Firmware update

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A6' started by Inti, May 24, 2023.

1. Inti

Inti Active Member

Hi I wonder wen du the new firmware update hit the eversolo streamer automatically ?

2. Claudia

Claudia New Member

I have been wondering the same thing last week it was posted that the update will be a few days if you are doing using OTA.
    And I am still waiting for this as it hasn't happened yet.

3. Jeremiah Forster

Jeremiah Forster New Member

Inti likes this.
  4. Claudia

Claudia New Member

Thank you for this but since they have the OTA function it should work.
    I don't have a USB flash drive so I am guessing I will now have to go buy one as they are cheap.
    But why tell people that it's coming in a few days if it isn't

Inti likes this.
  5. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

In China the terms in a few days and more common soon should be taken light. ;)
    But it always comes sooner or later. :)

Spend my time in South America this month. Had a piece of furniture made on specs there. Very nice and well made and at a very good price too. Would be ready within a week they said. When going to pick it up they said tomorrow (mañana). That repeated itself for another full week. Mañana should be translated as a commitment at a day in the near future. Hardly ever meaning 24 h. Did that annoy me? Not really; one gets used to these kinds of things once knowing the little habits.

Last edited: May 25, 2023
  6. Netmask

Netmask Well-Known Member

People from the various cultures march to their own drum beat the world over. I think I was born with a Swiss watch in my brain. If I say see you at 5pm I’ll be there 1 minute before . I had to adjust…..

7. Claudia

Claudia New Member

That's all nice and lovely but when someone has spent over £700 and is new to this and is armed with a manual that only tells half the picture and is hoping that an update will solve some problems. I have now bought a USB stick and did it that way but to be honest I shouldn't have to.

8. Netmask

I would much rather do all my updates via a USB stick. I’ve always done this with all my media boxes prior to Zidoo. Far safer as over the air can always suffer from glitches and internet interruptions. Maybe I’m a bit paranoid but I’ve had practical experience of OTA in the past and a bricked device as a result.

9. armstrong

armstrong New Member

I’m with you, they should have fixed all of these issues before they started selling these.

10. Netmask

11. Netmask

There is nothing to fix - OTA and or local manual update is a standard feature of many high tech devices.

12. armstrong

armstrong New Member

Nothing to fix? You’re funny.

13. Nice Monkey

Remember what the topic is. I think he just meant "Nothing to fix about the FW Update procedure via Local or OTA". I can agree with that statement with just one exception: Downgrades should be allowed too (maybe they are on Eversolo?).

Did not see an Emergency Flash Image and procedure in the case the players FW got corrupted and the normal procedure won't work anymore. Also that can happen.

14. Claudia

Claudia New Member

whilst I maybe can see your point to a degree because in the end I used a usb stick to update.
    The originally post mentioned that there would be an OTA update in the week coming days (let’s give the benefit of the doubt as the week is not officially over) If this wasn’t going to happen until weeks later then why mention and second why build the ability to do it in the system. I am new to the audio game. But with most of my other electronics software updates done over OTA that are bigger than this like on a Mac are standard practice. Also my very old Yamaha CRX hifi system would do updates OTA as it’s easier. It really can’t be that difficult to push an OTA

15. Nice Monkey

The policy with Zidoo is to make available interim updates (with limited testing of the changes made) via Local only.
    This is meant for the enthusiast willing to run the risk that something got broken with it.

More stable/tested updates are pushed via OTA above all for those not using the forum.

Oh yes no need to get any USB stick. You can upload the new FW also via a HDD or even using the Internal free space on the Players Internal Flash (or even NAS?). It is just a file to be found anywhere. Do this all the time with my players.
    Only for emergency flashing a real USB FAT32 Stick must be used (as that uses the Bootloader).

Last edited: May 27, 2023
  16. Claudia

Claudia New Member

Ok but how would I know that? I signed up to the forum for troubleshooting and then was told there is an update.
    At no point was it mentioned if it beta or not stable.

17. Arcticpollen

Arcticpollen Active Member

Jeez, give Eversolo a break last week’s firmware released for download already fixed a couple of major features - SSD max size and the ability to use both RCA and XLR analogue outputs at the same time which is a major benefit for anyone wanting to use a headphone amp alongside their main listening kit.

Given there’s another major update due shortly, I wouldn’t be surprised if last week’s one never makes it to OTA.

These forums are full of shouty moans from a bunch of people having bought a brand new product as soon as it was released without reading the specs or checking what was and wasn’t currently supported.

If you don’t like cutting/bleeding edge, wait 6 months and check to see if the product meets your use case before buying.

Laz Arus and Nutul like this.
  18. Claudia

Claudia New Member

Sorry did you actually read what people were typing before you became rude?
    we want moaning at their speed it was Eversolo that said the OTA would come this week we didn't.
    Actually, I don't know about anyone else but I bought the product for what it advertised it could do sorry for saying something when it doesn't
    I know maybe you live on Millionaire Row so you can afford to keep dropping over £700 and not be concerned if it does not work right.

Have a good evening

19. StefanKue

StefanKue New Member

I updated to v 1.1.46 but I still can select only one output option. How you do it?

20. Arcticpollen

Arcticpollen Active Member

I had a specific use case for the DMP-A6 and having read some articles by reviewers I trust and spoken to a couple of dealers and users who already had one in their possession, I took a punt and splashed my hard earned cash on buying a version 1.0 of a new product.

Eversolo have been super engaged in this and other forums and the devs have turned out 2 fairly major firmware updates in a week or so. I’ve worked in IT for long enough to know that version 1 of anything is nowhere near where it’s likely to end up after further development.

The problems with HDMI and USB handshakes to external equipment will no doubt be fixed soon. The UI will improve and omissions like an eject function for an external optical drive will be fixed too.

The tone of some of the posts in this forum are needlessly aggressive. I’ll say it again, if you don’t want to be a beta tester, don’t rush in and buy version 1.0 of a new product.

B0bs4g3t likes this.