External HDD question

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X9S' started by floydo, Oct 21, 2018.

1. floydo

floydo New Member

Have the X9S connected to network via SMB, but would like to add local drive that is not powered all the time, as is the network server. My question is what are the HDD solutions using the SATA connection, preferably?

One obvious choice is to just connect a 3.5" disk and lay it next to the unit in the cabinet. I looked for 3.5" cases to maybe squelch the noise a bit, but the solutions found usually involve a USB or similar interconnect and a external power brick, which would be nice to avoid. Previous Popcorn Hour A210 had internal 3.5" drive that could be utilized. 2.5" disks offer easier solutions but aren't in the >2TB category
    Comments, suggestions?

2. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

2.5 inch HDD are available at least up to 4 TB and work very well specifically using the USB-3 port (800 mA 5V).

Using SATA no external PSU is needed neither for 3.5 inch HDD. Doing it all the time. Using an old enclosure with the tail cut off using a saw. Doing so for straight access to the connectors.

3. floydo

floydo New Member

Looking at reviews of the larger 2.5" HDDs, Seagate gets relatively horrible reviews for reliability, and WD seems better but is more expensive in larger capacities. It is curious because several years ago statistics seemed to support 2.5" HDDs as being more reliable than 3.5, at least thats my impression. I like the solution of an old or cheap 3.5" enclosure with the end removed. Thanks for the idea!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018