Getting the best Quality from hdmi recording

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X9' started by azidahaka, Sep 16, 2015.

1. azidahaka

azidahaka Member

I was wondering if there's some tricks to improve the quality of the recording through hdmi.

It's not like it's too bad, but is seems to have a good deal of blockiness/blurring (i record car races from ps4) that i didn't expect to be there. This seems to happen more on very fast scrolling.

I'm using a usb3.0 pendrive connected to its usb 3.o port, recording as mp4 at 1080p.

would using lower resolution make the video a bit sharper? what is the difference from the TS and mp4 files? Are there some hidden settings to improve bitrate or quality?

Can you get better results using another capture software to be downloaded from app store?

Anything you can tell me will be very useful :)

2. azidahaka

azidahaka Member

Some help would be really appreciated and it would be a great advertising if the HDMI record quality could be improved in any way...

If at 1080p it's impossible i'm sure that 720p with higher bitrate or maybe 60hz recordings would be a GREAT improvement!

3. papiguy

papiguy Member

What is the version of the firmware ?
    How is the setting of the display for playing (as far as possible 1080p60).

What affect the quality of recording is essentialy the speed of recording, the number of frames per second and the resolution. As the writting on the memory seems to be made "by batch" and not continuously, the writting speed on the target memory is essential as well as the transfer speed.

I use a USB3 adaptor containing a high speed card, select HD and ts. The results of recording for "speeding" sequences are acceptable, quite similar to the input.
    Of course, if you select a lower resolution, no frame will be lost during recording.
    I tested a recording directly on an old NAS (synology DS207): it works with VGA resolution while it is impossible under HD.

I tested recording after having selected mp4: frames are regularly missing, while the recordings are correct with ts.

4. azidahaka

azidahaka Member

I use a usb 3.0 pendrive so the speed should be way way more than enough. The zidoo is set up to 1080p60hz.

I would say that the issues is the bitrate above all; it seems that for transitions and fast scrolling things (i.e. race track) the way the video is compressed or the bitrate is too low.

I there's the need i'll upload a video to show what i mean.

BTW i have no issues with missing frames while recording in mp4... Your feedback puzzles me to be honest. I walked away from .TS since it needs re-encoding to be uploaded or edited....

5. papiguy

papiguy Member

To be more comprehensive I performed today 10 recording tests with the same HDMI Input quality (TV - Formula One in Singapore - 1080p):
    HD or VGA, MP4 or TS, and 3 targets (1: HS card in USB3 adaptor - 2: Synology NAS DS207 - 3: USB3 pendrive)

Target 1:
    Test 1 (HD-TS): no missing frame. quality of record quite the same as the input.
    Test 2 (HD-MP4): same result as for test 1
    Test 3 (VGA-MP4): no missing frame but too bad resolution for my TV display (46 inches)
    Test 4 (VGA-TS): same result as for test 3

Target 2 (no other client on the internal network, no other traffic):
    Test 5 (VGA-TS): frames missing every 3 to 4 seconds. Bad resolution as for tests 3 and 4.
    Test 6 (VGA-MP4): same results as for test 5.
    Test 7 (HD-MP4): frames missing quite every second
    Test 8 (HD-TS): same results as for test 7

Target 3:
    Test 9 (HD-TS): rare missing frames from time to time (may be due to satellite ?)
    Test 10 (HD-MP4): same results es for test 9.

Conclusions:
    - no evident difference between MP4 and TS (with regard to recording quality).
    - no evident difference between targets 1 and 3 (with regard to recording quality)
    - target 2 to be forgotten.
    - VGA to be forgotten except where small TV displays are used.

As I pointed out in another thread, things could be probably improved by a better management of the recording process (buffering ?).

Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
  6. azidahaka

azidahaka Member

Uhm so it seems that as far as now we have no way to improve to what we already have.

BTW i'm on 1.0.3.3 on my zidoo after using online updates

7. papiguy

papiguy Member

Sorry, I forgot to mention that my zidoos X9 are fitted with versions 1.0.3.9 (1 box) and 1.0.3.8 (2 boxes) and their behaviour is the same.
    Try to upgrade to 1.0.3.5 and see, then to 1.0.3.6 and 1.0.3.8 (zip files and upgrading procedure are available on this forum.

The game boxes having a recording function (such as Avermedia Game Capture HD2 I was using before) use generally 50 fps while Zidoo uses 30 fps (sufficient for most of the movies but not adequate for games).
    So two main modifications are needed to avoid the issue you are suffering:
    - change in the recording process to avoid buffering problems and allow an increase transfer of data,
    - addition of a 50 fps recording speed

Still waiting an answer from the Development Team (Allowed or not by the hardware, and if Yes, decision to develop or not, and if Yes estimated date for release). It is not urgent for me, but gamers would find an interest in buying this box. An answer would be appreciated.

8. azidahaka

azidahaka Member

Yeah having more fps or higher bitrate would make the zidoox9 a first choice for all gamers and i'm sure 3 other drivers in my serie would buy it to record their races!

more than a fps increse i think some extra bitrate might be a stunning improvement!

I add myself to the list of those waiting to hear from Development Team :)