DVDs still play in the WRONG ASPECT RATIO! WHY?

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X10' started by ursiel, Oct 4, 2018.

1. ursiel

ursiel Active Member

For months I have reported about this issue, and it still has not been fixed in the latest firmware. All 4:3 DVDs play in the wrong aspect ratio.

Because of this, I cannot use this $200 media player to play a 20-year-old DVD. Seriously? Why is this ignored? Many have large libraries of old DVDs. They are unwatchable on this player. PAL is squished and NTSC is stretched.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  2. Blackbeen

Blackbeen Member

The newest firmware is the worst for DVD playback I've found, I've never have had a problem with DVD playback prior but now the video stutters constantly.

3. ursiel

ursiel Active Member

I haven't watched any DVDs other than testing for the aspect ratio bug which is still present. So it stutters on DVDs too, huh? This aspect ratio issue has been with the player right from the beginning and they never fixed it, even though I've talked about it months ago in here and tried to make a big enough issue of it that they would fix it.

DVDs are unwatchable on this player.

4. Blackbeen

Blackbeen Member

I've only been watching the Science Fiction Theatre DVDs I mostly watch BDs & mkvs, I haven't noticed a AR problem, but its 50's TV so I'm not so picky, they played fine before the last firmware, which is especially bad, nothing relevant fixed more things broke.

5. ursiel

ursiel Active Member

It's only 4:3 DVDs that play in the wrong aspect ratio. Widescreen DVDs seem fine.

6. Blackbeen

Blackbeen Member

Science Fiction Theatre is 4:3

7. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

You need to wait for the X10 update as both X9S and Z9S got more Aspect Ratio settings among others meant for this problem. This is the 2.1.12 FW.

8. ursiel

ursiel Active Member

I would really like to believe this. We'll wait and see. I'm skeptical. Can anyone who has this firmware for the x9 or x9s confirm that 4:3 DVDs play correctly now? Because I used to own the x9s and that also had the same exact 4:3 aspect ratio issue with DVDs.

9. ursiel

ursiel Active Member

Also, it's not just the DVD format that has 4:3 ratio issues. Just 5 minutes ago I tried playing a 4:3 mkv and just like DVD folders, it plays in the wrong aspect ratio. It's a 4:3 29.970 mkv file ripped from and NTSC DVD, and it plays stretched just like DVDs so. It has pillarboxes but they aren't the correct width, so the image is stretched.

I have pointed this out months and months ago.