doesn't recognice hard drive 4tb

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X9S' started by hoplitas, Oct 16, 2017.

1. hoplitas

hoplitas New Member

:mad::mad:

I just tried with two different hard drives and doesn't recognize it.
    New hard drive, Seagate Barracuda 4tb (3.5"), tested in Exfat and Ntfs.
    GPT partition.
    Software 1.4.12.
    Connected via SATA.
    Amazing

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  2. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

I have a seagate desktop 4tb, tested and working fine with x9s, that's all i'm going to say, not going to waste my time helping you with this attitude

3. hoplitas

hoplitas New Member

Thank you very much, you were really helpful, of course you are only "the moderator" so everything works perfectly.
    Thanks again for your incredible support, the support is as amazing as the quality of the Zido media center.
    Best regards.
    ;)

4. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

No problem, i can see you are new here , and young probably, do you see any topic on " non working 4TB hdd's ?"

5. hoplitas

hoplitas New Member

Yeah very young only 45 years old......
    But I feel young, maybe is the attitude.
    ;)

6. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

you must be american then, usually at your age you get some sort of wisdom

again. do you see any topic on " non working 4TB hdd's ?"

7. hoplitas

hoplitas New Member

Sorry again, I supposed your are a really great moderator, but not a good fortune teller, I'm from Europe, thats why my english is not good and I can not correct the misspell in the title of this post....(piece instead of pice, and I know the title was really harsh, but I couldn't change....)
    Of course I took a look at the topic you mention, format the hard drive 3 times, erase 4tb of movies everytime, change formats, Exfat, Ntfs, try with other drives (buy other Seagate 4tb (same problem) so another waste of money), try with 2tb drives (they work), change from MRB partition to GPT, connected via SATA and USB, so believe it or not I tried everything.
    And when I tried to change the tittle of the post couldn't either, so really frustrating...
    Anyway piece of crap it's not a good definition, too harsh, I'm sorry, but trust me it's not a good media center either, we are being use as beta tester, instead of gave us a good software is full of bugs, I don't care of little bugs, but if you say it supports 6tb hard drive and mine (2 of them, good brand and expensive, Seagate Barracuda) dont work.....
    Best regards and sorry for the long post, and sorry (but just a little) for the harsh title of this post.

8. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

you on latest firmware ?
    can you also setup openwrt ( connect to ip of the box using a browser ) , does it appear under system/mount points ?

9. hoplitas

hoplitas New Member

Thanks for change the title...
    Yes last firmware 1.4.12, no, never use ip or network connection, always use SATA and sometimes USB using a hard case.
    No, it doesn't appear in ZDMZ, not in browser either, not in Kodi.
    As you know each time you connect a hard drive to an android device, android write some folders (2 or 3 .zxc, Android and LOST.DIR) in the hard drive, this doesn't happend either.
    I know the hard drive is working because it works in PC, and when I connected to Zidoo start to spin, I can hear the buzzing...
    But other than this the hard drive is dead.
    I tried with other hard drive (same brand and model) so its not the fisical hard drive...
    When I tried with othe hard drives (same brand and model but 2tb instead or 4tb) the player and browser and everything works good.

10. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

openwrt is independent OS and runs in parallel with android.
    if you can connect the box to network and use a PC in the same LAN to test, or connect 127.0.0.1 using the box browser will bring up the openwrt interface and see if it detects the HDD,

https://www.pcgarage.ro/hard-disk-uri/seagate/barracuda-4tb-sata-iii-5900rpm-64mb/ i'm using this HDD, and work's fine for me.

i know test's of 6+ HDD's of 8TB, so the problem is not from the capacity

11. Ayokoya

Ayokoya Member

My 4TB Seagate Barracuda ST4000DM005 formatted in GPT & NTFS works fine with FW 1.4.12, along with all FW version since the beginning of 2017, and many other drives from 1TB to 4TB.

The only problem I had with storage was trying hook up my massive library by using USB hubs with +10 USB HDDs and one SATA HDD, I get all sort of weird issues like HDDs not seen by X9S and some others that I don't remember, but you can read my posts in this forum. To get around the issues I had with that many drives, I used USB hubs with switches so that I only turn on the HDDs I need, and stay with under 4 drives to work reliably. I believe this is Android OS limitation, and no one expect an android device to be a huge server.

The X9S is not a piece of crap, otherwise I would not have bought an additional X9S as a spare during Amazon prime day sale a few months ago, the only issue I have with RDT1295 product line is that there is no software decode to fall back to with old video formats. I am the crazy person who buy a few android devices every few months to see if there are more capable android devices, and give away the less capable ones.

12. hoplitas

hoplitas New Member

Yeah this is exactly the same HDD, same brand and model.
    I used box browser to access openwrt, there I went to disk and the hard drive is there, HDD is there, empty but its there, I edit the partition and select GPT.
    In PC my hard drive was not recognized, maybe because I edit GPT partition, so accessed to drives, format again in GPT & NTFS, and copy a movie to test.
    But....
    Connected via SATA.
    HDD is connected, buzzing but nothing more.
    Again Zido can not access to hard drive.
    Appears in openwrt but not in ZDMZ not in Kodi not in explorer....

I've done this with 2 different HDD, both of them Seagate Barracuda 4tb, with 2tb no problems at all....

Frustrating, indeed not a piece of crap, sorry for my "old" words, but not a great media player either, of course in my point of view, if for me 2 different 4tb HDD dont work....

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  13. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

your pc can'd detect GPT ? are you on windows xp ? becase GPT should work from windows 7 and up. what did you use to format it ? get eseus free partition manager. delete the partition you have now on the HDD, and create a new partition from scratch , make sure to hit apply in eseus so it does actually remake the partition

14. hoplitas

hoplitas New Member

Yeah my PC can detect GPT, I'm running Windows 7, I meant that after edit partition with openwrt my HDD was not recognized in PC.
    When I put it in external bay in my PC, HDD was like brand new, so I again formatted the HDD in GPT at begining and after that formatted in NTFS.
    Later I copy a movie (yeah I tested the movie in PC and even in Zidoo with another HDD, 2tb this time, and movie did fine).
    When I conneted HDD 4tb (in fact I connected both of them, not at the same time, just in case one of my HDD 4tb were broken) via SATA with only one movie in Zidoo, nothing happened, buzzing and nothing else.
    In openwrt appears, so its there but not in Zidoo using android, not green icon on right-bottom part screen, not in explorer, not in ZDMZ not in Kodi.
    As I told you before, android did not write "android folders" (.zxc, Android and LOST.DIR) in my HDD so I'm pretty sure HDD 4tb are not recognized in my Zidoo.
    :(

15. Ayokoya

Ayokoya Member

Sorry to chime in again, but openwrt is linux based, and I believe partition edited by linux is not 100% compatible with windows. In the past, I had to use windows' command prompt to run diskpart to perform a clean operation so that the HDD can be brought back to window's fold after initialization and format. May be I am barking up the wrong tree again.....

16. hoplitas

hoplitas New Member

Yeah, thats why I had to format the HDD again in windows, but it didn't matter, the problem is the same...
    Format in openwrt, format in windows, GPT, NTFS, 2 different HDD 4tb (just in case one of them was broken), using Zidoo explorer, ZDMZ, Kodi...

My Zidoo doesn't recognize HDD 4tb.

:(:mad:

17. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

Last thing to try is a complete os reflash.

18. hoplitas

hoplitas New Member

Yeah, I guess it's the next thing, or maybe try with an older firmware, let's see...
    Thanks anyway!!!

Of course if the problem is fixed I'd let you know.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  19. Random_Vibration

Random_Vibration Active Member

The same can be said of you. You should at your age obtain some sort of wisdom to not be so arrogant and presumptuous about a person's nationality because of your own personal biases. I didn't blame your nationality because of your immature, presumptuous, and bigoted behavior. One could assume your parents are to blame but I'm not going to do that either. Are you sure you're a moderator because there's little moderation in the way in which you use to conduct yourself.

You're rather haughty in your disdain for Americans. Why don't you show some maturity and take that trash talk off this dicussion board. If you don't want to help someone, you don't have too. You don't have to disparage people based upon your twice faulty presumptions. I will tell you straight up, that game YOU WILL NOT RUN ON ME.

Step down if you cannot conduct yourself like an adult. Delete my post and I'll take it up with Zidoo directly.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  20. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

i don't delete those type of posts, and you can take it up with zidoo directly. I also agree with you. i also don't like Germans and gypsy's