External Drive losing power when connected to UHD3000

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by detroit1, Apr 17, 2022.

1. detroit1

detroit1 New Member

I have UHD3000 and I use the 2 internal drive bays and also connect an external 16TB drive when watching

I have had this set up for a while and no problems but recently I have noticed the external hard drive turning off where you no longer see it in the choices and no light on the power of it even though it was on and working earlier. Today it happened again where I was watching a file and suddenly it stopped and lost power
    I already replaced the power strip because I thought that was the issue but same issue with different power strip
    I am wondering if it is the power cord going bad but when I have it connected to my computer to copy and paste files, I never have any issue. In that case, it could be something with the UHD usb ports on the back. I have also tried using the other one when this first happened
    Does anyone know why this would be happening ? The internal drives are ok and stay powered and you can see them in the choices on the left

2. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

How is it connected exactly. USB3 port? Using an external 12V 2A PSU? What is a power strip?
    Spin Down timer is not configured I expect?

3. detroit1

detroit1 New Member

Connected to the same back usb port. The Internal Drives work all the time. No issues. It is only this external drive that I have been using with this player the same way for a while that is suddenly losing power and shutting off. I have that External plugged into outlet in power strip that has 6 which is plugged into the wall and the strip is working and the lights are on there. I have not tried front port. This external drive is plugged into the back of the Zidoo usb
    not sure what you mean by spin down timer

4. Nice Monkey

Since a few recent FW's there is an option to spin-down HDD's when not in use after a configured time elapsed. Should not disconnect just be slow on a restart spinning up again.

If the HDD really powers-off then it must be in the PSU chain. Bad cable or connector? Try other USB port and another cable/PSU .

5. detroit1

detroit1 New Member

I just tried the same external drive with a different power cable and let it play files for 1 hour and it worked ok. I will have to test some more and hope the problem doesn't come back

I have not updated the firmware in a while but I never had this problem until the last week or so

6. detroit1

detroit1 New Member

It happened again just now. I had the same drive connected with the different power cable and it suddenly shut off after I turned on the Zidoo and could see 3 drives, both internal and the seagate external 16TB then all of a sudden the external shut off

the internal drives stay powered on

Very concerning as now it looks like the fault of the Zidoo UHD 3000

7. Nice Monkey

Try another USB port. May be that connector?

8. detroit1

detroit1 New Member

FYI.
    When it first happened I also tried the other back USB port and temporarily it worked then it happened again on that port a couple times so I went back to the other back port and was able to watch files yesterday

There is something going on with the back USB ports

9. Anson Almeida

Anson Almeida New Member

I too am facing this issue with the Z9S model . I have a WD My Book 6TB External HDD connected to USB 3.0 port while watching any content it automatically gets disconnected and its not recognized. I have to restart Zidoo in order to get the HDD recognized