FEL DV MKV Playback

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by afss, Feb 24, 2021.

1. afss

afss Active Member

I think this topic was a bit spread over several threads.

There have been indications that Realtek RTD1619DR could decode FEL DV (on MKV, no ISO) files, and I got the impression Zidoo was pursuing a firmware enhancement to support it. Later I read feedback that this was not possible at all. Not sure what is the final conclusion (appreciate if anybody could chime in).

Like I said before, a great interim development would be for Zidoo to only use the RPU layer on those FEL DV MKV files (simply ignoring the EL layer), providing the Dolby Vision tone mapping as it is done for MEL DV files. I understand other players like the Nvidia Shield are doing this.

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

The 1619DR simply can't process a Full Enhancement Layer - it just doesn't have the hardware to do it - there's never been any question about that.

It's possible to use the RPU against the HDR10(+) base layer in a dvhe.07 FEL to produce the same result as dvhe.07 MEL and we're just waiting to hear about that.

We've previously had confirmation from Zidoo that the RPU is processed for dvhe.07 MEL but I haven't seen such explicit confirmation from Nvidia yet.

If you have a link where NVidia themselves have confirmed that the RPU is used for dvhe.07 MEL (or FEL), rather than speculation, I'd be very interested to see that.

ammar11 likes this.
  3. afss

afss Active Member

Thanks Mark, very good summary (as always) - I have read on the FEL RPU usage on the Shield, but I have to dig where it was that I saw it. Will reply as soon as I do.

Markswift2003 likes this.
  4. tosh123

tosh123 Member

is this the way what Dune HD Pro does?

5. Markswift2003

Not sure - because of all the chatter and speculation on the forums, they now say "Dolby Vision extended information .. is used.." but they have so far failed to make any mention of the RPU which I find odd - you'd think they'd shout it from the rooftops! And as far as I know they don't support DV MKV yet.

fedofed likes this.
  6. ulna68

ulna68 Active Member

7. afss

afss Active Member

Hello Markswift, Please, have you heard any more updates from Zidoo (i.e. an upcoming beta with experimental FEL MKV DV (RPU only) playback ?

8. Markswift2003

Hoping to have some news very soon...

fedofed and ammar11 like this.
  9. afss

afss Active Member

Awesome, thank you very much !

10. blenky

blenky Well-Known Member

Just playing around with the Kodi 19 DV build (https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=360018) on my Nvidia Shield. Works very well - plays back all my DV MKV rips in DV.

I tried the test files from the link below and the Kodi DV build plays all of them in DV

https://www.makemkv.com/download/dvtest/

The Z9X has different results as you would expect:

P4_LG_Dolby_Trailer_4K_Demo.mkv - does not play in HDR at all
    P5_Dolby_Amaze.mkv - DV
    P7_FEL_GIJoe_The_Rise_of_Cobra.mkv - HDR10
    P7_MEL_GIJoe_The_Rise_of_Cobra.mkv - DV
    P81_GlassBlowing2_3840x2160@59_94fps_15200kbps.mkv - DV

Russell Capp likes this.
  11. ulna68

ulna68 Active Member

it is worth noting that these compilations on Kodi 19 DV were made by a fan (not a professional), in my opinion only the release of realtek sdk somewhere will cause different people from around the world (apart from companies producing hardware for this SoC like Zidoo, which are bound by license agreements and restrictions imposed by Dolby) they would do much better and working software (like enigma on satellite decoders, I used to have the first KATHREIN ufs910sw HD satellite decoder, at the beginning there was only software from the manufacturer, then there was enigma2 for this decoder loaded from the usb disk and suddenly it took he has new unexpected features. Maybe someday (meaning soon) it will sail out and suddenly it will turn out that it is now theoretically impossible, it will be practically possible, but I am probably too much optimistic) I respect and value Zidoo programmers, but they are probably too limited by the bans of big Hollywood and Dolby corporations ...

12. afss

afss Active Member

I understand Zidoo will not be able to process DV ISO files for legal reasons, but they already support MKV DV files, including MEL Profile 7.

What we are asking is for them to develop something similar to what other Android boxes are doing (at least we believe so), which is to playback FEL MKV DV profile 7 files, only using the RPU data for tone mapping, the same way they are already doing for MEL MKV DV profile 7 files. This should not be too difficult to do.

DennisTheMenace likes this.
  13. ulna68

ulna68 Active Member

there is a saying that the Titanic was built by professionals and the ark by amateurs. I am not entirely convinced that these things that supposedly cannot be done on this SoC are related to actual limitations only with the policy of large corporations who, like independence, defend their profits and privileges, Sony for years forbade SACD sound through digital connectors (it only tolerated exotic denon-link, then many producers thought that it was not possible to physically output this signal via hdmi (I myself had a denon 2900 dvd, which only transmitted the signal from SACD using analog 5.1 outputs

14. afss

afss Active Member

Hi Markswift, if there is a beta test team for this funcionality, I would like to volunteer please.

I am holding the painful/cumbersome FEL to MEL conversion process for all my 4K backups, hoping Zidoo can sort this out.

Thank you all

15. Markswift2003

Nothing is ready yet, so it's just a waiting game at the moment I'm afraid.

But I see no point in converting FEL titles to MEL at all. Even if the RPU stays intact, you're still hard encoding a 12-bit signal (from BL+EL) down to a 10-bit base layer, and since that base layer is by definition either HDR10, SDR or HLG compatible.... well, you do the math... ;)

ammar11 likes this.
  16. ammar11

ammar11 Well-Known Member

Yep, I'm not bothered to convert my FEL titles. The original HDR10 base with VS10 will do for now.

17. afss

afss Active Member

With my setup as LLDV and the firmware as it is, unfortunately there is an advantage on converting FEL to MEL.

- MEL MKV DV files, when played as LLDV on my setup do use the dynamic metadata from the RPU, and on my low nit projector, I get better shadow detail and more controlled highlights due to the DV tonemapping process (as I understand) - While comparing it to basic HDR10, there is a clear improvement to my eyes (again on my low nit projector)

- FEL MKV DV files fall back to the HDR10 layer and even with the VS10 engine (and played via LLDV), do not look as punchy, having murky blacks and also more crunched highlights on my projector. By going throught the hassle of the FEL to MEL conversion (hoping this will be over soon...), I get the benefits described above.

18. Markswift2003

Anything that improves projector imaging is definitely a good thing and LLDV is one of those things that works really well, and yes, I agree completely that the ideal scenario for us is to have the RPU available for all DV material.

19. afss

afss Active Member

Now with the EDID feature, several people without an HDFURY may benefit from the MEL/FEL LLDV output from Zidoo ! The FEL DV MKV suport has become even more relevant :)

20. cucnz

cucnz Active Member

Once you have the Fel - Mel conversion down ,its actually pretty simple

i keep the same 2 working text files to run in the command lines (using Gama system)
    and basiccly just swap the 00001.m2ts as example file names and Title name

its worked everytime so far for me and runs in the background easily while im gaming on say tera