EDID thread (RTD1619DR players)

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Markswift2003, Mar 18, 2021.

1. Nejiro

Nejiro Member

My Zidoo Z9X is connected to my Yamaha CX-A5100 preamp and from the preamp I go to the Sony KD-65AG8 TV, I acquired the edid so connected and then I loaded the file into the Zidoo setting the Edid to custom, I state that my TV supports all HD formats except HDR10 + (of which honestly I have almost no film), according to you I should acquire the edid with the Zidoo connected directly to the TV and then use that or is it okay as I did?
    Thanks

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

No, I only ask for EDIDs connected direct to the TV so I get a true EDID of the TV only.

When you connect to a receiver, that receiver has an EDID too because it will most likely have more audio codecs than the TV for example and there may be more HDMI modes.

So the receiver takes the TV EDID and its own and combines them to (hopefully) provide an overall EDID for the combination. I say "hopefully", because occasionally it doesn't work - the EDID is only 256 bytes and sometimes an overflow occurs and bits get left out - not usually though.

Anyway, in your case, the Zidoo would normally see the combined EDID of the TV and receiver so that's what you want to use otherwise you'll lose audio codecs etc.

pcristi likes this.
  3. Nejiro

Nejiro Member

So it's ok as I did also because I keep it connected to the Yamaha exclusively for audio, the video on the yamaha is set in passtrought, so the yamaha in theory does not do any video processing ...

4. Horváth Ákos

Horváth Ákos New Member

Hi Markswift2003,

Could you help me?! I need an EDID file for my Sony XE9305 TV. AVR is an Onkyo TX-NR686, connected with HDMI 2.0b cable.
    I can't set my Zidoo Z9x correctly, because HT poster wall, HDR and DV videos are too dark.

thanks a lot!

5. Markswift2003

Download the current EDID (Settings/Display/Custom EDID/Save EDID) with the Zidoo connected to the Onkyo connected to the TV - make sure both TV and amp are switched on!!

Then connect the Sony directly to the Zidoo (again make sure the TV is on) and do the same again so you have two EDIDs - one from the Onkyo while the TV is connected and one directly from the TV.

Upload them both here (change the file extension from .bin to .txt so the forum will allow it) and I'll see if the Onkyo is doing something odd...

Off the top of my head I think it must be to do with HDMI quantisation levels but if I have your EDIDs I can see what the Zidoo does with them here...

6. Horváth Ákos

Horváth Ákos New Member

Many thanks for your help! I attach edid files.

Attached Files:

7. Markswift2003

Ok - first I've compared the two files and apart from expected differences there is absolutely nothing wrong with the way the Onkyo handles the EDID.

When you connect a TV to an AVR, the AVR has its own EDID and this is combined with the TV's EDID. Sometimes (not often) this can cause issue, particularly if the TV has a complicated EDID because it can lead to truncation - the EDID is only 256 bytes. However, this is not a problem here.

Secondly I tried both EDIDs on my Z9X here - so in effect my Z9X will do exactly the same as yours in terms of what it spits out.

To be honest it's as I expected - there's nothing really in the EDID that cause a darkened image. It worked perfectly as it does with my own EDID.

The interesting thing is you say that DV, HDR and the Poster Wall are all dark.

If, as you posted elsewhere, you are using HDR set to "Auto", for your setup, HDR will output HDR, SDR will output SDR and DV will output LLDV (Your TV is Player Led DV only).

The Poster Wall is SDR so that means that all content - SDR, HDR and DV - is looking dark.

One thing to try is to go to Settings/Video/Colour Settings/HDMI Range and change from "16-235" to "0-235" and tell me what happens.

The change it back to "16-235". It may be that the logic there has got confused and needs resetting.

8. Horváth Ákos

Horváth Ákos New Member

I tried to change all of settings and three times to restore factory settings, but the result is the same. If I changed the HDMI range, the picture was brighter, but veiled.
    Could it be caused by an HDMI port error?

9. Markswift2003

Is it the same if you connect the Zidoo directly to the TV?

10. vddan

vddan Active Member

To talk about the HDMI range, if we change it and want to go back to '16 / 235 ', this is not taken into account and the' gray 'range is not good !!!
    I looked for a good time to find my good settings and I noticed when returning to 'Auto HDR' and then for example 'all VS10' which is my current setting, I found my correct gray range !!!! !
    So little bug in these HDMI color settings.

11. pcristi

pcristi Active Member

@Horváth Ákos
    Check to have picture paraments brightness set to 32 for SDR and HDR->SDR on Zidoo quick settings or try to change on Gamma from 2.2 to 2.0 from TV picture menu maybe will be better.

12. clz4775

clz4775 New Member

Hi Markswift2003,

I have the Nakamichi sound bar used with the Vizio PX75-G1 and that combination does not allow Dolby Vision to passthrough. I followed the instructions on this thread to save a copy of my EDID with the Z9x plugged directly to the tv and used that as a custom EDID and that works but I lost CEC functions. For some reason when I use the built-in Sony EDID I do get CEC functions but the colors are super saturated. My question is if you could please take a look at my EDIDs and see if there's a way to fix the CEC functions?

13. Markswift2003

Post copies of the EDID with and without the sound bar in line and I'll take a look..

Rename from .bin to .txt to post it on the forum..

14. clz4775

clz4775 New Member

Thank you for your time on this.

Attached Files:

15. Markswift2003

Right - this is one of those occasions where the amp, or in your case, soundbar, has mangled the TV's EDID.

Your TV supports Dolby Vision and HDR10+, both of which have their own blocks in the EDID.

What's happened is that the Nakamichi has combined both blocks into one block, rendering both useless. I assume that the Nakamichi doesn't support HDR10+ and this is why it's combined the two - basically this is a bad bug in the Nakamichi firmware.

So I've separated the two blocks and now this tells the Zidoo it can spit out Dolby Vision as well as HDR10+ and all other parameters of the Nakamichi EDID are the same as before.

As I say, I don't know if the Nakamichi supports HDR10+ or not, so although the Zidoo will pass HDR10+, it may not be recognised by the Nakamichi and passed through, but it will certainly pass Dolby Vision.

https://mega.nz/file/cPBiDZYK#71j7EkhVBKvWHK-xahfrrwtHX1LEapscjyEIyc2NzEk

This is another instance where the EDID function of the Zidoo is invaluable - no other media player is able to do this.

dr4go, clz4775 and serg fedorov like this.
  16. clz4775

clz4775 New Member

The fixed EDID resolved the CEC functions. I was able to verify Dolby Vision and HDR. I don't have any HDR10+ contents to test. I love the custom EDID function on the Zidoo. I have a second one for my Sony projector but no issues there since it only supports HDR10. I also have the Nvidia Shield stick that has no such workaround. Thanks again for the fix!

Markswift2003 likes this.
  17. Ozzyoz

Ozzyoz Member

Sorry but I'm really in confusion. It is not true what you wrote .... in the sense that I used the settings as in your document, so I have to think that HDfury even when I execute create and send, it does what it wants and does not record the parameters.
    I don't understand anything anymore.
    In fact, when I connect to the network I do not see the parameters that I have set.
    Do I have to do anything other than press create and send?

I bought the used Vertex2 .. better to make a factory default?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2021
  18. Markswift2003

I've moved this to the EDID thread so as not to clog up the firmware thread..

So that backup you sent had Automix ticked

upload_2021-12-20_18-31-59.png

and not Custom Edid as in the PDF

upload_2021-12-20_18-25-52.png

So there's no need to execute anything except the HDR message to kick the display into HDR:

upload_2021-12-20_18-27-24.png

pcristi likes this.
  19. Ozzyoz

Ozzyoz Member

Sorry , but I don't understand ..... the problem is the Zidoo ... in my opinion it has a bug when you select LLDV it alters the brightness

20. Markswift2003

No - LLDV output levels are correct.

Try setting HDR to "Dolby Vision VS10 Engine ( for SDR, HDR DV Content)"

Last edited: Dec 20, 2021