Compatibility of the native player with plex or kodi (ZDMC)

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by gogo789, Dec 14, 2020.

Tags:
  1. gogo789

gogo789 Active Member

I have a plex server since a while and for the moment HT4 is not able to replace plex, in term of media recognition for exemple.

So I installed the play store plex app on the zidoo and configure it to use the zidoo native player as external player. My problem is that the zidoo player doesn't see the internal subtitle tracks. If I configure another external player for plex (as MXPlayer) it can find the internal subtitle without an issue. I have the same issue with the plugin PlexForKodi on ZDMC.

The other issue is of course the fact that when playing a video with ZDMC you can't use the resume function, it doesn't work.

Would it be possible to have some help with this, maybe there is workarounds I don't know, thank you in advance :)

2. Sledgehamma

Sledgehamma Well-Known Member

Best thing imho would be for Zidoo to use Plex/Emby/Jellyfin as DB/Server and just function as a client. This is exactly the way infuse does it.
    This way you get the excellent scraping of these platforms and have all the media synced between all your devices.

AngryVirginian likes this.
  3. gogo789

gogo789 Active Member

Yes it would be amazing but just adding more compatibility for their player would be enough for me, other app recognize the external player it should be able to read embedded subtitles.
    I'm also trying PlexKodiConnect but I have a big library (more than 1000 films and a hundred of series) and the sync is a bit slow even with the direct path option, in more pretty interfaces like embuary are laggy on the zidoo.

4. ammar11

ammar11 Well-Known Member

I'm using ZDMC myself. When you use external player (in this case Zidoo) it doesn't know any activities of the videos because it was not Kodi playing it. So there's no way for Kodi to keep track.

If you want ZDMC to behave just like normal Kodi, disable external player in the ZDMC player settings. A disadvantage of this you will not get any Zidoo specific features i.e. PGS subtitle brightness, etc. and you'll also not get Dolby Vision which kinda beat the purpose.

I have tested using Zidoo player in Mapping HDR10 HDR mode (means no DV), the stuttering issue of DV titles still there. So if you don't care about DV, set HDR Mode to Auto and turn off external player in Kodi. All DV titles that have stuttering issues before including Lord of the Rings will play smoothly in HDR10.

But then again you don't need Z9X if you don't utilise the DV capability. But thinking about it the DV doesn't work anyway, so yeah you decide lol.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
  5. gogo789

gogo789 Active Member

The zidoo player is recognized as an external player by other apps, it should be possible to accept a timestamp to resume the video. I think the issue is with the way it receive the arguments. When I use the zidoo file explorer it can resume the video. The esplorer have the info and give it to zidoo, it should be the same thing with plex or kodi calling the external player. As I said the resume function work with other external player like MXPlayer so this is not a kodi or plex limitation.

6. boxerfan

boxerfan Active Member

Today I tried the ZDMC internal player, I notice when playing media, the frame rate switch by the internal player is a lot smoother without black flash.

Could the Zidoo native player frame rate switching be improved to be similar?

7. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Agreed - it would be great to have an external scraper and centralised database. It's a pain in the arm having multiple devices, each with it's own database.

Sledgehamma and gogo789 like this.
  8. lawdawg

lawdawg Active Member

I know this is an old thread, but I was curious how you managed to get the Plex app to use the Ziddo's media player? I downloaded the Plex client from the google store (version 8.27.0.29615) from the Google store, but I can't find anything in the Plex client settings related to an external player. Could you point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

9. pcristi

pcristi Active Member

General/Advanced/Player
    Screenshot.jpg

Zidoo RTD1619DR player are not compatible with Plex client set with External Player.
    Better to try use Plex player, then maybe can get 4K HDR/DD,DD+,DTS passthrough working.

Enjoy Zidoo players.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2021
  10. gogo789

gogo789 Active Member

Hi,
    You can't configure the plex app to select the Zidoo player as external player, it's not compatible.
    For using zidoo native player I have developed an application which do the bridge between plex and the Zidoo native player.
    The idea is that my app can be called as external player by plex and can then call the Zidoo native player.
    Would you be interested to test it?

nc88keyz likes this.
  11. lawdawg

lawdawg Active Member

I would be happy to test your application.

nc88keyz likes this.
  12. gogo789

gogo789 Active Member

Yes of course :) I'm really busy this weekend but the next week I will modify some stuff, push my code on github and share you the apk :)

pcristi likes this.
  13. lawdawg

lawdawg Active Member

Sounds great. Looking forward to trying it out.

14. AngryVirginian

AngryVirginian Active Member

@gogo789 I would be happy to test it out too (and contribute to the source if you need another coder).

15. lawdawg

lawdawg Active Member

Friendly bump to see if you need any help testing.

16. Aleale74

Aleale74 New Member

17. bowlingbeeg

bowlingbeeg Active Member