For HDMI recording: SD card or USB3

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X9' started by Bruce Dempsey, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Bruce Dempsey

Bruce Dempsey Member

Which is the suggested recording from a hdmi source , TF card or USB 3 Stickdrive?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  2. papiguy

papiguy Member

As far as I am correctly informed, USB3 stick drives are faster than micro SD cards. Maximum reading rate for a USB3 stick is 5 GB/s to be compared to a Micro Sd card UHS (10 to 30 MB/s). This is fortunately for my Zidoo which cannot record on the micro SD card paid 60 Euros, but records properly on a USB3 stick.

3. Bruce Dempsey

Bruce Dempsey Member

Yes I agree and now use a usb3 sd card reader with a 32gb sdhc card inserted.

4. Scott

Scott Member

How do you select where recording is done mine defaults to the micro sd card installed ?
    Also can you extend the time out feature when you set up the recording timer as this is very frustrating when it times out seconds after setting it up ??? !!!!

5. Bruce Dempsey

Bruce Dempsey Member

click on the line above where you choose vga hd fhd (top line) in the hdmi in screen location of file to be recorded will change between internal storage (2 of those) and the usb options.
    I just leave the timer alone and the recording goes on until I stop it by clicking stop.
    When clicking start if it stops right away, I scroll up the list to the top then back down to the start button and it usually starts recording when I click start but expect several short files to be produced as you push start several time before is stays recording

6. papiguy

papiguy Member

This is exact Scott, from time to time, recording does not start immediately on action on the start button.
    In addition, under some conditions, some recording destinations may not appear. This is the cas when a memory card or an USB stickdrive has not been properly "unmounted" on the file system. This can be corrected by going to "Settings - System - Storage": identify the device which cannot be used (be carefull as there is a mismatch with the names) and click on "uninstall" and further on "Install". If this does not solve the problem, another solution is to use a pc to remove the partition on the card or the USB stick and recreate one (prefer NTFS rather than FAT32 for file size reason)

7. Scott

Scott Member

It would appear if NO SD card installed it defaults to recording to USB stick which I had to test when it failed to record to SD card.
    I also found the setting of the time length in record menu option screen is Not accurate as I set to 3 hrs 50 min or 4 hours 10 min it keeps recording for longer than required !
    It would be nice to be able to add a name to the record not just some random number !

8. Bruce Dempsey

Bruce Dempsey Member

I had an expensive brand new sd card burn up after it came out of the x9 but do not know the cause and don't think it was the zidoo but it is so much easier using the usb3 than the tiny sd
    Better it record longer than shorter imo
    That is not a random number rather the exact time and date which makes sense