E-AC-3 (Dolby Digital Plus)

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Peter M, Nov 30, 2022.

1. Peter M

Peter M New Member

Hope someone can help me here, I have not been able to configure the Z9x to be able to play anything that has audio stream of E-AC-3 (Dolby Digital Plus)

I have found mention on the web that it should work ?
    I had set it up as per recommended guidelines

Every other format I throw at it, works like a charm.
    My setup is nas - Z9x to TV via HDMI and then to Denon amp via HDMI
    Everything will play perfectly on that setup through a Beyonwiz, or the Zidoo except this DD+ ?

2. Netmask

Netmask Well-Known Member

Probably the specs for your tv. Really should connect Zidoo to Denon amp via hdmi and output of amp via hdmi to tv in.

3. Netmask

Netmask Well-Known Member

My setup is Beyonwiz PVR to Yamaha amp. Zidoo to Yamaha amp, BD disc player to Yamaha. ChromecastUltra into the Yamaha. HDMI out of Yamaha into TV. I don't use the TV's sound system at all.
    Speaker outs of amp to 7.1 Tannoy speaker system. Atmos speakers mounted on top of front left right speakers boxes. I may mount them up closer to the ceilings as I have 12' ceilings (house circa 1919). I have long since turned CEC off and am happy to use multiple remotes but mostly using the iPad remote for the Yamaha as it is my central switching control.

4. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

There's nothing you need to set up to play E-AC3 other than set Audio to RAW or AUTO - but if you get other formats ok, you've done that.

As long as the EDID allows, and the file has an E-AC3 soundtrack, it will just pass through.

As @Netmask says, probably the equipment and I completely agree - using ARC or E-ARC should always be a last resort - always go Source>Amp>Display if you can.

5. Peter M

Peter M New Member

Thanks very much for the direction, I will adjust the connections & keep my fingers crossed.

6. Peter M

Peter M New Member

Well, that didn't work either. My Denon 4311 amp will not recognize the zidoo through a hdmi connection, nor strangely enough a Chromecast either. Yet the tv will recognize both
    At a loss as to why that would be ? I thought they were essentially plug & play ?

7. Markswift2003

Can you post your EDID:

To Download EDID
    ================

Settings/Display/Custom EDID/Save EDID

Save to a USB stick or network location.

Change the file extension from .bin to .txt to upload to the forum

(The forum won't accept .bin files)

8. Peter M

Peter M New Member

Hi Mark, Thanks for the help, Attached copy of edid file

Attached Files:

• edid.txt
      File size:
      256 bytes
      Views:
  9. Markswift2003

Ok, that explains everything - the EDID doesn't support E-AC3, only DTS, AC3 and L-PCM

10. Peter M

Peter M New Member

Hi Mark, So does that mean the a zidoo cant actually play that format regardless of what I have read on sites ?
    Or do I have to do something else with a EDID ? I had never heard of a EDID until this started.

Cheers

11. AngryVirginian

AngryVirginian Active Member

You need to buy a better receiver. Zidoo can play it. However, your current setup is telling Zidoo (through EDID) that it cannot accept DD+. So, Zidoo won't send it.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2022
  12. Peter M

Peter M New Member

Thank you, I get it now. I had thought pass-through meant that the amp just played what it was presented with.
    I have a really good amp, the only problem its 12 yrs old, Had no idea they all have to talk to each other as well now.
    I think it will be easier to just recode all the e-ac-3 videos I have.

Cheers

13. Markswift2003

No not at all!!

You have the Zidoo connected to the TV and the TV does not support E-AC3.

The EDID is a file in the TV that tells the Zidoo (and any other sources) what it can and can't do. If the TV tells the Zidoo that it can't accept E-AC3 then the Zidoo will not send it.

Connect Zidoo > Amp > TV and you will be able to play all formats supported by the amp including E-AC3, DTS-HD etc...

Netmask likes this.
  14. Peter M

Peter M New Member

Hi Guys, Thanks for being patient with a newbie, If I can just clarify this for anyone else who has the same problem
    I originally had the Zidoo connected straight to TV input and I couldn't get sound from any E-ac3 format videos. However every other format worked perfectly
    So when I posted the help question, I was advised by a couple of helpful guys at the top of this thread to reconfigure the zidoo through the amp, then to TV
    I did the same setup for a beyonwiz (older media player) and it will play everything including E-ac3 format videos through amp-tv or direct to tv
    I had thought that the Denon amp was not recognizing the Zidoo, But doing a hard reset actually gets the zidoo logo on the tv, But then the Denon seems to break the connection.
    So I think AngryVirginian, advice that my 11-year-old amp (Denon 4311) just doesn't want to play nice with a Zidoo.
    As Mark said, its the EDID that dictates what can play, but that's well above my level of knowledge at the moment.
    What confuses me about that scenario is that I can get the Beyonwiz to play that format through both TV & amp, just not the Zidoo

Cheers

Attached Files:

15. Markswift2003

Connect Zidoo > Amp > TV and send the EDID in that case please.

16. Peter M

Peter M New Member

As I cant access the Zidoo while connected like that, is there another way to access the EDID, say through PC on network ?

17. Markswift2003

What do you mean you can't access it?

AngryVirginian likes this.
  18. AngryVirginian

AngryVirginian Active Member

The receiver probably doesn't support 4K resolution.

Markswift2003 likes this.
  19. Markswift2003

Good point!

So that's a non starter...

20. Markswift2003

@Peter M just to confirm - does your Beyonwiz play E-AC3 and if so, how is that connected?