H6 Pro AC3/DTS Passthrough Fail

Discussion in 'ZIDOO H6 Pro' started by Daryl1989, Jul 26, 2018.

1. Daryl1989

Daryl1989 New Member

Zidoo H6 Pro
    Firmware version 1.0.13
    Android version 7.0, security patch November 5, 2016
    Kernel 3.10.65

Bought this box expressly because it was reviewed and stated to support AC3 & DTS pass-through via SPIDF. In practice I can't get anything better than 5.1 Dolby Prologic audio, which was great 20 years ago.

I have tried every configuration and can't get better than 5.1 Dolby Prologic. Yes, this includes selecting pass-through in both the Android menu and the boxes native menu.

My old WDTV was easier and more reliable!

I also have no audio output at all when using VLC. Only audio is with the factory installed Media Center.

Does anyone, including Zidoo, have a solution? At the end of the day I simply want an Android box with great video and AUDIO output.

2. rread13

rread13 New Member

Are you using Kodi? Same for me. I have only had my surround receiver get DD or DTS from movies streamed with Kodi and all the settings properly set. Terrarium plays great but none of the playback apps have done anything but 2-channel so just doing Prologic also. Same with Netflix, I found a HD apk modded but just 2-channel audio for all played back content.

Rick

3. Daryl1989

Daryl1989 New Member

I don't use Kodi.

Are you saying you get DD & DTS when streaming content on Kodi, but nothing better than 2-channel any other way?

I'm returning the box to Amazon and trying something else.

I have had this problem with the H96 Pro+ and H96 Max. I've tried about 5 boxes this year with none of them passing through an AC3 or DTS signal to my receiver. I did have an Alphawise H96 PRO+ 3/32GB I bought last year that passed through AC3 & DTS via the SPIDF, but it had a different menu system than what is available today. It dies within the warranty period and returned to GearBest and that's where my many disappointments started.

Guess I'll keep buying and returning Android media boxes until one does what I want.

To bad WDTV media boxes are no more, or if I cold figue out how to connect it to my Win10 network.

4. rread13

rread13 New Member

Yes DD and DTS playback with KODI properly set up. On a select number of movies.

I'll have to rip a DTS CD and a movie and put it on the storage/memory and test my unit with the built in player.
    This was done with HDMI passthrough to my Pioneer Elite SC-05 receiver. When I do get a movie in KODI in DD the front panel display shows 5 speakers.

No joy with Terrarium for TV and movie streaming, just basic 2 channel prologic audio. Same for ALL streaming apps.

That's why I use KODI. I'm using an app called "One Nation", Kodi World, and the updater app is Luxury Wizard. This gets updated almost weekly and is stable as hell. Google it and give it a try. Using KODI 17.6.

Here's the weblink: https://kodiapps.com/how-to-install-luxury-build-on-kodi-17-krypton

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  5. Daryl1989

Daryl1989 New Member

I returned the H6 box to Amazon (go Amazon!) and am running a Roku Ultra from Costco until I can find an Android box that doesn't require goofy work arounds to provide proper function.

The Roku isn't ideal and as convenient as a properly functioning Android box, but it is delivering DD & DTS and the video playback is quite good. Not sure why Roku doesn't go the extra yard and develop a file navigator equal to ES Explorer and a more feature rich player like VLC. They could probably dominate the market if they went the extra step.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll keep it in mind for the next box.

Now what should that next box be?

6. Winni

Winni New Member

i had this pb (no passthrough with HDMI), after resetting the box (with the button in the stereo jack exit) it working well