All replaced by now.

3. autocrat

autocrat New Member

Thanks for your help. In the end the Wipe did work, I just couldn't see it from the zidoo app (duh!).

No Windows PCs other than laptops here, but all good now.