EDID thread (RTD1619DR players)

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Markswift2003, Mar 18, 2021.

1. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Just to confirm what it does. I understand the following:
    1- A standard EDID is done capturing that info block. This reveals details of the TV/Projector video capabilities including HDR. Currently only shown at the right?
    2- The captured EDID can be modified for correction, missing items and potentially to add Player-Led DV for HDR/BT2010 capable TV's.
    3- The modified/custom EDID is uploaded from a file "Upload EDID" replacing the interactive dialog method to improve/extend HDR functionality from then onwards.
    4- A few pré-defined EDID's are included for well-known fixes and can be applied directly.
    This thread is indeed a good place to share many more.

Example: Potentially it should allow my Philips OLED HDR10 only TV to display DV content via LLDV (Player-led) using the VS10 engine with a modified EDID. Will at least test it out of curiosity. Only a real feature for me playing UHD HDR10/DV BD ISO's directly or potentially Netflix DV (if that ever comes back?).

Next to potentially improving HDR functionality in combination with Zidoo it could avoid some interruptions too when changing video formats or even just turning the TV on/off as it already has the EDID info stored permanently? Might potentially use it just for that purpose.

Obviously when changing the TV/projector connected the EDID stored should be removed/cleared prior to doing so.

Interesting feature but for advanced customers as correctly stated with the setup option. Most never heard of an EDID not even talking about what it all does.

If correct will add the text above to my overview of RTD1619DR related changes!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
  2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Yes - that's pretty much it.

The only bit missing from the equation at present is the ability of the Zidoo to send an HDR SEI message (HDR metadata) which is needed when spoofing LLDV since a BT.2020 LLDV signal is basically an ST.2084 HDR signal tone mapped by VS10 and the TV needs to be in its standard 1000nit HDR mode to decode it.

Some projectors won't need this (notably JVCs) but I think pretty much all TVs will - I don't know of any where you can manually set HDR.

I've sent such an SEI to Zidoo - just waiting to see if they can incorporate it.

The should be able to since the box sends an SEI message when, for example, it's in Mapping HDR mode, although that is a 500nit signal.

3. Nice Monkey

Thanks for confirming.

4. jwort93

jwort93 Member

On the LG CX, if you highlight the "picture mode settings" list option under the "picture" tab in the sidebar, and then type 1113111 on the remote, it opens a hidden "HDMI Signaling Override" menu, which allows you to manually specify an ST2084 EOTF, engaging HDR mode even with an SDR signal. That being said, the TV natively supports Dolby Vision, so there isn't really a need to use this workaround with the LG CX haha.

https://i.imgur.com/VYJe7EO.jpg

Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
    boxerfan and Markswift2003 like this.
  5. Markswift2003

Now that's very cool - interesting that you can change the version of the Dolby VSDB too...

jwort93 likes this.
  6. bobocher

bobocher New Member

I'm very glad that the EDID-feature, which I suggested back in September 2020, has been implemented.
    Thumbs up to Zidoo team and thank you Markswift2003 for helping them.

Markswift2003 likes this.
  7. Nice Monkey

I got the suggestion from a German forum to use EDID spoofing for a far simpler application being "AMP HDMI passthrough limitation bypassing".

You capture the EDID with the TV directly connected offering HDR10+ and/or DV HDR modes which your AMP does not support/pass.
    You upload that original EDID to your Zidoo which will be spoofed next. Now the EDID limitations of the AMP are bypassed. For actual HDR10+/DV playback it is no problem?

If this simple trick really works then those AMP manufacturers are a real shame knowingly and willingly limiting EDID exchanges when set to bypass mode?

One can also use the Windows "Monitor Asset Manager Version 2.9" to capture the EDID response. Obviously via connecting the TV to the PC running that program during the capture process.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
  8. Markswift2003

I'm not aware of any amps that restrict features that are supported by restricting the EDID.

Certainly Dolby Vision will be supported by most amps since it's specifically designed to be compatible with HDMI 1.4, or at least it is to 30Hz.

As for HDR10+, that requires HDMI 2.1.

So for example I have an old Denon 7200 which is HDMI 2 so does not support HDR10+ which is reflected in EDID, but if I spoof the EDID to HDR10+, the amp still can't pass it.

One area where this feature is useful though is where the EDID gets truncated by the amp because of overflow (EDIDs are only 256 bytes) but you need a certain amount of knowledge in order to edit the EDID.

This was highlighted recently by our friend @Sledgehamma (I'm sure he won't mind me saying) were a soundbar truncated an extremely complicated EDID from the TV so removing HDR10+ support.

This was because the TV EDID supported multiple LLDV modes (10 and 12-bit, 422 and 444) which is unusual and also HDR10+, equally unusual.

The soundbar added multiple object oriented sound modes so something had to give and in this case it was a single byte of the HDR10+ string.

I was able to create an EDID that covered all the TV's video modes and the soundbar's audio modes and use that in the Zidoo. This is something that the automated EDID matching of the soundbar was unable to do.

9. Nice Monkey

HDR10+ for sure does not require HDMI 2.1 for additional bandwidth. It just works very fine on my OPPO with HDMI 2.0 only. In fact bandwidth used is identical to HDR10 to my limited knowledge. That + is just adding dynamic tone mapping.

So I still think in fact it could be a case brought up by our German friends.

How do i capture the EDID without using an external Windows program to try?

10. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

HDR10+ Does not require HDMI 2.1

11. Markswift2003

It's nothing to do with bandwidth, it's the inclusion of dynamic metadata for HDMI signalling in CTA-861-G on which HDMI 2.1 is based.

Dynamic metadata was not included in CTA-861-F on which HDMI 2.0b was based.

[​IMG]

To capture an EDID:

Quick Settings/Other/About/Advanced Settings/System/Realtek Developer Options/Save EDID on USB Stick

12. Markswift2003

Strictly speaking that's not true, but some manufacturers have utilised some of the spec in CTA-861-G since its release (HLG is another good example) in HDMI 2.0b but it's outside of specification.

13. Nice Monkey

As far as I know Dynamic HDR, eARC and VRR are occasionally also implemented on HDMI 2.0 ports. That makes it confusing for sure.
    I am very sure OPPO 203 does HDR10+ perfectly via HDMI 2.0 with a Panasonic TV

14. ulna68

ulna68 Active Member

my marantz sr6010 receiver supports HLG, and it has hdmi 2.0, I fired a champions league match with this standard and everything was ok.
    If it turned out to be true that I would be able to do this trick with EDID, work around the fact that my receiver does not support HDR10 + my happiness would know no limits ...

15. Nice Monkey

Why don't you try it yourself? Connect the TV directly to the Zidoo, Capture the EDID to a file (should include HDR10+). Upload it to the Zidoo as Custom EDID and reconnect the player again via your AMP. See what it does. No real risks here.

16. ulna68

ulna68 Active Member

I'm thinking about it right now, just a couple of points:
    1.How or what should I capture EDID on zidoo after connecting directly to tv ??
    2 and where to upload this file from EDID?
    a step by step instruction would be needed

17. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

When I first saw a broadcast by the BBC on iPlayer in HLG, I was knocked over - it was really very good indeed. Since then during which time Sky have been using it, I've seen little use of it on iPlayer. As soon as Sky have migrated to Internet transmissions, I think HLG will be a thing of the past - 2 years max. Why the BBC don't make use of it now, I really don't know.

I knew it has something to do with the metadata but didn't know why - I knew @Markswift2003 would give us the reason :) FWIW I enjoyed the BBC's World Cup broadcasts in 2018 and David Attenborough Planet something or other and this was watching on my 2017 Samsung TV and this was long before HDMI 2.1 even though HLG doesn't come with metadata

18. Markswift2003

1. Quick Settings/Other/About/Advanced Settings/System/Realtek Developer Options/Save EDID on USB Stick

2. Quick Settings/Display/Custom EDID/Upload EDID

ulna68 likes this.
  19. ulna68

ulna68 Active Member

Many thanks for the hint, I will be experimenting on the weekend (hard work during the week)

Markswift2003 likes this.
  20. Markswift2003

I have to be honest, if your amp doesn't support HDR10+ through EDID there's no reason to expect it to support it without, but hey, stranger things happen!

Let us know how it goes.