Dolby Vision / HDR10

Discussion in 'ZIDOO Z9S' started by furzgesicht, Aug 22, 2022.

1. furzgesicht

furzgesicht Member

Let me start by telling you what I know about the Z9S: the player cannot play Dolby Vision, but it can play HDR10.

My problem:
    When I play a film with Dolby Vision, there is a clearly incorrect representation of the colours.
    I am very surprised about this, as every DV film automatically includes the HDR10 data. Is the Z9S not capable of reading only the HDR10 data and displaying an image as it should be ?!

Thank in advance for any knowledge-enhancing answers!

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

I assume you're playing Profile 5 Dolby Vision?

Profile 7 is backwards compatible with HDR10 simply because the base layer is HDR10 but Profile 5 absolutely is not compatible at all - it's encoded in an entirely different colour space.

3. furzgesicht

furzgesicht Member

Thank you for your quick answer.

I actually didn't know about different DV profiles, learned something again.

How can I recognise which DV profile is involved in a video file in the mkv container? Does mediainfo give reliable informations?

4. Markswift2003

Yes - MediaInfo will show in the video section.

Profile 7 is usually shown as dvhe.07.06 and profile 5 as dvhe.05.06

The dvhe bit means Dolby Vision HEVC, the first number is the profile and the second number is the level which essentially defines max resolution and framerate (actually pixel rate and horizontal resolution, but it amounts to the same thing).

For example, 4K23 is level 06, so dvhe.07.06 would generally be Profile 7 4K23 HEVC Dolby Vision.

5. furzgesicht

furzgesicht Member

Thank you very much for providing these important informations.

Last question: Is the Z9X able to output profile 5-videos correctly? If so this would/could be a good reason to upgrade to this device.

6. Markswift2003

Yes it does.

It's a good enough reason if you want to view these videos correctly ;)

7. deHavilland

deHavilland New Member

Z9X. I have an Amazon webdownload with video of this format (by mediainfo) :
    Main 10@L5.1@High
    HDR format : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.07.06, BL+EL+RPU, Blu-ray compatible / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible
    Codec ID : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC
    The picture is generally dark and high contrast, but the real issue is the shadows that have a strong tint into red/violett/aubergine.
    When I play the movie from stick directly into the TCL the picture is all okay. Same on Monitor thru VLC media player. Cable is quality HDMI 2.1. Other UHD movies (incl. DV) play well. I probably need to adapt some color space setting in Z9X?

EDIT: Could solve my issue by switching to the TV's eArc/Arc input. However, I don't understand why that would make the difference. Anyone with an explaination?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2023
  8. Markswift2003

You would be better starting a new thread in the correct forum so Z9X users see it.