Framerate problem when starting playback of DV movies

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Akhnaten, Nov 16, 2022.

1. Akhnaten

Akhnaten Member

Hello,

I have a problem when lauching all my Dolby Vision movies (and only with DV movies) on my Neo Alpha :
    When I start the movie, the video is jerky, and stay like that througout the movie if I don't intervene.

But if I move the image forward or backward for a few seconds, the framerate becomes instantly
    normal again, and playback continues completely normally and without any problem until the end.

It's just at startup, and only with DV movies (I don't understand by the way, why only with DV
    movies, not with 1080p SDR or 4K HDR10).

Does anyone have any idea what is causing this problem and how to fix it ?

(I specify that apart from this specific inconvenience with the start of DV films only,
    absolutely all the rest of the player works perfectly well, in all its uses :
    And if I remove this concern of framerate at the launch of the DV movies (by the small manipulation
    that I described to move the image forward or backward by a few seconds), everything else has no problem !
    In all the tests I've done on over 50 films, the SDR, HDR, and DV picture is perfect and has absolutely
    no issues during playback, and no sound issues either.)

If it helps, here is my setup :

- SONY KD-85ZG9
    - Neo Alpha (firmware up to date)
    - HDMI video to the TV, and audio to soundbar (no switch, no intermediary in the signal path)
    - All 2m cables Wireworld Silver Sphere (48 gbs certified)
    - Framerate and resolution output natively to the TV (upscalling by the TV),
    but I tried to select "Off" (upscalling by player) ... but same result !
    - 3 second launch delay for the EDID (but I tried with 5' an 7' ... with the same result)
    - Screen resolution in "Auto" (but I tried to lock different resolution/framerate ... and same result)
    - HDR mode "Auto" - I don't want to use VS10 engine (but I tried to test with VS10 for DV ... same result)
    - DV priority LLDV (player Led)
    - 16-235 HDMI range
    - HDMI signal "enhanced/full"
    - Deep color "On" (but I tried with "Off" ... and same result)
    - YCbCr 4:2:2 12 bit for all sources (but I tried with others bit and chromasubsampling value ... same result)
    - All my files are native m2ts rip from disc (so without compression, re-encoding, or container change)
    - Playing from my NAS (high end model), and direct Cat 8 ethernet link.

I tried to move all the settings that seemed to me to have a possible effect on this problem, but none had
    solved this framerate problem when starting playback of DV movies.

So, I'm out of ideas... except that I think it looks like an EDID problem when launching DV movies :
    As if the player sent the wrong framerate information to the TV (?)

Is this really a badly adjusted setting, or could it be a bug ?

PS : By watching several videos on the advice for Zidoo settings, I saw two parameters
    that I do not find on my player :

- HDCP Setting (witch allow to switch betwen 2.2, 1.4, and Off)
    - Screen saver setting (Only a screensaver is available for the OLED screen of the player,
    but no one for the TV screen)

Where are these settings ?!
    Is there any hidden expert/advanced menu, accessible on this player ?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2022
  2. AngryVirginian

AngryVirginian Active Member

M2ts is transport stream that is not meant to be played outside a container (standard response from @Markswift2003 :)). Put the m2ts back in a BDMV structure or remux to MKV.

Markswift2003 and Deano86 like this.
  3. Akhnaten

Akhnaten Member

Thank you for your answer, but if there is one thing that I am absolutely certain of,
    it is that the problem does not come from that !

(Mark's information is certainly relevant, but it doesn't apply in the context of this issue
    as I specifically described it, which has nothing to do with it.)

1/ If it was a container problem, there wouldn't be the problem only with DV movies,
    but it would also be present with ALL my m2ts files, all those coming from BR 1080p,
    and BR 4K HRD10 too !

2/ It's been 12 years that I keep my files only in m2ts, because it solved countless times,
    problems that we could meet with mkv... and which disappeared with m2ts.

3/ I have more than a thousand files, all in native m2ts, and I have been using mediaboxes
    (PCH, Dune, Shield, Zappiti) for 10 years with which this problem has NEVER occurred, on any of my files.

My 5 previous/actual players were/are Zappiti (RTD1295 and RTD1619 generation)
    and my 250 DV films have always started on them (or on my Oppo 203), without this
    somewhat bizarre concern that I enconter with the Neo Alpha, which is my first Zidoo.

And even if the problem disappear with DV mkv remux, it doesn't explain why specifically
    on the ZIDOO, the m2ts DV is a problem, while it passes without concern with the other brands.

The technical explanation, if there is one to be found, is to be sought a little further than by
    taking the shortcut of incriminating the only m2ts container.
    (container which in my experience has much more often solved file reading problems, than it has caused !)

Last edited: Nov 17, 2022
  4. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

1/ That's not true - the mechanisms for SDR, HDR10 and DV are all different.

2/ We didn't have Dolby Vision 12 years ago and MKV is definitely the best container for a Zidoo.

3/ See 2/

What @AngryVirginian says is absolutely true - m2ts is not meant as a standalone container and shouldn't be used as such. However, I agree that it would be better if playback for DV m2ts was fixed.

I've tested several DV m2ts files and some exhibit this behaviour and some don't and I'm not sure why that is, but I've passed on an example file of one that does stutter to the devs and we'll see what they say.

5. Akhnaten

Akhnaten Member

@Markswift2003 thank you for correcting my information (and my apologies @AngryVirginian if I answered nonsense).

I'm doing a test in mkv but I have a problem creating my file, and I would need your advice.
    (I'm going to send you this by PM, because I don't know if a part of my content is not outside of forum rules)

6. Markswift2003

It's actually a bit tricky with standalone m2ts.

DV m2ts are Dual Track Dual Layer and because MKVToolnix will only produce Dual Track Dual Layer DV files (which will only play in HDR10) from DV m2ts and MakeMKV will not accept m2ts files, you have to first remux to Dual Track MKV with MKVToolnix and then remux again with MakeMKV to Single Track Dual Layer MKV.

Then the file will play correctly in DV.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2022
  7. Akhnaten

Akhnaten Member

You guessed exactly the info I needed !
    A big thank-you !

(So the PM is no longer useful ;) )

Markswift2003 likes this.
  8. Tim Brown

Tim Brown New Member

This is interesting. I have a number of M2TS files loaded into my Z9X and they all play back flawlessly.

9. Markswift2003

This only applies to DV m2ts and yes, as noted above, some files exhibit this problem and some don't.

10. Tim Brown

Tim Brown New Member

Thanks for the response. Your help is always appreciated.
    I used to use DVDFAB for rips and found that they would not correctly rip VC1 files to MKV, only M2TS. That is how I wound up with them.
    Think I will start an effort to convert my M2TS files over to MKV.

11. Akhnaten

Akhnaten Member

It's a bit out of subject, but just pay attention with DVDFab and m2ts :

For a very long time it failed to properly mux seamless branching sources, such as a majority of Disney,
    and many discs with a double version of a movie (normal and extended).

Maybe this has now been corrected.
    Otherwise, for mux to m2ts, TsMuxer is an excellent choice, as it is very reliable and handles
    seamless branching without hassle.

But for MKV muxes, DVDFab works well.

12. Markswift2003

I don't think you can beat MakeMKV - and it's free!

B0RN and Akhnaten like this.
  13. Tim Brown

Tim Brown New Member

Indeed. That is what I use now.