Dolby Vision FREEZE at approx. 1h16m / multiple titles (UPDATED)

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Markswift2003, Mar 2, 2021.

1. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Re-ripped LOTR with MakeMKV 1.15.2 which is the version I used for 2001 and the debug log showed the same error as when I ripped with v1.16.0 and the freeze was at exactly the same place - 77m 6s, so the MakeMKV version isn't a variable in this.

2. Markswift2003

Any random issues are a different problem. This issue is 100% repeatable at exactly the same playback time.

If your LOTR rips are played back in HDR10 you won't see this problem - it only happens with native Dolby Vision playback.

3. OlivierQC

OlivierQC Well-Known Member

Ok thank you Mark, so i have this problem with gemini man since fw 0.90

4. Markswift2003

Yes it's not a new problem - I reported it to Zidoo back in December and first noticed it on 2001: A Space Odyssey in firmware v6.0.60 but I assume it's been there longer.

At the time, as I said earlier, I didn't attach much importance to it since other DV MEL titles played fine but it's obviously a bit more of an issue than I originally thought.

The thing is, now Dune are in the game, these Dolby issues need addressing otherwise Zidoo will lose traction.

5. OlivierQC

Hello Mark,

I totally agree with you about the new Dune HD and it becomes worrying and it's not only the DV support, for example the point 1 ''BD menu processing'' often comes up in the forums and this problem is as old as the world itself.

6. ghostshadow

ghostshadow Member

hello, I have the 3 Lords of the Rings in MKV Dolby Vision, long version, I have no gel on any of the 3. I watched them 2 times each. No frost.
    MakeMKV v1.15.4, HDR format : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.08.06, BL+RPU, HDR10 compatible / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible

7. Markswift2003

Yeah, you'd expect that since the Zidoo supports Profile 8 natively under the Dolby SDK.

How did you convert to Profile 8 - Yusesope's tools?

8. Eleonor

Eleonor Active Member

@ghostshadow
    Can you tell more what is it THIS ? :)
    Where can I download this tool?

9. OlivierQC

Hello Ghost,

I see on your capture hevc-BEO.mkv (just for information and for trying one) these releases works in HDR10 instead of DV with Zidoo devices.

10. ghostshadow

ghostshadow Member

Hello OlivierQC, me it works in DV since I do the encoding from Remux.
    Bonjour OlivierQC, moi ça fonctionne en DV puisque je fais l'encode a partir du Remux.

11. OlivierQC

Hello Ghost,

I had forgotten this detail :p

Thank you for the information

les BEO et KLP33 sont correct avec la ShieldTV et plex sauf erreur mais pas sur la Zidoo.

12. Markswift2003

So to throw a bit more light on this - the new Dunes have exactly the same issue - a freeze at 76mins on the same DV rips.

So unfortunately this would seem to indicate that this issue is intrinsic to the SOC/VS10 rather than the development teams.

13. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

I know it isn't right but I can live with it - use the pause/freeze for a tea/pee break ;)

14. ammar11

ammar11 Well-Known Member

Does this mean it cannot be fixed?

15. Markswift2003

Not necessarily, but at least it does mean it's not Zidoo's fault!

ammar11 likes this.
  16. Inikad

Inikad Active Member

So we have a not totally functional DV playback and we are stuck with that?

I don't expect a lot from Realtek to solve this issue with this generation of SOC.

17. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Curious to know why this is such a big deal - am I missing something?

18. Markswift2003

Because certain DV rips freeze at 76 or 77 minutes due to the Dolby VES Splitter crashing.

19. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Yes, so at the freeze, restart it and continue where you left off - is this a problem, really?

20. ammar11

ammar11 Well-Known Member

That isn't how we're supposed to watch a movie, it takes you out of the experience. You might be okay but for many of us prefer not to do that.

Some has problem with something else say small LED display, that is not bothering me but I respect others who does.