Certain ASS Subtitles Bork Z9X

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Nathan W, May 29, 2023.

1. Nathan W

Nathan W Member

I am utilizing the FW 6.4.62 with a Z9X. I've seen this happen as far back as a year ago so is not issue with specific FW version and across multiple shows and releases.

Some ASS subtitles will utilize styles/positions that the Zidoo does not support. The Zidoo does not catch this properly and instead of just ignoring what it cannot do it tries to play them, breaking the player until a full reboot.

The first screenshot shows what it looks like when it hits something it cannot render
    The second screenshot is the result a few seconds later, and the player will display this "corruption" until the device has been rebooted. Exiting the player and opening up a different file will have this same issue until a reboot. Putting to sleep doesn't resolve either.

Possible resolutions are

1. Replace existing ASS subtitle render with libass (https://github.com/libass/libass) which is the standard for ASS subtitles

2. Update existing ASS render for specific issues as they come up

3. For time being stop player from trying to display what it cannot do, and instead ignore.

1.jpg 2.jpg

2. lanz

lanz Member

Unfortunately, there's no chance of Zidoo solving this problem. At least not on this generation of devices.

Zidoo can't use libass for legal reasons. They could but they would have to opensource most of their software.

The only way to get proper subtitle rendering with Zidoo is to extract internal subtitles from your MKV. Yes, it's laborious, but it's the only way to avoid freezing your Zidoo.

I started writing a guide to getting a near-perfect experience with your Zidoo using mkvtoolnix, gmkvextractgui, tinymediamanager and mcbluna's home theater db tool, but I switched to CoreELEC, which recently started working with Dolby Vision.

Last edited: May 31, 2023
  3. Edworld

Edworld Member

@lanz
    Are you running coreelec on zidoo or different box?

4. lanz

lanz Member

Not Zidoo, I am using a Nokia 8010. Dolby Vision playback sometimes fail, more often than with my Z9X but internal subtitle rendering and scraping (without renaming my files) are perfect. I am currently using the Zidoo V10 Mini remote because the Nokia one is shit.

I was and still am very happy with my Zidoo and seriously if they fixed the internal subtitle rendering and updated their software translations, I wouldn't even look to change.

Edworld likes this.