Cast to Zidoo from phone/laptop?

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X5' started by JaredK, Aug 23, 2016.

1. JaredK

JaredK New Member

Is it possible to Cast a screen from a laptop or an android phone to the Zidoo?

I've tried Miracast, EZCast, and Google Cast. All of them seem to be set up to cast FROM the Zidoo TO an Android TV or Chromecast. I'd like to do the opposite - to cast from my laptop (using the Chrome browser on Win10), or from my Android phone and have it show up on my Zidoo X5, which is plugged into my TV.

The X5 product page talks about "Easy Cast," but I don't see the app anywhere.

2. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

Depends on what you wan't to cast. and from where. Most easy way is trough UPnP . Have it turn on in ZDMC. Most programs that can cast trough UPnP or DLNA should see your box .
    eg: VUZE torrent client as build in DLNA, can cast to ZDMC any movies you have downloaded ( legally,ok ? ). EDGE browser can boardast youtube videos to ZDMC. ALLCAST on android can broadcast videos. etc

for the entire screen... its a little more complicated.

3. JaredK

JaredK New Member

Thanks HaoSs.

I've installed the "Play to Kodi" extension in chrome which allows some videos from youtube to be sent to Kodi.

I was still hoping for a solution as simple as a chromecast, where I could cast a tab from chrome or even my desktop to this device very easily. I'd like the Zidoo to be able to show web pages (including video feeds from news sites that don't work with the "play to kodi" app), pictures from my computer, etc. I find this much easier to control from the laptop rather than uploading media to the zidoo, or trying to navigate with the zidoo/kodi UI.

I'd rather not add ANOTHER device and buy a chromecast. I thought this android device would be capable of doing this simply.

4. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

Again. Depends on what you need . chromecast only " casts " video. This has a decoder. Capable of playing video with no PC needed.

5. JaredK

JaredK New Member

Yes, and I also use it to play videos directly off of a USB drive. It works well for that.

But I was also hoping it would have the ability to "cast":
    - I would like to be able to cast browser tabs from chrome, including streaming videos that don't seem to work with browser plug-ins like Play to Kodi.
    - I would like to cast my desktop so I can easily share pictures from my laptop, rather than plugging in an HDMI cable or exporting photos, copying to a USB drive, and navigating through them on the Zidoo.

I know it's possible (like using a Mac, AppleTV, and Airplay, or like using the Chrome browser and a chromecast). I'm just wondering if it's possible with this device, or if I have to buy yet another device.

If it's possible with the Zidoo X5, let me know! Thanks!

6. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

I understand you. the limitation is not the box tho. Is android. Not designed to " recieve " things. So at the moment, don't think you can cast things like you want. unless there is a pay'd app i don't know about.

Also ty for the extension. Must be new. did not find it 2 months ago.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
  7. marmotta

marmotta New Member

I'd also like to use the zidoo (x9s) as a Google cast target, but unfortunately, the Google cast receiver app can only be installed on certain Android TV boxes. There was a clone (cheapcast), but it does no longer work since Google changed the SDK.